Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-21-2018, 03:00 AM   #166
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I think the price is very good. It’s a bottom end e-reader with very good specs. Nothing “expensive” about it.
"bottom-end" "with very good specs" - sorry to be repetitive, but this also to me sounds like the definition of "bottom-end" in this case is purely size - it's small, ergo it's bottom end. That seems strange to me.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:12 AM   #167
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
While you can't do a Google search, you can search Wikipedia (or within the book, or within the entire library) on a Kindle as well.
Yup, just the Google search I miss. Wikipedia on its own isn't always enough. I use search within the book a lot in both, but don't think I've ever had a need to use Kindle's search within the entire library feature.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2018, 09:15 AM   #168
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
don't think I've ever had a need to use Kindle's search within the entire library feature.
I have, and I'm sure I'll miss it now I've left the Amazon. For Wodehouse, Pratchett, Allingham, Ngaio Marsh and others when I know I've seen a particular word or phrase in ONE of the books but can't remember WHICH, the Kindle feature was invaluable
Old 10-21-2018, 11:09 AM   #169
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
"bottom-end" "with very good specs" - sorry to be repetitive, but this also to me sounds like the definition of "bottom-end" in this case is purely size - it's small, ergo it's bottom end. That seems strange to me.
Yeah, true "bottom-end" (properly, entry-level) ereaders are, like the Basic Kindle, purely reflective, SVGA, without backlight or maybe touch.

The Paperwhite line is really a mid-range reader, following the classic marketing rules of Good--better--best.

On the Kindle side this is easily seen as (Basic) Kindle--Paperwhite--Oasis.
On the Kobo side it's Clara--Aura--Forma.
Pocketbook it's Basic, Lux, Touch, etc.

What might be confusing people is that Kobo's "entry level" Clara is configured like a Paperwhite as their sales volumes can't really support a true entry level reader like Amazon's, Pocketbook, and most of the european vendors. Instead, their strategy is to offer added features at higher prices and defining their midrange and premium models by size. It's a good approach for smaller vendors...
...with the downside that they are effectively surrendering the true entry level, which impacts their bookstore and publisher appeal.

(shrug)

Kobo has bigger competitive issues than a lack of a US$50 reader for newcomers and gifting.
Mainstream visibility and partner reliability among them.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-21-2018 at 11:20 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #170
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
I'm never going to buy this formula, because it's still basically a straight line of size that says, bigger is better, and biggest is, ipso facto, best. I think of it more as covering different marketing niches. Try sticking an 8-inch reader in your pocket. For me, if readers offer similar features and differ only in screen size, then they are of equivalent quality, just in different categories.
Advert
Old 10-21-2018, 11:41 AM   #171
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Tiny screen, massive bezels, no night light. Kobo is running circles around them.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #172
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
I'm never going to buy this formula, because it's still basically a straight line of size that says, bigger is better, and biggest is, ipso facto, best. I think of it more as covering different marketing niches. Try sticking an 8-inch reader in your pocket. For me, if readers offer similar features and differ only in screen size, then they are of equivalent quality, just in different categories.
Different strokes for different folks.
But the marketers always dream of nudging folks to more expensive models and for some people bigger = better.

(I had a co-worker who bought his cars by the ton. Proudly.
When they stopped building full size read drive cars, he went for the biggest SUV around. )
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #173
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Yeah, true "bottom-end" (properly, entry-level) ereaders are, like the Basic Kindle, purely reflective, SVGA, without backlight or maybe touch.

The Paperwhite line is really a mid-range reader, following the classic marketing rules of Good--better--best.

Pocketbook it's Basic, Lux, Touch, etc.

What might be confusing people is that Kobo's "entry level" Clara is configured like a Paperwhite as their sales volumes can't really support a true entry level reader like Amazon's, Pocketbook, and most of the european vendors. Instead, their strategy is to offer added features at higher prices and defining their midrange and premium models by size. It's a good approach for smaller vendors...
...with the downside that they are effectively surrendering the true entry level, which impacts their bookstore and publisher appeal.

(shrug)

Kobo has bigger competitive issues than a lack of a US$50 reader for newcomers and gifting.
Mainstream visibility and partner reliability among them.
Isn't Kobo's entry level reader the Kobo Aura (2nd ed)?

It should be Aura, Clara, Aura One, Forma.

Or are you saying that the Aura and Clara are so close in price that no one would consider purchasing the Aura and just purchase the Clara?

At Walmart (U.S.), the Prices for the Kobos are: $100, $130 (out of stock), $254, and $279

For Amazon (U.S.) the Kindle prices (with special offers, wifi only): $80, $130, $269
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #174
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Kindle Store has quite a number of dictionaries that you can purchase that function as lookup and translation dictionaries, if the ones that come with Kindle seem insufficient. I don’t think that is an option with either Nook or Kobo ecosystems.
Kobo has three pages of free installable dictionaries. By default, my Kobo set for English has English, German-English, Spanish-English, French-English, Italian-English and Portuguese-English. If you want more there are pages and pages of English-whatever dictionaries you can add with the touch of a button.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #175
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I forgot the Kobo H2O2 for $180.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:04 PM   #176
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Yeah, not disputing whether it's a better dictionary -- just that I don't notice myself.
I agree with you completely. Just, since I was talking to a Kindle user unfamiliar with Kobo, I wanted to be clear. If Kobo started using the OED today, it wouldn't impact me as I rarely use the dictionary. But to others, maybe it matters a great deal.

Quote:
I was saying this may very well be because on Kobo you can do a Google search (or search Wikipedia, or search within the book) for the highlighted word(s) if the dictionary entry leaves you wanting to know more. And I miss that when I'm reading on my Kindle.
That's good to know. I didn't know Kindle couldn't do a Google search.

I'm realizing that on my reader I rarely use most features. There's stuff you guys talk about on here (Wikipedia and Google search, highlighting and notes, etc) that I wouldn't miss if it was taken away.

We all use our readers for the same purpose, but we sure manage to use them in different ways.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #177
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
why so many threads on the same topic?
Kindle is the 800 pound gorilla in the e-reader market. A new Kindle is going to generate a lot of conversation.

And as a Kobo user who is unlikely to move to Kindle, I have to say good on Amazon. The new Paperwhite looks like a very nice upgrade in my opinion. They've managed to make the Paperwhite almost as nice as the Voyage (nicer in some ways: double the storage, waterproofing and Bluetooth) for a much cheaper price.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #178
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Sorry, are there any numbers available about this? How is Kobo a "small vendor" and who sells more ereaders than Kobo in Europe, with the exception of Amazon? I'm genuinely confused.
Either way, Kobo used to produce entry level ereaders until not long ago. My bet is that they simply decided that diversifying their offer based on screen size would make them more competitive with Amazon than trying to compete on a device-to-device basis. Amazon were forced to adapt not long ago, so I assume that must have worked.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #179
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Kobo has three pages of free installable dictionaries. By default, my Kobo set for English has English, German-English, Spanish-English, French-English, Italian-English and Portuguese-English. If you want more there are pages and pages of English-whatever dictionaries you can add with the touch of a button.
... plus there's a dedicated Kobo thread with links to various custom dictionaries built by MR members.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #180
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
Tiny screen, massive bezels, no night light. Kobo is running circles around them.
A six inch screen is tiny? That's the standard size for all e-reader companies. They might make different sizes as well, but their bread and butter readers are six inch. Lots of people (myself included) don't want a larger screen.

I don't understand the knee-jerk antipathy to bezels. You have to be able to hold the thing.