Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Pancrazi
Pancrazi began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Odyssey
Managing physical books with Calibre

Hello,

I'm a new Calibre user, and am very happy with it.

So happy I'm starting to think about managing my physical books with this smart software.

Maybe the subject has already been covered here, in this case, I apology.

Otherwise, I'd like, before I start, to be sure about the way to do it.

Firts, is it a good idea ?
If yes, how to do it ?

What I think now is :

a-Create a custom column with "ebook" or "physical book" as labels, or even informations about where the book is (eg. sleeping room, dining room, big bookcase etc)
b- Create an empty book for each physical book I want to manage with Calibre.
c- Fill in the informations about the physical books, including the custom column.

Did I miss something ?
Any pieces of advice ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Antonio
Pancrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancrazi View Post
Hello,

I'm a new Calibre user, and am very happy with it.

So happy I'm starting to think about managing my physical books with this smart software.

Maybe the subject has already been covered here, in this case, I apology.

Otherwise, I'd like, before I start, to be sure about the way to do it.

Firts, is it a good idea ?
If yes, how to do it ?

What I think now is :

a-Create a custom column with "ebook" or "physical book" as labels, or even informations about where the book is (eg. sleeping room, dining room, big bookcase etc)
b- Create an empty book for each physical book I want to manage with Calibre.
c- Fill in the informations about the physical books, including the custom column.

Did I miss something ?
Any pieces of advice ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Antonio
I don't take it as far.

I simply have a tag <In Paper Library> that appears as part of any book that:
1) has an E-version
2) Is an empty book version (could get an e-version added later )

For the Location, I suggest a Text colum of Fixed values (prevents random variations ). You can always add locations later (be wary of changing any location name that is in use)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
It's a great idea, this way you can manage your entire library (paper and digital) with a single tool.

I simply use a tag, Paper, for my paper books.

All my paper books are in one location, but if they were spread out as it sounds like yours are, I would put that info in the description. Of course you should do whatever works for you.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Pancrazi
Pancrazi began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Odyssey
Thank you for these options.
I found you could add a book by his ISBN, which is quicker than typing the infos (when ISBN is available of course).
Text colum of Fixed values seems a great idea. I have to think about all the locations, and about the books I'll have in both electronic and physical forms...

But the job is so huge I think I will do it only for my new physical books...

Anyway thank you very much for your quick answers.

Antoine
Pancrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
allison1
allison1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Or set up heirarchal tags:

paper.location1
paper.location2
allison1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags