Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-20-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
ander111
ander111 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
Copy books between libraries?

This must be simple to do—but having experimented with other Calibre features and done a very good job messing up my library (which I'd wisely backed up first), I thought I'd better ask. :?)

I'd like to set up a 2nd Calibre library where I can import new books to be sure they have proper covers, summaries, and other details before I add them to my main library.

I know how to create a 2nd library (in a folder outside of my main library's folder) and to add books to it. But then, what's the best way to copy the books from there to my main library? Can I just do this?:

1. Open my main library in Calibre

2. Under "Add books", click "Add books from directories, including sub-directories (One book per directory, assumes every ebook file is the same book in a different format)"

3. Select my 2nd library's main folder

Or will that somehow cause complications, because I'd actually be pointing to a separate Calibre library, not just a folder containing subfolders containing books?

Or is this the very kind of thing that command is designed for?

Thanks, Ander
ander111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:36 AM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
if IRC you use two libraries you get an option to send a book from one library to another.
Just make a 2nd library and try it.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 04:37 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That would probably work OK.

However probably better and easier to use is the Calibre facility for copying books between libraries, in conjunction with the option to switch between libraries. It is definitely less likely to go wrong as it is the officially supported way of doing this.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:54 AM   #4
ander111
ander111 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
Ah, right you are—There's a "Copy to library..." command right on the context menu. Thanks!
ander111 is offline   Reply With Quote