Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
ksburgess
ksburgess began at the beginning.

Device: netbook
Confused on PW models & jailbreaking

I am considering getting a PW - I have a 3 year old Fire that I really use only for reading and think a PW might be better for my needs. I use Calibre to manage our ebooks and Calibre Companion on the Fire. That works really well.

We homeschool and I use tags to organize via grade level and subject so it's easy to find what I need at the moment. Plus my own personal books are organized with tags.

It looks to me like a jailbreak and Calibre Collections is the best way to manage books in a similar fashion.

From what I'm seeing, the newest PaperWhite cannot be jailbroken? Should I look at a refurbished older model? Is there a certain firmware I need to look at?

Or is there another option using the newest other than manually adding to collections (I have found some tips for doing that quickly if need be, but it doesn't sound ideal).

Any help is greatly appreciated - or if there's a guide that really breaks down which generations are available, which can be jailbroken, etc. I can look at that. I'm just honestly not sure which generation the current PW on Amazon is, the firmware, etc...

Thank you!
ksburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
Even refurbished or second hand, you cannot be sure that the firmware won't be already upgraded. But if you end up with a unit non-downgradable, you can lock future upgrades and wait until a jailbreak is possible.

Note that several people have been able to downgrade and jailbreak their recently bought pw3... even a new unit might come to you with a firmware that will let you downgrade & jailbreak!
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Read post above ^^^
+
Once jail broken, we have an add-in that will create collections on the Kindle from Calibre.
Also, you can add KOreader, which supports many more book file formats than a stock Kindle.

The PW3, a three year old model Kindle, is still the best value for the price.
Even Amazon claims that is its best selling model, and I don't buy that many of them.
(This isn't a Facebook trending scam.)

Also consider the "refurbished" PW3 devices you can purchase through Amazon.
I don't recall any complaints about those and you might save a few bucks.

Last edited by knc1; 02-22-2018 at 12:38 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:08 PM   #4
ksburgess

Thanks guys, that helps. I think I'll go with the PW3 and hope that it comes to me with a firmware version I can jailbreak
Old 02-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
With no jailbreaks involved, Amazon's built in cloud collections is pretty good, I find. You don't have to add items one at a time -- it's available online, from your Mac/PC. Click Manage Your Content and Devices. Checkmark a bunch of books (maybe that you found by authors, or something in the title). This will enable a button marked "Add to Collections". So you can add a bunch of things at a time, into a collection. At Mac/PC speed, without the delay that comes from doing it *on* the Kindle device.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
ksburgess

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
With no jailbreaks involved, Amazon's built in cloud collections is pretty good, I find. You don't have to add items one at a time -- it's available online, from your Mac/PC. Click Manage Your Content and Devices. Checkmark a bunch of books (maybe that you found by authors, or something in the title). This will enable a button marked "Add to Collections". So you can add a bunch of things at a time, into a collection. At Mac/PC speed, without the delay that comes from doing it *on* the Kindle device.
Okay, got my new Paperwhite for my birthday today and it's at 5.8.11, so it looks like I'm going to be trying this route for the Amazon content, and I'll have to manually add side-loaded books to collections.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksburgess View Post
Okay, got my new Paperwhite for my birthday today and it's at 5.8.11, so it looks like I'm going to be trying this route for the Amazon content, and I'll have to manually add side-loaded books to collections.
Just a comment, you can't use the website method to add ebooks side-loaded via USB to your Kindle collections. It does work for "Docs" emailed to your Kindle though.

You can still add ebooks side-loaded via USB to Cloud Collections directly on the Kindle. It just doesn't carryover if, for example, you get an Oasis 2 or a newer model to replace your Paperwhite.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #8
ksburgess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Just a comment, you can't use the website method to add ebooks side-loaded via USB to your Kindle collections. It does work for "Docs" emailed to your Kindle though.

You can still add ebooks side-loaded via USB to Cloud Collections directly on the Kindle. It just doesn't carryover if, for example, you get an Oasis 2 or a newer model to replace your Paperwhite.
Yep, that's why I said I'll have to manually add the side-loaded ones

In case it helps anyone else, the method June describes in this thread has been pretty quick for helping me get homeschool texts added to collections:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3634610
Old 03-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
That does look like a cool technique! Remember though, that if book XYZ was already ON the kindle then it won't show up as newer-than your marker book. I.E. You may have to look around for books you've sideloaded or downloaded previously. I have that problem when "sending" Amazon books to my Mom, several states away. If I sent it before, then it doesn't pop up at the top. She has to look for it among the older stuff.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yep, that's why I said I'll have to manually add the side-loaded ones

In case it helps anyone else, the method June describes in this thread has been pretty quick for helping me get homeschool texts added to collections:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3634610
Lol, didn't realize someone made a write-up.

Anyway, I've done the same thing when transferring small batches. Alas, it doesn't really work when adding a library of 2,000+ books (hence, I'm searching for a Paperwhite alternative with better collections support).
Old 03-01-2018, 09:09 PM   #11
ksburgess

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
That does look like a cool technique! Remember though, that if book XYZ was already ON the kindle then it won't show up as newer-than your marker book. I.E. You may have to look around for books you've sideloaded or downloaded previously. I have that problem when "sending" Amazon books to my Mom, several states away. If I sent it before, then it doesn't pop up at the top. She has to look for it among the older stuff.
Yeah I noticed that happen with a couple of books that are multi-year books for homeschool. I had to hunt to add them to Year 4 after having brought them in initially for Year 2.

Since I had to highlight them in Calibre to transfer, I left Calibre sitting as-is when I ejected the Kindle. Then I could see the list of books I needed to hunt up (the ones that weren't highlighted due to already being on the device).

A little more time but still not bad
Old 03-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #12
ksburgess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Lol, didn't realize someone made a write-up.

Anyway, I've done the same thing when transferring small batches. Alas, it doesn't really work when adding a library of 2,000+ books (hence, I'm searching for a Paperwhite alternative with better collections support).
Wow we are at 1000+ in Calibre but fortunately I don't need ALL Of them on the PW at a time It does sound like a hassle, especially if you can't have Calibre easily transfer things over. I do already miss Calibre Companion...
Old 03-01-2018, 09:59 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Wow we are at 1000+ in Calibre but fortunately I don't need ALL Of them on the PW at a time It does sound like a hassle, especially if you can't have Calibre easily transfer things over. I do already miss Calibre Companion...
One reason I use tablets for reading is because I don't have to connect it to the PC all the time. Those 2K ebooks are fanfics dumped to Dropbox via tablet over the past 2-3 years. That's already de-duplicated via Calibre, original count was ~3-4K because of all the updates for in-progress fics.

The Paperwhite is great for books purchased from Amazon but if I have to plug it to the PC too often to load it with content, I'll never use it. Which actually did happen. I think last time I used the darned thing was back in 2015. I just couldn't be bothered sideloading fanfics by USB every single day but downloading via web browser is an exercise in frustration. Alas, LCD screens give me migraines so I'm loading up the Kindle given I'm finally organizing my fics anyway.

Mind, I'm planning to buy a Boyue T65 and install Calibre Companion on it.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-01-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:18 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Why are you not using Calibre + LibarianSync on your Kindle now?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:27 AM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Why are you not using Calibre + LibarianSync on your Kindle now?
I thought LibrarianSync required jailbreak? Never really bothered with jailbreaking my Kindle so now it's already too late (running 5.9.4).