Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-14-2015, 07:14 PM   #1
akita
akita began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini retina
export .mobi with specific title output?

hello,
I'm certain this must have been covered somewhere, but I cannot find the answers to my query. So if the topic has been covered, I apologize in advance, and would appreciate any links I should read.

I just bought Kindle Paperwhite 2015. Apparenly I can't jailbreak it (easily), so I can't connect it directly from Calibre. So I intend to upload using "Send to Kindle" app, which is extremely primitive, but works.

but I have many many books that are in a series. And having found out that Calibre Series metadata doesn't really translate to Kindle Collections, I am opting to renaming the title using the Metadat Plugboard before uploading to my kindle account (either manually e-mail, or save the converted file in a folder, and then upload using "Send to Kindle" app)

Here's the situation:
a. I can translate from .epub to .mobi using "send e-mail to ***@kindle.com" and successfully upload the .mobi file to my Kindle account
b. I know how to manually translate from .epub to .mobi without e-mailing out. but I don't know how to direct Calibre to output the converted files to a specific file location..

the problem:
1. I can't get "send to device" with the Metadata Plugboard template, to covert the title using the source script (just keeps the titles same)
2. since I can't find "KindlePaperwhite" as an available device on the Plugboard, I chose Kindle2 for my kindle device in the setup wizard, and chose Kindle2 as the output device in the Plugboard, hoping that will trigger the title conversion.
3. even if I have .mobi-->Kindle2 setting with the following source template, although I can get the file sent to my kindle, it won't change the title:
{series}{series_index:0>2s|[|]: }{title}

so since I can't get the above to work,
1. I was wondering what am I doing wrong
2. if it is possible to make Calibre export the file to a specific folder on a computer first.. so I can validate the change in the title before I upload it to my Kindle account manually (e-mail takes too long)
3. is there a way to get kindle paperwhite 2015 for the Metadata Plugboard device option? or which devices should I be using? or what to choose for folder output?

any help is greatly appreciated. I'm so frustrated (loved Marvin on my iOS, but now Calibre won't talk to it either.. grrr)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plugboard.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	140281  
akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre connects perfectly fine to the latest PW as far as I know.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:14 AM   #3
akita

really? then why is every search I did on kindle/Calibre connection says it requires jailbreak and whatnot? (mine is coming tomorrow, but only have 1.5 days to upload everything, so I wanted to be prepared)
Old 07-15-2015, 12:15 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You only need to jailbreak if you want to use calibre to manage collections on the device, since amazon provides no way to manage collections over a usb connection. You can send and remove books from the device perfectly without needing to jailbreak.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:28 AM   #5
akita

Oh. that is why I needed to jailbreak.. because I wanted to manipulate collections on kindle.

darn.

so then my search for the second path.. is there a way to make Calibre output a .mobi file with altered title based on the series metadata, and save it somewhere on the computer directory somewhere?

intent is to have a .mobi with appropriate modified title with the Series info in a directory, so then I can collect that and batch upload it to my kindle. then at least the books will be grouped together in order when sorted alphabetically, so when I manually create collection within kindle, it will be easier...

Last edited by akita; 07-15-2015 at 03:34 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:32 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Sure, use metadata plugboards and set the device to save_to_disk, then use the save to disk button in calibre to save your books to the disk.

Or alternately use connect to folder in calibre and set the device in the plugboards to FOLDER_DEVICE
Old 07-15-2015, 11:06 PM   #7
akita

Hi,
thanks so much for helping! I think I got the save_to_disk to work to change the title, but I can't get it to translate from .epub to .mobi.
do I have to generate .mobi first and then translate? or is there some setting i can change that will translate to .mobi if I use save_to_disk?
Old 07-15-2015, 11:09 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Use connect to folder instead, you can customize it to auto-convert to a format if the that format is not present when sending books. Do that by right clicking the folder icon after connecting and choosing customize this device, then make sure mobi is the only allowed format for sending.

If you want to use save to disk, you have to convert first.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:53 PM   #9
akita

Hi!
thanks so much! I got the connect to folder working! whoo hooo!!!

You're the best!
Old 07-16-2015, 12:27 AM   #10
akita

I also found out for Kindle to display and sort by a particular title, I have to output to {title_sort} using save to disk...

but I got it to work!

use FOLDER_DEVICE
format so that .mobi will convert using
{series} {series_index:0>2s|#|-}{title} --> {title_sort}

then export to the device.. then upload to Kindle! Yay!

Last edited by akita; 07-16-2015 at 01:44 AM.

Tags
kindle, metadata plugboard, series