Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
mehdivinci
mehdivinci began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which Large E-reader I should Buy??

Hello everyone , I'm new in this forum and I want your help!
Please help me to choose one of this devise which is perfect for me!
Tanks a lot!
I'm a student in electrical engineering and I want a devise that have a perfect performance in showing PDF (including scanned book, scientific article, Table, diagrams,etc) and also I'm starting to read for English degree so I want it have some speaker.
I had some research and seen a lot of review and comparison between some devise but I can't choose!
I found this devises:
1. kindle DX Graphite
2. Pocketbook pro 902 , 903 , 912
3.onyx boox M92
which one do you think is better??

kindle Is:
1.Fast
2.Very popular
3.a bit lighter

But:
1. It is old
2. Not touch
3. Not so good looking (I think)
4. Doesn't support every format
5. The biggest thing , It doesn't have Wi-Fi.
6. The PDF review is not as complete as the other devise

pocketbook is:
1. Nice
2. better operation system
3. better support of PDF files
4. more support format
5. has wifi
6. touch (903,912)
7. new devise

But:
1.The worse thing is that it is really slow!!
2.It is not so popular devise

onyx boox M92:
1. I like its shape!!
2. It is faster than pocketbook! (CPU 800 MHZ vs 553 MHZ in pocketbook)
3. has wifi
4. touch
5. have a lot of thing for PDF
6. support a lot of format

but:
1. It has some bugs (I read about them in this forum)
2. It isn't popular name at all.
3. I don't know how the support is in this company
4. The speaker is very bad place (In the back!!)

these are the most thing I found about this devises!
If you have some suggestion about these devises , or you know about other devise , I will appreciate that guide me please!
It is really important to have one ereader in next month , so please help me!
thanks a lot!
mehdivinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehdivinci View Post
Hello everyone , I'm new in this forum and I want your help!
Please help me to choose one of this devise which is perfect for me!
Tanks a lot!
I'm a student in electrical engineering and I want a devise that have a perfect performance in showing PDF (including scanned book, scientific article, Table, diagrams,etc) and also I'm starting to read for English degree so I want it have some speaker.
I had some research and seen a lot of review and comparison between some devise but I can't choose!
I found this devises:
1. kindle DX Graphite
2. Pocketbook pro 902 , 903 , 912
3.onyx boox M92
which one do you think is better??

kindle Is:
1.Fast
2.Very popular
3.a bit lighter

But:
1. It is old
2. Not touch
3. Not so good looking (I think)
4. Doesn't support every format
5. The biggest thing , It doesn't have Wi-Fi.
6. The PDF review is not as complete as the other devise

pocketbook is:
1. Nice
2. better operation system
3. better support of PDF files
4. more support format
5. has wifi
6. touch (903,912)
7. new devise

But:
1.The worse thing is that it is really slow!!
2.It is not so popular devise

onyx boox M92:
1. I like its shape!!
2. It is faster than pocketbook! (CPU 800 MHZ vs 553 MHZ in pocketbook)
3. has wifi
4. touch
5. have a lot of thing for PDF
6. support a lot of format

but:
1. It has some bugs (I read about them in this forum)
2. It isn't popular name at all.
3. I don't know how the support is in this company
4. The speaker is very bad place (In the back!!)

these are the most thing I found about this devises!
If you have some suggestion about these devises , or you know about other devise , I will appreciate that guide me please!
It is really important to have one ereader in next month , so please help me!
thanks a lot!

There is the Ectaco Color/Hanvon E920 as well.
Giving the research you have done so far you probably know that none of these devices fits the bill - you are basically in an open minefield. I would go with a tablet. If you can't hold yourself back the lesser evil certainly is the M92.
I guess that in maybe one years time someone will come up with a reliable device and finally uses a decent operating system.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
pash
pash began at the beginning.

@ mehdivinci:

What about the JetBook Color?

http://www.jetbookk12.com/jetbookcolor/?refid=29532
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViZnxN0lidc
pash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:17 AM   #4
mehdivinci
mehdivinci began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
Giving the research you have done so far you probably know that none of these devices fits the bill - you are basically in an open minefield. I would go with a tablet. If you can't hold yourself back the lesser evil certainly is the M92.
I guess that in maybe one years time someone will come up with a reliable device and finally uses a decent operating system.
Thaks for your answer , I want ereader not a tablet!
because of its best display for reading and its long battery life!
I like M92 , But I don't know about the company and its support!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pash View Post
Thanks , but this technology is very young and it hasn't be tested by so many people and company , so I would not choose that!

Any other suggestion??
please!!
mehdivinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehdivinci View Post
Thaks for your answer , I want ereader not a tablet!
because of its best display for reading and its long battery life!
I like M92 , But I don't know about the company and its support!!

Thanks , but this technology is very young and it hasn't be tested by so many people and company , so I would not choose that!

Any other suggestion??
please!!

Aren't you becoming a little bit silly? All that is on the market plus the other options are already discussed extensively.
I am looking for the same thing as you - it is simlpy not out there(yet).
For the time being I am stuck with the M92, which is not bad - basically a trial and error situation - only for the adventurous ...
Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Ectaco Jetbook Color is based on Hanvon C920 (color 800 * 600 resolution according to Havon). Hanvon E920 has 1600 * 1200 BW resolution but Ectaco is not planning to release E920 in the US.

Going back to the original poster's question, if you can find one at a decent price, Entourage Edge (not the pocket edge) is a great device for reading academic papers. One problem is that it is discontinued and it is fairly heavy compared to the other readers out there.

Last edited by soilwork; 01-19-2012 at 09:33 AM.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post

Going back to the original poster's question, if you can find one at a decent price, Entourage Edge (not the pocket edge) is a great device for reading academic papers. One problem is that it is discontinued and it is fairly heavy compared to the other readers out there.
I agree with you totally, but the people owning them seem to hang on to them.
I have been searching for a couple of months: nothing ...
Old 01-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #8
LovePlanetEarth
Connoisseur
LovePlanetEarth began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 Black (Finally!!!)
Quote:
Aren't you becoming a little bit silly? All that is on the market plus the other options are already discussed extensively.
I am looking for the same thing as you - it is simlpy not out there(yet).
For the time being I am stuck with the M92, which is not bad - basically a trial and error situation - only for the adventurous ...
It is not being silly, I believe, but rather a desire to choose wisely...

I am looking for exactly the same product and it is also very difficult. I've been waiting for JetBook Color to start selling and people making reviews, but still nothing... Luckily I'm not that desperate and can wait... But I cannot wait forever!

I have come across another option - Hanlin V90 http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...tail.asp?id=47 , but there is not a single review on this one and there is only a fraction of specifications on the website... Can't even understand whether it is a touch or not...
Actually it's the same thing with JetBook Color or Hanvon WISEreader E920 - no reviews! How are the Companies going to sell their devises if consumers cannot get the basic information on them?

And I believe before they make reviews or let someone, let's say Booxtor, review their products, there can be no extensive discussions, simply because there is nothing to discuss...
LovePlanetEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:05 AM   #9
LovePlanetEarth
Connoisseur
LovePlanetEarth began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 Black (Finally!!!)
Well, cannot wait anymore...
I'm getting a BLACK Onyx Boox M92 as soon as Booxtor gets it!!!

LovePlanetEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Nepyk
Nepyk began at the beginning.

It would be nice if you post your oppinion about this device
Nepyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepyk View Post
It would be nice if you post your oppinion about this device
Because it is black? There are already plenty of commentaries/opinions concerning M92 on this forum ...
Old 02-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #12
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The trouble is, no major player besides Amazon is making a large eInk device. And the Amazon one seems outdated. Are there any plans from B&N or Sony to make one? Seems like all anyone cares about are color tablets now.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #13
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
The trouble is, no major player besides Amazon is making a large eInk device. And the Amazon one seems outdated. Are there any plans from B&N or Sony to make one? Seems like all anyone cares about are color tablets now.
Ectaco Jet Color

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167587

Probably the best(if expensive) option ...
Old 02-03-2012, 02:47 AM   #14
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Again, like I said, no major players seem to care about this segment. Ectaco, Onyx, etc. But no Sony. Why is that?

And BTW, from the photos on that review, the text looks very jagged. I can't tell if it is just the photos or it actually looks like that.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #15
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Again, like I said, no major players seem to care about this segment. Ectaco, Onyx, etc. But no Sony. Why is that?
You mean, no major players on the US market.
In several markets Onyx and Pocketbook are major players.

And anyway, why would you want to stick with a 'major player' if a smaller company is able to deliver the goods that you want?
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote