Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-01-2020, 02:20 PM   #1
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Nook Purchase?

Any advantages to the current Nook 7.8" reader compared to the Kobo and Kindle top end ebook readers? Based on group activity here it looks to me like the Nook readers are about dead compared to the Kindle and Kobo readers. As I recall B&N is only in the USA so there is no Nook sales and support outside the USA.

I have multiple Kindle and Kobo readers, the Kindles dating back to the K2 and DX but including more current models too.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:48 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
No advantages other than the form factor for those who don't like lopsided design and/or want buttons on both sides.

Hardware-wise the Nook is actually pretty good. Software-wise, not so much (very few customization options).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2020, 09:37 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Hardware-wise the Nook is actually pretty good. Software-wise, not so much (very few customization options).
I was thinking of getting one but when I heard that you can't install fonts on it I gave up on that idea.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:44 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I was thinking of getting one but when I heard that you can't install fonts on it I gave up on that idea.
It's true you can't install fonts. I like to use Google's Literata Book and Georgia on my Nook is just about as good. But I do wish I could install my own fonts.

Honestly, if a Nook were the only reader I had, I'd be just fine with it. But the software is just missing all the niceties that Kobo has.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
...Georgia on my Nook is just about as good.
I agree. Georgia on my Nook Glowlight Plus (6") is pretty good. I would rather be able to load fonts, but it is usable as is.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I web ordered the current 7.8" B&N Glowlight Plus yesterday as it is not listed as available from the local B&N store. Per a email from UPS this morning it is due for delivery today! Apparently B&N has a local warehouse in the area. Not surprising as many companies do due to Nevada's business inventory tax laws compared to California's. Much cheaper to hold inventory in Nevada and ship to California than warehouse inventory in California from what I have read.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:55 PM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Most of us who have a Nook aren't recommending it because we don't know when/if the wool will be pulled out from under us and Nook shut down. While we technogeeks can get around it, the average ereader reader isn't a technogeek and would be left blowing in the wind.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:03 AM   #8
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Most of us who have a Nook aren't recommending it because we don't know when/if the wool will be pulled out from under us and Nook shut down. While we technogeeks can get around it, the average ereader reader isn't a technogeek and would be left blowing in the wind.
Fortunately an awful lot of DRM free EPUBs available from multiple sources that can be side loaded. Virtually everything from Smashwords as well as Baen and TOR science fiction ebooks plus of course the EPUB books available here at MobileRead Forums and from other sources.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:09 AM   #9
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
And it is possible with the right tools to convert other formats (at this point, almost exclusively MOBI files) to epub if they're DRM free
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:36 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I web ordered the current 7.8" B&N Glowlight Plus yesterday as it is not listed as available from the local B&N store. Per a email from UPS this morning it is due for delivery today! Apparently B&N has a local warehouse in the area. Not surprising as many companies do due to Nevada's business inventory tax laws compared to California's. Much cheaper to hold inventory in Nevada and ship to California than warehouse inventory in California from what I have read.
I do think you are making a huge mistake. The nook software is abysmal. It's the worst of any current Reader. You should cancel the order and get something better. If you really want a 7.8" Reader, you can get for a Kobo Forma at 8". Much much better software. Plus, the Forma uses a plastic backed screen so it's much more durable and lighter.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:51 AM   #11
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do think you are making a huge mistake. The nook software is abysmal. It's the worst of any current Reader. You should cancel the order and get something better. If you really want a 7.8" Reader, you can get for a Kobo Forma at 8". Much much better software. Plus, the Forma uses a plastic backed screen so it's much more durable and lighter.
I like larger format readers and have Kindle DX, Sony PRS-950, Kindle Oasis G9 and G10 readers as well as both the Kobo Aura One and Kobo Forma readers. I got the Sony units after all support ceased and have basically used side loading of files for both the Sony and Kobo readers, with a few books purchased from Kobo. Intending to do the same with the Nook too with minimal use of B&N book purchases. The Kindles are fed via Amazon purchases, emailed book files and side loaded files. Therefore not too worried that support for the NOOK from B&N might vanish any time. I like the paging switches on both sides of the screen of both the Nook Glowlight 3 and Glowlight Plus. They remind me of the old Kindle DX as well as the Kindle 2, Kindle keyboard and Kindle NT units controls.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:10 PM   #12
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
You are not making a big mistake. I think the Nook GL+7.8 is a fine reader. I don't buy any books from BN because I can't liberate them. However, sideloading works just fine. I also like to have buttons on both sides of my reader. I change hands constantly when reading and I would hate to have to rotate my reader each time. The Forma looks like a good reader but it was $280 when I bought my Nook. Now you can order from Walmart for $250 but the Nook is still cheaper. Congrats on your new Nook.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote