Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-05-2017, 07:45 PM   #16
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
It would be nice to see the actual text of the email. Not calling OP a liar, but ... well, you know. Trust, but verify.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:43 PM   #17
dmevis
Enthusiast
dmevis began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
O.K., I just downloaded the revised firmware. The "About" screen now shows the version as "48.3.1.0 / 4.8.3.10". The "Storage" screen now shows only a single partition that says "5.64Gb of 6.35GB available". File Explorer on my Windows 7 PC also shows a single partition.

Here is the problem... I am generally pretty tech savy. I have rooted my Android phones, etc. However, I have never used an ereader before a couple of weeks ago. So, I am not very familiar with the Nook software, let alone a new version. If you have suggestions, or something you want me to test, let me know.

I downloaded some books in epub and pdf format from Project Gutenberg.

I tried loading some books via my USB cable to the GL3. Loaded them in the Root directory= no luck. Created a new Directory off of the Root called "ProjectGutenberg" and loaded some books into it=no luck. Loaded some books into the "Nook" directory=succcess.

The books immediately showed up in "New & Recent in My Library". They are also listed in Library/My Files.

I was able to access the books without problems, except...

The one pdf book I loaded. It displayed the title properly in the Library/My Files and the New & Recent... screen. However, when I tried to open it, I got a blank page that said Page 1 of 0. Since I am not even sure if my GL3 should read a pdf book, I just deleted it, and decided to post here for futher advise.
dmevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #18
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmevis View Post
O.K., I just downloaded the revised firmware. The "About" screen now shows the version as "48.3.1.0 / 4.8.3.10". The "Storage" screen now shows only a single partition that says "5.64Gb of 6.35GB available". File Explorer on my Windows 7 PC also shows a single partition.

Here is the problem... I am generally pretty tech savy. I have rooted my Android phones, etc. However, I have never used an ereader before a couple of weeks ago. So, I am not very familiar with the Nook software, let alone a new version. If you have suggestions, or something you want me to test, let me know.

I tried loading some books via my USB cable to the GL3. Loaded them in the Root directory= no luck. Created a new Directory off of the Root called "ProjectGutenberg" and loaded some books into it=no luck. Loaded some books into the "Nook" directory=succcess.

The books immediately showed up in "New & Recent in My Library". They are also listed in Library/My Files.

I was able to access the books without problems, except...

The one pdf book I loaded. It displayed the title properly in the Library/My Files and the New & Recent... screen. However, when I tried to open it, I got a blank page that said Page 1 of 0. Since I am not even sure if my GL3 should read a pdf book, I just deleted it, and decided to post here for futher advise.
Does File Explorer on your Windows 7 PC show a 6 GB partition? That will be the proof for me.

The Nook software is a cleverly disguised Android 4.4.2 (good 'ol KitKat!). You can install another launcher and apps, and root the NG3, if you want. But we can worry about that later. The firmware might be set up so that you can only sideload to the Nook folder, as that's where the Nook reader expects to find them.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #19
dmevis
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Does File Explorer on your Windows 7 PC show a 6 GB partition? That will be the proof for me.

The Nook software is a cleverly disguised Android 4.4.2 (good 'ol KitKat!). You can install another launcher and apps, and root the NG3, if you want. But we can worry about that later. The firmware might be set up so that you can only sideload to the Nook folder, as that's where the Nook reader expects to find them.
My Windows 7 PC says the Nook has a Capacity of 5,803,630,592 byes. It currently reports a Free space of 5,802,201,088 bytes.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:13 PM   #20
dmevis
Enthusiast

This is the text of the message my Nook displayed after the firmware update:

"Your NOOK has been updated
What's new in version 48.3.10_user:
This software update for your NOOK GlowLight 3
includes the following improvements:
Provide one partition for both NOOK
and sideloaded books.
Bug fixes and improvements throughout."
Advert
Old 12-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #21
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My Windows 7 PC says the Nook has a Capacity of 5,803,630,592 byes. It currently reports a Free space of 5,802,201,088 bytes.
Looks like a single partition to me! With the current firmware, you'd see only a 0.95 GB partition in Windows File Manager. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:47 PM   #22
dmevis
Enthusiast

Regarding books in pdf format. It turns out that the one pdf book I loaded was not readable even on my PC. So, I loaded some other pdf documents that were on my PC, and they appeared and were readable on the NOOK.

I'll start to do some reading on my updated NOOK, now. If all goes well, I'll send the B&N Android Developers an email asking when it might be released.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:16 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Here is the problem... I am generally pretty tech savy... However, I have never used an ereader before a couple of weeks ago.

Lesson 1: Don't bother with PDFs on an e-reader. Some handle them better than others, but none of them are good.

Anyway, could you provide the email address you wrote to? Plenty of us would like to beta test.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-05-2017 at 11:19 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:07 AM   #24
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Any chance of a photograph of the Nook running the new firmware?
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:58 AM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
This is the text of the message my Nook displayed after the firmware update:

"Your NOOK has been updated
What's new in version 48.3.10_user:
This software update for your NOOK GlowLight 3
includes the following improvements:
Provide one partition for both NOOK
and sideloaded books.
Bug fixes and improvements throughout."
Very happy to read this. I wonder how long before this beta is released to the public.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:12 AM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

dmevis
Quote:
Quote:
Looks like a single partition to me! With the current firmware, you'd see only a 0.95 GB partition in Windows File Manager. Thanks.
But that looks like only 5.5 GB. What happened to the other GB?

Last edited by rcentros; 12-06-2017 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:31 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Maybe it's taken up by the new firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:07 AM   #28
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
dmevis

I'd love to be able to test out this beta firmware and find out!
Old 12-06-2017, 06:39 AM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I'd love to be able to test out this beta firmware and find out!
I can believe it. It seems like Barnes & Noble would want as many beta testers as they could get to ensure that this update didn't eat their uses' side-loaded books.

Makes me think that maybe they just changed permissions of the main (5.5 GB) partition, copied the side-loaded files over from the 1 GB partition, and then -- somehow -- blocked the use of the former side-loading partition (or reserved it for something else). That way the firmware wouldn't have to reformat or re-partition whole "drive" just change the user access (permissions). (Just speculating. I have no real clue but it would probably be safer to do it that way.)

One good thing about this. Apparently Barnes & Noble is reacting to the wishes/complaints of their customers.

Last edited by rcentros; 12-06-2017 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Because I can't spell.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:42 AM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe it's taken up by the new firmware.
I guess that's possible, but that would be a pretty huge change.