Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-06-2016, 09:38 AM   #346
AdmiralAnimE
AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepie View Post
Hi AdmiralAnimE,

I have the original cover, the blue version. I do like it, and do not perceive it as heavy. The quality is ok, not briljant, but I never had any complaints about the Pocketbook covers, they last for years. And this cover is really nice, touch and look.

Some ppl complained about the way the reader is held in the cover, you have some flexible corner holders, that fold over each corner. I like it that way. You have to free up the top right corner to charge or copy books through usb. Works nicely.

When reading, the front cover folds backwards, and out of the way. When closed it has some magnets holding it in place. I never take it off, and do use it when traveling. I think it is sturdy enough and not bulky so it doesn't hamper reading.

Personally, I don't use a screen protectors anymore. I did use them for over a decadeand on many devices. But in the end I found that they scratch easily and make the device ugly to look at (bubbles and superficial wear).

The original screen often don't normally scratch that easy, so I prefer the plain glass.
Thanks for the details, I just received mine and I'm gonna stay without cover for now. From what I see, those flexible corners may be a problem if you read with it, because it's not tight and the reader will move.

I think I already know the answer, but is there any option for text align justify thing? Did they remove the options for line break, hyphenation and encoding in 5.11?
AdmiralAnimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #347
joepie
Zealot
joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Inkpad 3 -> Onyx Boox Nova 3
For me, the flexible corners are no bother at all. The fit is quite tight, there is a little give, but I don't notice it while reading. Probably because I just hold it on either right or left side of the reader, and there isn't much room to shift.

I use the cover mainly for basic protection, and it keeps unavoidable dust from the screen.

For reading epubs, I use CR3 exclusively, not the standard app. CR3 lets you change all kinds of stuff, and also alignment. CR3 runs on firmware 4.x and 5.x, and I am on 4.x. Works like a charm for me.
joepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #348
p38lightning
Zealot
p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Lenovo Tab M9
Cool Reader on 840

Has anyone successfully installed CR onto the 840?

If so, what are the precise (foolproof) instructions?

My interest in doing so is that even with 5.11 I cannot change the line spacing and I have run into several titles where the close spacing makes the tome quite difficult to read.

Thanks for any help.

Also, does anyone know if Pocketbook has another software update coming and are they considering redoing the 840 with new hardware???
p38lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #349
joepie
Zealot
joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.

Hi p38lightning,

I have been using CR3 on the 840 for at least 6 months now. It is a great reader, only some of the settings are hard to reach. At some point you will have to change settings with multiple pages, and the arrowboxes to turn to the next or former page are almost impossible to hit. I guess that is because of the high resolution of the screen. The area of the arrows are so small. Sometimes it takes 5 to 10 attempts for me to tap on the mark.

But once you get it done right, you'll be ok. After some attempts you don't have to get into the settings often. I haven't for the last four months .

Now to your question: a README.TXT is included in the zip file. Just follow the instructions and you'll be ok.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #350
p38lightning
Zealot
p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Thank you.
Advert
Old 04-13-2016, 11:38 AM   #351
p38lightning
Zealot

Has anyone experimented with porting the 840 over to Android???

Would that be possible?
Old 04-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #352
joepie
Zealot

Hi,

I never considered that, but I'm just curious.
For what reasons would you like to port the Inkpad 840 over to Android?
Old 04-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #353
p38lightning
Zealot

Tried Cool Reader and chose to go back to the installed version.

Have been using the Prestigio ereader app on my Android phone and tablet for a couple of years and would really like having that available for use on the 840.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #354
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by p38lightning View Post
Tried Cool Reader and chose to go back to the installed version.

Have been using the Prestigio ereader app on my Android phone and tablet for a couple of years and would really like having that available for use on the 840.
I've followed some of the Onyx threads for their larger ereaders. They all are Android devices, and can be rooted. I get the impression that most people excitedly install their favourite Android reading app, but give up on it because the colours can be problematic on a grayscale display (i.e. it's hard to distinguish some elements), and the animations are slow and leave the display messy. So, you could go to a _lot_ of trouble to get that app working on the 840, and then be disappointed anyway.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:30 AM   #355
joepie
Zealot

Yeah, I tend to agree with rkomar.

Haven't seen Android on the Inkpad, and I never used Prestigo. However I consider the ereader as dedicated hardware/software to just read my books.

I wouldn't use the ereader as a mobile device like smartphone or tablet. Having said that: I do love Android and have at least 7 Android devices here at home, so I get what p38lightning wants to achieve. But I wouldn't do it myself if I could. My guess is that Android takes a lot more processing power and battery power to run.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #356
p38lightning
Zealot

"My guess is that Android takes a lot more processing power and battery power to run."

Had not considered that aspect. Other than page turning, Prestigio has no animation but its easily personalizable system of creating libraries with the covers on "actual" shelves really enhances the ereading experience when using my tablet or smart phone at those times when I don't have my 840 with me.

Will continue to leave well enough alone until we all see what Pocketbook may yet have up its sleeve for the 8 inch + crowd.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #357
wugwugs
wugwugs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Pocketbook Inkpad
Hi guys, I have been watching this forum that helped me to decide with buying INKPAD and for more than 2 months I was very happy with it. But as someone already in this topic, one day I turned it on and the display did not change/react. In authorised service they opened it and said it is mechanical damage-cracked screen from inside, they cannot repair it and I wont get money or new device. And I know it did not fall on the ground or I did not hit it or something, I always take care of my things (this is maybe 2nd time in my life I needed to return something I have bought). So apparently the inside screen or something is too easily "crackable", maybe it is only bad manufacturing on some devices. Not sure, but I am really unhappy. Because as you know there is no viable alternative and I am really hesitating paying that much money for device that can be useless after few months of regular use (not saying if you want to pack it and take on some trip...)

Also, the bad thing is that these so called authorised service are completely useless, because they cannot repair anything. Their point is to just open it and find something "mechanical" and get rid of responsibility.
wugwugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #358
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I'm sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, this how every manufacturer and vendor handle broken screens. It is not specific to PocketBook and their devices. Perhaps someday plastic substrates will be common in most devices, and they won't be as fragile as they are now. Until then, there is a lot of risk for the owners of these devices.

You don't have to drop or hit the device to break the glass substrate. Even twisting the case can cause a fracture.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:36 PM   #359
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wugwugs View Post
But as someone already in this topic, one day I turned it on and the display did not change/react.
Did you make a photo of the device before sending it off?

In most cases when screen cracks, this is quite visible from the outside - you do not see the cracks, but black/white stripes that produce curves along the crack lines... if you run a image search for broken eink (or look around in this forum) you will see lots of examples for this.

Once you know the display is damaged there is pretty much no point in sending it in (unless they directly offer you a discount for a new device and you're willing to take them up on it).
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #360
joepie
Zealot

Hi Wugwugs,

That's a real bummer. I have to say that my own experiences with Pocketbook are in general really good. At the moment I have 4 Pocketbook ereaders, two Inkpads and two older models PB302. Apart from the software, which I think is quite mediocre but usable, the hardware has yet to fail me.

Even the five year old model 302 of which the technical specs were not so great, has not let me down. It is built like a tank and still runs today, no problems other than low res and contrast isn't up to modern standards. No degradation of any sort, even batterylife is still great.

The Inkpad has a lot of screen estate. On the downside, I do think it is a bit vulnerable for twisting, compared to phablets or small tablets of similar size. IMO the metal frame/shell of tablets are more protective and prevent twisting that the Inkpad would probably not survive. While I don't hesitate to bring it along anywhere, I do take extra care during transport.

Not saying you weren't careful, as you obviously are, just saying that I don't share your experience.

Did this happen after you transported the Inkpad, or was it like at home all the time?

Last edited by joepie; 05-12-2016 at 06:54 PM.