Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
convert word doc to pdf or epub

Is it possible? If so, is it simple?
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Calibre is your friend.

It is free ebook management software that will convert ebooks to different formats and transfer them to your ereader.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

There is a Calibre forum right here on Mobileread to also help you with further questions
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Thanks, I have Calibre and have converted many books but I am having trouble with one that says it is Microsoft Word. I can usally convert Pdfs and others.

Meh, I have about 190 books to catch up on so I guess it can wait. I MUST stop looking for books.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Office 2007 and 2010 allow you to save as PDF I believe.

I know Open Office does.

Have you tried that?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:05 AM   #5
wrenn1
Addict

I will. I have Open Ofc. Thanks for trying to help. It is addicting to try to get these things on a reader. I have been reading way more now that I have the gadget but I also spend a lot of time on this stuff.

thanks again.
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 12:10 AM   #6
sabredog

Happy to help.

I remember the early days trying to convert ebooks. A lot more options available these days!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:27 AM   #7
wrenn1
Addict

I am computer stupid so to me it is a miracle when it works. It works so often and so simply that I never give up and eventually they work....mostly by accident.

I did get one up and running but can't find the other one. I think I deleted it. But I am happy to have this one so thanks again for your help. hagd
Old 07-26-2010, 04:14 AM   #8
cas67
cas67 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I will. I have Open Ofc. Thanks for trying to help. It is addicting to try to get these things on a reader. I have been reading way more now that I have the gadget but I also spend a lot of time on this stuff.

thanks again.
there is also an epub export plugin for open office. i found it a few days ago (from another thread here on mobileread). URL for the plugin is: http://luke.simplicissimus.it/writer2epub/#english
cas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 AM   #9
sabredog

nice find!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
wrenn1
Addict

Oooo thanks. So many great finds on this forum.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Whatever you do, don't go the PDF route.

The best results seem to be to use OpenOffice to open the file, and then do one of two things:

1. Store it as ODT, which then ends up looking like HTML to Calibre (I think)
2. Use this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=69636&page=7
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
If you make the paper size about 3.5" by 4.5" (4.75), then the pdf files will fit the screen with no reduction and no need for zoom/scrolling. Just don't use the default paper size.

Just another possibility.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #13
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

You don't need to go the PDF route with a Word file. You just need to save it as an RTF file and Cablibre can convert it.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #14
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mememememe View Post
You don't need to go the PDF route with a Word file. You just need to save it as an RTF file and Cablibre can convert it.
Good advice!
corona is offline   Reply With Quote