Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you see yourself in regard to video games?
Love my books, hate video games of any kind, totally not for me! 2 5.41%
Love my books, don't care either way about video games! 6 16.22%
Love my books, don't mind playing occasionally on phone or tablet. 4 10.81%
Love my books, love my PC and/or console for casual games. 11 29.73%
Love my books, love my games. I'm a hard-core gamer! 14 37.84%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #16
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rika24 View Post
*sings* 2.B.A. Master, Pokemon Master.

lol. loyal pokemon gamer here too, since the days of Red and Blue. i've got Red, Blue, Yellow, Silver (battery dead ), Gold, Crystal (battery dead ), Sapphire, FireRed, LeafGreen, Platinum, SoulSilver, Black, White 2, X, Alpha Sapphire, and Omega Ruby ^^ i own an N64, Gamecube, DS, and 3DS mainly to play Pokemon games!
While I hear a lot about the Pokemon games I don't know much about them. Can you shed some light on something I don't understand?
Sometimes I have noticed that two Pokemon games are released at the same time, like X and Y and more recently Sapphire and Ruby but what is the relationship to each of those games? I mean for example Sapphire and Ruby, are these two different games or one is the sequel to the other or are they the same game with a different name and box cover, what is the deal with those?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:40 PM   #17
Rika24
Fanfiction Fan
Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: SONY Touch PRS-650, Nook HD, Kobo H2O Kobo Aura ONE LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
While I hear a lot about the Pokemon games I don't know much about them. Can you shed some light on something I don't understand?
Sometimes I have noticed that two Pokemon games are released at the same time, like X and Y and more recently Sapphire and Ruby but what is the relationship to each of those games? I mean for example Sapphire and Ruby, are these two different games or one is the sequel to the other or are they the same game with a different name and box cover, what is the deal with those?
main series pokemon games are released in pairs, each with its own version exclusive pokemon. each pair equals a generation.

Gen 1: Red and Blue (Green was a Japan only release) (1996) (Gameboy)
Gen 2: Silver and Gold (1999) (Gameboy Color)
Gen 3: Ruby and Sapphire (2002) (Gameboy Advance)
Gen 4: Diamond and Pearl (2006) (Nintendo DS)
Gen 5: Black and White (2010) (Nintendo DS)
Gen 6: X and Y (2013) (Nintendo 3DS)

each Gen gets a combo version with improvements and added storyline around a year later and is usually better than the both games in the Gen:

Gen 1: Yellow(1998) (followed the storyline of the tv show)
Gen 2: Crystal (2000) (introduced the legendary dogs)
Gen 3: Emerald (2004) (never played it)
Gen 4: Platinum (2008) (added the warp dimension storyline)
Gen 5: Black 2 and White 2 (2012) (direct sequels)
Gen 6: currently unknown, it's speculated to be Version Z or X2 and Y2

there are also remakes during each gen now since older games are hard to find/play for new gamers (or in the case of the gameboy games, internal batteries run dry, preventing games from being saved. my Silver and Crystal died, while my Gold and Gen 1 games can still save):

Gen 3 introduced the Gen 1 remakes FireRed and LeafGreen (2004)
Gen 4 had HeartGold and SoulSilver (2009)
Gen 5 skipped
Gen 6 had Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (2014)

so the dates go as follows:
Gen 1: Red and Blue (1996) Yellow (1998) 8 years later REMAKES (2004)
Gen 2: Silver and Gold (1999) Crystal (2000) 10 years later REMAKES (2009)
Gen 3: Ruby and Sapphire (2002) Emerald (2004) 12 years later REMAKES (2014)
Gen 4: Diamond and Pearl (2006) Platinum (2008)
Gen 5: Black and White (2010) Black 2 and White 2 (2012)
Gen 6: X and Y (2013)

some think there will be a Yellow remake in the next year or two as Gen 1 will be celebrating it's 20th anniversary soon (2016).

Last edited by Rika24; 02-05-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Rika24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #18
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well Rika24 thank you for that exhaustive post. It shows to those who might consider video games like some simple pass time without any depth or complexity to it that it is rather the opposite.

And this is just one example among many...
Old 02-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #19
Rika24
Fanfiction Fan
Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: SONY Touch PRS-650, Nook HD, Kobo H2O Kobo Aura ONE LE
i forgot to mention a detail about the version exclusives starting with Gen 2. each game's mascot is a legendary that is featured highly in each version, and sometimes changes the story within the game. Silver had Lugia and Gold had Ho-Oh. you could only get one of them depending on who was on the cover. Sapphire and Ruby not only had exclusive legendaries but which game you picked determined the main antagonistic team (Ruby had Team Magma while Sapphire had Team Aqua) and so on.

for the longest time, Crystal was my favorite Pokemon game until the remakes came out, then SoulSilver became my fav. It still stands as my favorite, but X is a very close second.

anyways, pegasi&prefects, which was your favorite Gen and have you ever done a Nuzlocke run?

Last edited by Rika24; 02-06-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Rika24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #20
Quexos
Member Retired

Oh and I forgot to mention that I'm looking forward to playing games such as:

- The Evil Within
- Outlast
- Dying Light
- The Order 1886
- Bloodborne
- The Witcher 3
- Rime
- The Last Guardian

And hopefully more such games when I get my PS4 which if all goes well should be very soon
Advert
Old 02-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #21
pegasi&prefects
Eleanor Beresford
pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My favorite gen was Gold/Silver too, although I have a deep nostalgia for Gen 1... Yellow was my first.

I have yet to do a Nuzlocke run, but as my only quarrel with the Ruby remake is that it is too easy (I miss the grinding!) I am intending to do one on them. Looks like so much fun. Have you done one?

I loved the Mystery Dungeon games and the GameCube Pokemon rpgs, too. When people say games don't touch emotions, I always remember crying my eyes out over the second game. Wasn't too thrilled by Pokemon Rangers. And I haven't yet been caught by the strategy Pokemon RPGs.

Right now, I'm addicted to the Vita enhanced ports of the Atelier games (PS3 originally.) Well worth the repurchase, IMO. And I want to restart Trails in the Sky in time for the sequel. I gave up in despair when my little boy uninstalled it and I lost twenty hours of progress.

Last edited by pegasi&prefects; 02-10-2015 at 07:14 PM.
pegasi&prefects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:41 PM   #22
Quexos
Member Retired

There are lots of fake gaming systems out there and 90% of those seem to be coming from China but for those who have tried the PSP, you should check out this game review for a thing called PCP, a rip-off from the original that is so poorly done, so lousy in every possible aspect that I don't think it's even possible for the makers of the real thing to sue the makers of this horror. In the meantime the reviews is fun to watch.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #23
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I've played Emerald on an emulator, it's very good. I have the Pokemon edition Game Boy Color that came with Yellow. I don't remember Gold that much, but I have it sitting around here too.

I preferred my Sega Genesis though, and then my computer since I had Microsoft's Entertainment Pack and some MS-DOS games at the same time.

Right now I'm on the second part of Infinity Blade III, and I'm at the part of FEZ (Mac version) where the world is glitching. I'm also still trying to finish Code of Princess on the 3DS, I put all my skill points in the wrong places so it's very hard now!

I'm also working my way through Bastion and Leo's Fortune on my iPad. I use the smaller SteelSeries controller with it, love it.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #24
Quexos
Member Retired

This post to let you all know that I just pimped my PS4 with a beautiful "The Last of us" skin. Now there was an Atari VCS skin that I would have loved to get my hands on but I couldn't so I went for this one instead and man it looks good on the PS4

Does anybody else use skins on their PS4 or Xbox One?
Old 05-15-2015, 09:15 PM   #25
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
I enjoy RTS games like Warzone 2100 and Widelands. I even have an old xp machine I keep going for The Settlers 2
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:59 PM   #26
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
I fell in love with Veronica Santangelo in Fallout: New Vegas. The affair did not last.

When a good game comes along, you'll find me totally immersed in the gameplay. Unchartered 4 promises to be that kind of experience.

A video game is a merely an ebook with moving pictures AND you as the protagonist.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 07-04-2015 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Fixed that for you
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:17 AM   #27
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
I still have my original games from way back when (1981). Tank Attack, Auto Chase & Planet Defender all for the Creativision, Unfortunately me 2600 VCS didn't make it thru my childhood.

Currently I play anything, Mostly Racing/FPS/Management Sim (like OpenTTD)/Dungeon Crawlers (like Temple of Elemental Evil, Torchlight 1&2, ). But I do play Casual games on my Tablet, when I'm not reading on it.
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #28
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
While video games have some positive aspects (mentally challenging puzzles), they also have a serious downside, i.e., addiction.

Quote:
Several months ago, a colleague I barely knew pulled me aside as I passed by her in the hallway at work. “Can I talk to you?” she whispered urgently. Without waiting for an answer, she launched into the litany of problems she was having with her eight-year-old son, Ryan. Over the past year, Ryan had become increasingly depressed, irritable, and isolated. Meltdowns and tears over seemingly minor incidents had become a daily occurrence. He was spending less time with his friends, preferring to remain alone in his room for hours, playing games on his cell phone. He was failing nearly every subject in school, and his teachers felt frustrated with his distractibility and lack of organization.
This is the opening paragraph of Dr. Victoria Dunckley's book, Reset Your Child's Brain. From personal experience, this type of behavior in young children and adults is epidemic in nature. Disbelievers who may be in denial include both the addicted and non-addicted. Video games are a form of candy that should be carefully consumed, and each player should know his or her limits.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote