Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #16
9littlebees
Connoisseur
9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice

Device: Sony Xperia Arc; Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1
Thats a pretty good start for your review, keep the other charters coming!
I would put the same ratings as you did. But the description for PREP & FIRST USE RATING I see somewhat different. For me it's:
-1 for need to create an account
-1 for clunky initial sign-in process
I haven't got an issue with logging into Kobo, but others do, hence why I've covered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1
-1 for pushing current reading list off the home screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap.T
This point really sucks though. I'm buying new books all the time. I don't get why it's done that way on a Kobo. Who wants to go searching for the book their currently reading just because they bought new ones?
For me, the reading list issue is definitely a two star one, borderline three. It's so bloody annoying and could be changed quite easily in a firmware update... Aargh...

Last edited by 9littlebees; 10-15-2012 at 05:36 AM.
9littlebees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9littlebees View Post
Ah, so I need to obtain a book from the device / desktop application itself for it to be a true "kepub"? Will do a test with a free book and update that section.
A kepub is a "Kobo ePub". It is an epub with extra formatting made by Kobo. Purchased versions use DRM which is different to what ADE uses. The other thing is that they are synced to your devices and Kobo apps through the Kobo server. The current reading position is synced so that opening the book on each device will go to the same position.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #18
9littlebees
Connoisseur
9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
A kepub is a "Kobo ePub". It is an epub with extra formatting made by Kobo. Purchased versions use DRM which is different to what ADE uses. The other thing is that they are synced to your devices and Kobo apps through the Kobo server. The current reading position is synced so that opening the book on each device will go to the same position.
Thanks for clarifying this, davidfor. I have just checked this with the novella I purchased from the Kobo website and it certainly loaded automatically on my Android Kobo app, with the bookmark in the last place I'd read on the Glo.

So it definitely is a "kepub" if purchased from the Kobo website, and hence my review is accurate.

I'll update the wording in the review to confirm this, later in the week when I do the next update.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
David Soulayrol
David Soulayrol doesn't litterDavid Soulayrol doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
I agree with most of what has been described here for now. The fact that the wifi credentials are not stored until the setup process is finished is quite annoying. That being said, I have encountered no problem so far. Note that in France you can use your account from the FNAC affiliate, which I did, thus avoiding to create a new account I would not use: I only bought this device to read sideloaded ebooks which are availble in the public domain. By the way, thanks to the Calibre's people.

I have one question though. Among other things, the little booklet which enumerates the use cares states that the ereader should not be left too long in standby, because the screen could be "burned". I think this is a strange statement for eink screens. Is Kobo simply hiding itself behind a loose warning here?
David Soulayrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
So it definitely is a "kepub" if purchased from the Kobo website, and hence my review is accurate.

I'll update the wording in the review to confirm this, later in the week when I do the next update.
The Kobo shop sells both kepubs and epubs. As far as I know, both will be there when you shop via the web site. But, only the kepub will be downloadable via the device or the apps. After you buy a book via the device or app, you should be able to go to the web site and download the epub if you want that as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #21
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
edit out - Wow - I could have sworn I had responded to a different thread!

Sorry!
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #22
9littlebees
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Soulayrol
I agree with most of what has been described here for now. The fact that the wifi credentials are not stored until the setup process is finished is quite annoying. That being said, I have encountered no problem so far. Note that in France you can use your account from the FNAC affiliate, which I did, thus avoiding to create a new account I would not use: I only bought this device to read sideloaded ebooks which are availble in the public domain. By the way, thanks to the Calibre's people.

I have one question though. Among other things, the little booklet which enumerates the use cares states that the ereader should not be left too long in standby, because the screen could be "burned". I think this is a strange statement for eink screens. Is Kobo simply hiding itself behind a loose warning here?
That is a strange statement. And how long is "too long"? I'll ask Customer Service for an answer. Good test for my review, as well. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor
The Kobo shop sells both kepubs and epubs. As far as I know, both will be there when you shop via the web site. But, only the kepub will be downloadable via the device or the apps. After you buy a book via the device or app, you should be able to go to the web site and download the epub if you want that as well.
Again, thanks for clarifying. I think I fully understand now. So I think I was asked to test functionality of a "kepub" vs the same book as an epub bought from the Kobo site and then sideloaded (in Calibre, I'm assuming). And I certainly haven't done that. :-)
Old 10-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #23
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Any book bought from Kobo and auto-loaded onto your Glo is probably a kepub. To get the e-pub, log into your Kobo account with a web browser and go to "My Library." There will be links to download e-pubs for each of your books. This is how Kobo supports other readers (or apps on tablets.) Using the e-pub may require Adobe software (Adobe Digital Editions.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #24
David Soulayrol
David Soulayrol doesn't litterDavid Soulayrol doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
That is a strange statement. And how long is "too long"? I'll ask Customer Service for an answer. Good test for my review, as well. ;-)
I'm sorry I do not have an english version in my package. But the short booklet I have in French, Spanish and three other languages says roughly that the standby screen, when used more than two weeks in a row, could cause "screen burnings" (permanent afterglow caused by the displayed fixed image). I didn't think that would be possible with such technology. And I'm surprised because the screen also displays an icon when the device is off.
David Soulayrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #25
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Burn in of image is possible with old televisions with cathode ray tube but can't happen with e-ink displays.

This youtube link explanes how e-ink works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqu1-...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqu1-...layer_embedded
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #26
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
This has dropped off the first 3 pages. Any more updates coming?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #27
9littlebees
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
This has dropped off the first 3 pages. Any more updates coming?
Apologies for the delays. Really thought I would have finished this review by now. I've finally got a decent chunk of free time on Saturday, which I'm keeping available for this review.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #28
9littlebees
Connoisseur

OK, I've just posted an update for the User Interface section. This has taken me about 6 hours to write, which includes taking, editing, uploading and referencing the photos.

For the remaining sections, I will forgo photos for the present and try to get them written. The accompanying photos can follow at a later date.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #29
9littlebees
Connoisseur

Oh, and due to the size of this User Interface update, I've decided to make "Readability" it's own section and will push comments on Customer Service to the Conclusion post.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #30
ashan
Connoisseur
ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: could be Kobo Glo or KPW
This is more like an enhanced user guide than a review...not saying it's bad or good though, good luck.
ashan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, ereader, glo, kobo, review