Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #46
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
I like Jeter and do not have this title so the Jeter freebie is great.

Jane Carver of Waar sounds as if it might be fun. I was a big ERB fan when I was a child/early teen, so will be interesting to see how the author handles his "homage." Great cover too. Kind of "retro." Intentionally so, I am sure.

Thank you.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #47
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
I appreciate the Jeter. I haven't read much by him (mostly because when I was most interested after reading Farewell Horizontal, it was pretty impossible to find anything by him), but I like what I've read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Probably the easiest "solution" is to put a disclaimer on the first post something like:

These books were free at time they were posted, but may not remain free. Please verify the price before hitting the Buy button at Amazon.

Of course I know that the deals don't usually last long (except when they do) but personally I appreciate it when people post that a particular is dead. Probably if I click on a dead one again, I'll still post that it's dead and get in trouble again., but so it goes

Last edited by Ginwen; 10-13-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 03:03 AM   #48
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post

Looks good, just downloaded, I think I'm going to want the Omnibus... so many books, so little time...
Good things come to those who wait. the Omnibus is free right now.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #49
elaysee
Groupie
elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle, iPad
Two omnibus editions of Octavia Butler's works from Open Road are $10-11 right now. (The first part of the Xenogenesis Trilogy is today's (10/13) Kindle Daily Deal, but this omnibus edition is about the same total price as each remaining volume's individual price.)

Xenogenesis Trilogy: Dawn / Adulthood Rites / Imago
(packaged as Lilith's Brood)

Amazon $9.99

BN $10.82

Quote:
Butler’s acclaimed Xenogenesis trilogy about humanity’s struggle for survival after nuclear apocalypse, and the alien race that could save the world—or destroy it

The newest stage in human evolution begins in outer space. Survivors of a cataclysmic nuclear war awake to find themselves being studied by the Oankali, tentacle-covered galactic travelers whose benevolent appearance hides their surprising plan for the future of mankind. The Oankali arrive not just to save humanity, but to bond with it—crossbreeding to form a hybrid species that can survive in the place of its human forebears, who were so intent on self-destruction. Some people resist, forming pocket communities of purebred rebellion, but many realize they have no choice. The human species inevitably expands into something stranger, stronger, and undeniably alien.

Butler’s Lilith’s Brood is both a thrilling, provocative meditation on the expansion of the human gene pool and an epic story of how it takes more than DNA to make someone human.

This ebook features an illustrated biography of Octavia E. Butler including rare images from the author’s estate.
Patternist: Wild Seed / Mind of My Mind / Clay's Ark / Patternmaster
(packaged as Seed to Harvest)

Amazon $10.44

BN $10.82

Quote:
The complete Patternist series—Butler’s acclaimed vision of a world transformed by a secret race of telepaths and the violence, intolerance, and plague that follow their rise to power

In the late seventeenth century, two immortals meet in an African forest. Anyanwu is a healer, a three-hundred-year-old woman who uses her wisdom to help those around her. The other is Doro, a malevolent despot who has mastered the power of stealing the bodies of others when his wears out. Together they will change the world.

Over the next three centuries, Doro mounts a colossal selective breeding project, attempting to create a master race of telepaths. He succeeds beyond his wildest dreams, splitting the human race down the middle and establishing a new world order dominated by the most manipulative minds on Earth.

In these four novels, Butler tells the story that began her legendary career: a mythic tale of the transformation of civilization.

This ebook features an illustrated biography of Octavia E. Butler including rare images from the author’s estate.
elaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #50
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaysee View Post
Two omnibus editions of Octavia Butler's works from Open Road are $10-11 right now. (The first part of the Xenogenesis Trilogy is today's (10/13) Kindle Daily Deal, but this omnibus edition is about the same total price as each remaining volume's individual price.)

Xenogenesis Trilogy: Dawn / Adulthood Rites / Imago
(packaged as Lilith's Brood)

Amazon $9.99

BN $10.82

Patternist: Wild Seed / Mind of My Mind / Clay's Ark / Patternmaster
(packaged as Seed to Harvest)

Amazon $10.44

BN $10.82

Both are available at Kobo for $11.79 and discount codes can be applied.
Seed to Harvest
Lilith's Brood
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #51
conanfan
Me Lurk Here Long Time
conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis; PW1+3g; Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro; KF HDX 7;
With a tip of the cap to the fabulous Books on the Knob bargain and free ebook blog, Amazon is offering PS Publishing's collection of 4 Peter Crowther short stories, The Land at the End of the Working Day, for free, at least as of 10/15/2012. This is a repeat freebie, I believe.

Quote:
A collection of four stories by Peter Crowther with individual introductions by Ian McDonald, Joe Hill, Elizabeth Hand and Lucius Shepard.

On a windswept corner of Manhattan, just a stone's throw from the weathered facade of the legendary Chelsea Hotel, there's a small two-flight walkdown bar called The Land At The End Of The Working Day. Stop in and rest awhile... you'll meet the most fascinating people.

There's Jack Fedogan, widowed these past few years and still carrying a torch for his beloved Phyllis while he plays smooth jazz on the barroom's battered PA system. And the wonderful triptych of regular imbibers... Edgar Nornhoevan, Jim Leafman and McCoy Brewer, meeting up to escape the world outside or to have a drink with like-minded souls or maybe just to share a few jokes.

And meet one-off visitors. Folks like Gandalph Cohen, the magical caretaker of the City's welfare; Front-Page McGuffin, who, it has to be said, has been in better health; Bernard Boyce Bennington, who carries a torch for a woman who loved him and left him (with a bizzarely magical memento); and Horatio Fortesque and Meredith Lidenbrook Greenblat, scholars of the works of the great Jules Verne and hot on the trail to a doorway to another world... a doorway that could just be situated in a backroom of one of Manhattan's strangest watering holes.

So do come visit - you'll never want to leave!
conanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #52
elaysee
Groupie
elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle, iPad
Free for US Kindle right now:

Shadow Unit 1, shared-series novellas by
Will Shetterly, Emma Bull, Elizabeth Bear, and Sarah Monette

Amazon (US)

Quote:
The FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit hunts humanity's worst nightmares. But there are nightmares humanity doesn't dream are real.

The BAU sends those cases down the hall. There, Stephen Reyes and his team pursue criminals transformed by a mysterious force: the anomaly.

Welcome to Shadow Unit.

The Shadow Unit series was created by award-winning authors Emma Bull and Elizabeth Bear.

Contains four novellas:

“Breathe” by Emma Bull
“Knock On Coffins” by Elizabeth Bear
“Dexterity” by Sarah Monette
“A Handful of Dust” by Will Shetterly

plus bonus material.
elaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #53
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Grin Olsson's Asgard Series is free right now... I haven't read him before but the series looks good, using Norse Mythology as its base

Asgard Series

Planet of the Gods is the first in the series:
Quote:
This is the first of five books in the GrinOlsson's Asgard Science fiction series.

In ancient days, mankind by word of mouth passed on their history from the ancient fathers and mothers throughout the generations, to their present day sons and daughters. These ancient peoples used descriptive basic words to explain an advanced technological species of intelligent beings that used their chariots to travel on land, in the sea, and through the air, as well as the contact they had with humans. The third planet from the sun, our “Earth” was identified in their ancient language as Midgard or the middle planet. The ancient scrolls and sagas detail other worlds in a great inter planetary battle called Ragnarok where a planet named Asgard was destroyed. In the fifth orbital energy ring of our sun lays a belt of asteroids from another historical time, where an ancient fifth planet somehow was destroyed.
Ratings are sparse or nonexistent. Try and see for yourself, I guess.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #54
conanfan
Me Lurk Here Long Time
conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis; PW1+3g; Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro; KF HDX 7;
To celebrate the mass market paperback release of his World and British Fantasy Award nominated Osama (a previous freebie), Lavie Tidhar is currently offering the ebook version of his novelette, The Last Osama, for free on his website. The ebooks is available in both epub and mobi formats.

Quote:
The Last Osama explores the world after the capture of Osama bin Laden in the Abbottabad Compound on May 2nd, 2011. In a world profoundly altered by the death, a bounty hunter is hired by the remnants of an army to travel down the Euphrates. His mission: track down and eliminate the last of the Osamas.

But how do you kill an idea?

A postscript to Lavie Tidhar’s World Fantasy nominated novel Osama, written after bin Laden’s capture and two months before Tidhar’s novel was coming out, this is a surreal tale of meta-fiction and hyper-pulp as written by both Tidhar and his pulp alter-ego, Mike Longshott. 7300 words.
conanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #55
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanfan View Post
To celebrate the mass market paperback release of his World and British Fantasy Award nominated Osama (a previous freebie), Lavie Tidhar is currently offering the ebook version of his novelette, The Last Osama, for free on his website.
Thank you, got it! I picked the novel up when it was free and enjoyed it.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:58 AM   #56
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaysee View Post
Free for US Kindle right now:

Shadow Unit 1, shared-series novellas by
Will Shetterly, Emma Bull, Elizabeth Bear, and Sarah Monette

Amazon (US)
Great, never heard of these, and now I'm hooked.....now I'm going to spend alot of money on these....I hate you, I really do.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:27 AM   #57
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Great, never heard of these, and now I'm hooked.....now I'm going to spend alot of money on these....I hate you, I really do.
If you want to, you can scrape the content for free here.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #58
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelalind View Post
If you want to, you can scrape the content for free here.
Yeah I know....I enjoyed what I've read so far...so I'm gonna register for the forum and see what the hecks up with it....it's worth the price for me lol.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #59
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
The series has been around for 4 years and this is the first time I've heard of it. And darn both of you. I'm nearly through the free one and have picked up a couple more from Smashwords. There's a couple free ebooks of the first two seasons (authorized bootlegs, as Elizabeth Bears points to them on the forum) at:

http://spontaneousderivation.com/dow...shadow_unit_s1

Main stories are complete, but the books at Smashwords/Amazon have the extras interspersed between the main stories as where I suspect the authors decided they should be.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:23 AM   #60
jhempel24
Wizard

Thanks for that! I just bought the 2nd book in the series....will be checking it out soon. The first book was great, the last two stories I really enjoyed and I hope they continue on that path.

I've tried to register for the forum, but have never gotten the "confirmation" email, and can't seem to contact any of the authors :\