Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 11-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle, inkBook, Kobo
Joyce, James: Ulysses v.1.0, 2 Nov 2007

James Joyce's masterpiece.

From Wikipedia:

"Ulysses is a novel by James Joyce, first serialized in parts in the American journal The Little Review from March 1918 to December 1920, and then published in its entirety by Sylvia Beach on February 2, 1922, in Paris. It is considered one of the most important works of Modernist literature."
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Ulysses.lrf (881.3 KB, 1560 views)

Last edited by sein; 11-03-2007 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Update
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:11 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
A great book. But shouldn't it be posted in the Sony lrf section?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Moved.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
James Joyce....

Completely inacessible! Or.. to use one of his own convoluted sentences using invented words that no one knows the meaning of but him.. (And its doubtful that even he knows...)

"It vibroverberates upon the tegmen and prosplodes from pomoeria."

Thats a direct quote from Finnegans wake and I'll give anyone a million dollars who can interpret that sentence!!!
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
jmorton
Connoisseur
jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Joycean Prose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
James Joyce....

Completely inacessible! Or.. to use one of his own convoluted sentences using invented words that no one knows the meaning of but him.. (And its doubtful that even he knows...)

"It vibroverberates upon the tegmen and prosplodes from pomoeria."

Thats a direct quote from Finnegans wake and I'll give anyone a million dollars who can interpret that sentence!!!
Not completely inaccessible, just difficult. The quote you chose is understandable in context. It's also sexual, so I won't get into it too deeply here, but here are the hard parts:

vibroverberates=quivering

tegmen=a superficial layer or covering usually of a plant or animal part (from MW, think Merkin)

prosplodes=typical Joycean portmanteau combining prolapse and explode (yeah, more sex)

pomoeria=this one is a little more abstruse. I'm guessing it's a variation on Pomerania--a land which no longer exists, meaning coming from someplace deep in the mythical and historical past (a lot of Finnegans Wake is concerned with myth and history) as well as deep within the mind and body.

Yeah, Joyce could have said all this in a much more straightforward way, but the book is working on many different levels (dreams, myth, history, the previous evening's events). Joyce was trying to find a way to convey pure thought (in Ulysses) and the dream state (in Finnegans Wake)with words. To what extent he succeeded depends on the reader.

The book posted here, is Ulysses, which is a walk in the park (sneaky FW reference intended), compared to Finnegans Wake.

Jim
jmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
jmorton.
My post was tongue in cheek. It really was.

When i go to Art museums I'm completely flummoxed by modern art. That doesn't mean I think its trash, just that, I'm not getting it. Big deal I don't 'get' Alot of stuff.

I don't doubt that Joyce was a Genuis.

I don't doubt that I, am extremely average, and as such swing wildly at fastballs like Joyce that I can barely see let alone make a base hit as they go sailing along majestically over my head.

I'm still trying to understand 'twas brillig and the slithy coves do gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves etc'

Oh. By the way. You win the million dollars. Be at the top of the Empire State building at midnight New Years Eve to collect your million.

Roy
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
James Joyce once said about Finnegan's Wake "It took me a lifetime to write it, it should take you a lifetime to read it."

Amazing amount of hubris, as if any of us should place Joyce's life above our own and spend our own life trying to understand his.

Quite a different sort of author by the time he was writing Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake from his earlier days when he was writing Dubliners.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Not to offend participating writers here, but it has struck me that aspiring writers seem to think (summarizing the behavior of randomly met students at my university) that as long as they behave (or become, depending on how well they've internalized (affected) the perceived-required personality traits at that point) narcissistic(ally) enough, the talent will somehow follow
i don't know if that is because of the hero cult surrounding "artistry" that originated in Romanticism, or because writers need to "believe in the merits of their own thought(s)", but i can say the two seem to go hand in hand with quite a few of them.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I'll take Winegan's Fake, thank you....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote