Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
steved61
steved61 began at the beginning.

Device: Nookcolor
Dell Duo Ebook Formats ?

What formats does the native Dell Duo software (Book Stage?) support? Epub, Mobi ETC...
Thanks
Steved61
steved61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Well, looking at it on the Dell website, it's a Windows hybrid tablet. That means you'll have to use book reading apps that are compatible with Windows. So it will support pretty much any format if you have the app for it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's true, Daffy, but not what the original poster was asking. The Duo contains pre-installed software which, amongst other things, can read books; the OP was asking what eBook formats this pre-installed software supports. Unfortunately I can't find any information about it on Dell's web site.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Thanks Harry. I did some more digging and found the Duo manual which says:

Quote:
BOOKS — Launches E Reader which allows • you to download and read e-books in PDF and EPUB formats.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
vtwin650
vtwin650 began at the beginning.

Device: nook, dell duo
The Dell BookStage software is Blio ereader. I can't see any way to add your own books. There is an option to open a .xps format, but that is it. You can buy books from their bookstore or download some free ones from their website, but that appears to be it.
vtwin650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
steved61
steved61 began at the beginning.

Device: Nookcolor
Bilo Only??

So there is no way to use the Dell Duo for an Ereader unless you buy books from the Bilo site? Is there any other software that would make use of the Touch screen? My daughter got one for Christmas and I am now thinking of returning it. Thanks for any help.
Stevd61
steved61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Steve - the touch screen just pretends to be a mouse, yes? A number of reading apps (eg Mobipocket Reader for Windows) allow you to turn the page simply by clicking at the appropriate point on the screen. Why would these not work with the touch screen? Wouldn't tapping the screen be equivalent to a mouse click?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved61 View Post
So there is no way to use the Dell Duo for an Ereader unless you buy books from the Bilo site? Is there any other software that would make use of the Touch screen? My daughter got one for Christmas and I am now thinking of returning it. Thanks for any help.
Stevd61
K4W works with the touchscreen on my Asus T91MT, there is no reason it wouldn't work similarity on the Duo.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
vtwin650
vtwin650 began at the beginning.

Device: nook, dell duo
I have been using the nook for PC software, it works. I do wish it had more features but the touchscreen page flipping does work.
vtwin650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
the dell duo is just a convertible tablet PC - running windows 7.
I would install MS reader for my .lit library, and just use Calibre and the built-in book viewer for everything else. just go in the touch settings in win7 and set your left/right flicks to page up / page down ... works on my pen only tablet, don't see why it wouldn't work with a touchscreen.

Last edited by mikegetz; 01-20-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: flakey U key.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:02 AM   #11
swbuehler
swbuehler began at the beginning.

Device: Dell BookStage (Blio reader)
The Inspiron Duo's BookStage reader is a rebranded version of the Blio reader that only supports Windows XPS format. It does provide access to free books using Google Books, but it still converts Google's ePub to XPS on the fly.

I installed Amazon and B&N's readers on my "iDuo" and use those, or just use Acrobat Reader for PDFs in full screen mode.
swbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
It sounds like you don't yet own the Duo. So before buying it, you might want to listen to the Windows Weekly 186 podcast by Paul Thurrott. He didn't like it.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote