Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
imagitronics
Enthusiast
imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX / Sony PRS-505
Kindle DX comic2mobi

Has anyone had a chance to tinker with this and find the ideal settings on the Kindle DX. I think the profile is set for a Sony PRS500, so the pages do not fill the screen.

Any info is appreciated.
imagitronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Just wanted to point out that the PRS500 does not support Mobi, so something named comic2mobi wouldn't be defaulted to a Sony device... unless the authors misnamed it
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Just wanted to point out that the PRS500 does not support Mobi, so something named comic2mobi wouldn't be defaulted to a Sony device... unless the authors misnamed it
Heh..
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
imagitronics
Enthusiast
imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

It's part of calibre, and it is defaulted to PRS-500 display size

-p PROFILE, --profile=PROFILE
Choose a profile for the device you are generating
this file for. The default is the SONY PRS-500 with a
screen size of 584x754 pixels. This is suitable for
any reader with the same screen size. Choices are
['prs500-landscape', 'prs500']
Old 07-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
imagitronics
Enthusiast

Anyways, I found out how to get comics onto my Kindle DX and I am unbelievably happy with it. I thought I would keep my Sony reader around for novels, but I'm thinking of selling it or giving it away to a friend.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
imagitronics
Enthusiast

[EDIT] Wrong thread [/EDIT]

Last edited by imagitronics; 07-09-2009 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
I'd suggest using MangleDX which is a custom one-off I hacked together from Alex Yatskov's Mangle:
http://foosoft.net/mangle/

Here's the download link:
http://foosoft.net/mangle/downloads/...owsPreview.zip

The DX pictures at the bottom are all mine, and it works flawlessly.

unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
imagitronics
Enthusiast

I took a look at Mangle, what I've been doing is using a python script that decompresses a cbz or cbr (or a directory full of them), then goes through each image in the folder and uses imagemagick to conditionally rotate images that are wider than they are tall, convert the pallet to greyscale, and reduce the size to 824x1200 (what size does your MangleDX scale to?) and then recompresses the image the entire folder into a single cbz, which is pretty simple. I thought about wrapping the whole thing up into a GUI, but I don't know yet.

Tim
Old 07-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
unrequited
Zealot

Line for line that's pretty much what MangleDX does, if you want to rip the source apart, it's up on the SVN... 256gray, rotates if need be, and then saves individual gifs all using imagemagik, just in C++. All that's left is just to zip up the directory and rename it to .cbz, but there's no reason to do that for the DX, it reads .zips just fine as if they were directories.

Again, I didn't do anything but change the resolution and hardcode the best options which give output for the DX for Mangle DX. It's all Alex's work.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just so you know, calibre 0.6 (currently in beta) converts comics to MOBI for the DX or other MOBI reading devices, with a nice GUI and everything.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:45 AM   #11
imagitronics
Enthusiast

unrequited,

One thing that I can see Mangle DX probably does better is to convert the images to .gif. I think that might help with some of the slow page renders from the compressed .jpg files. I have modified my python script, and I'm ready to test.

kovidgoyal,

Excellent, I knew calibre would be there in the end, for the mass users. I have converted a couple of books for testing. I'm anxious to see how the two methods compare (calibre vs. folder of images on the kindle)
Old 07-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #12
imagitronics
Enthusiast

Ok, I've done a little more testing. I started by modifying my script to convert all images to GIF format. I did not see any appreciable change in the speed the the images were rendered from within the image viewer. The file-size however, was *significantly* larger when using GIF images (obviously). Next I will test whether there is a difference in render speed if the images are not compressed into a zip/cbz archive.

I also tested Calibre. In several regards, Calibre wins outright over both my python script and MangleDX (which essentially do the same thing) Since Calibre converts the images to Mobi Pocket format, there is no render delay at all. It's the same speed as pretty much any other book. The fonts and graphics actually appeared slightly more crisp coming out of Calibre.

My only complaint about Calibre is that the pages don't "fill the screen" quite the same as they do when viewing the image archives. There is a significant amount of border around (I tried playing with all of Calibre's export options to no avail) That being said, the clarity of the text didn't appear to be any worse even though the page was a little smaller in the mobi format.

If anyone knows how to get Calibre 0.6b to force the images to fill the screen completely, let me know. Until then, I'm going to attempt to take the images output by imagemagick and convert them using MobiPocket Creator.

I think, even with the border and the smaller image size, Calibre might be the overall best solution.

Tim
Old 07-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre assumes a screen size of 741x1022 (it's in the calibre.customize.profiles module) By changing that you can get it to occupy more of the screen space. If you can figure out the correct setting, I'll be happy to change it, as I don't have a DX to do it myself.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #14
unrequited
Zealot

824x1200 is what's supposed to be the resolution and what MangleDX outputs.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
824x1200 is what's supposed to be the resolution and what MangleDX outputs.
This is the resolution of the entire screen, which may be correct for the image viewer but for e-books (in particular MOBI ebooks) the maximum resolution for images is smaller because they don't fill the entire screen. From Kindle DX Image Test:
Quote:
The DX screen is 824 pixels wide by 1200 pixels high, and the viewable book area on the DX is 744px wide by 1022px high.
This is close enough to 741x1022, that I'm sure both are based on trying to measure the exact dimensions and one or the other is a bit off.

Joshua Tallent also says:
Quote:
The actual size of the viewable book area on the Kindle 1 screen is 524px × 640px, and the viewable book area on the Kindle 2 screen is 520px × 622px.
Based on inspection of screenshots, I think the K1's maximum image resolution is 525x640 (1 pixel more than Joshua's width).

A difference of 1-3 pixels might cause a Kindle to rescale the image, although the result may be indistinguishable from the original. Note that Kindles preserve an image's aspect ratio, so the width won't matter (for rescaling) if the image is tall enough.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote