Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #106
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Our TV is only 24" (my nephew asked if it was our computer. He couldn't believe a TV could be so small) and while it can do 1080p, I think 720p would be fine.

eP
I plan on getting it too. I really don't care if it's HD or not. I like the price point.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #107
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I WANT the Roku for $39! With my luck, it is certain to be a lightning deal while I am away from my computer.

I have a question about Amazon streaming video pricing. I understand the rules about ebooks and how some publishers don't allow discounts. Is it the same for video rentals and/or downloads? In the past I have purchased DVD sets from Amazon's holiday deals, but now I would prefer not to have the DVDs and just stream them. Are the downloads ever going to show up in the deals? I'm looking for things like Homeland!

eP

No Agency for Videos. Amazon is always giving out Credits for the store now and then. They each weekend have deals on instant videos. I just got a $3 credit from my Kindle Special offers which I use to buy a episode of a TV Show I was interesting in.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #108
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
[B]
Hard Drives -- External Portable
  • West Dig 2TB --- BB=($130)
  • -----------------------------------------------------
  • Seagate 1TB -- BB=($70)
  • Toshiba 1TB --- OD=($60)
  • West Dig 1TB --- OM=($70)
  • -----------------------------------------------------
  • Toshiba 500GB --- BB=($40) / OM=($50)
I plan on getting a new external drive as I'm out of space. I just don't know which one yet. I've always bought Western Digital and I need at least 1 to 2TB.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #109
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I plan on getting it too. I really don't care if it's HD or not. I like the price point.
To get HD you must use a HDMI cable. We have this HDMI Cable and it works great and for the price of $1.89+Free Shipping you can't beat it. I read this HDMI cable wont work on some Samsung TVs. Ours is a Sony Bravia.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-15-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #110
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I plan on getting a new external drive as I'm out of space. I just don't know which one yet. I've always bought Western Digital and I need at least 1 to 2TB.
I like the Seagate Expansion line for extra storage.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #111
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I like the Seagate Expansion line for extra storage.
Are the drives quiet? Ever had any overheating issues? I own a Passport drive and I love the little thing but it's only 500GB. I'm looking at a My Book but I want to keep my option open. I have had internal WD Fail me but never an external. My 80GB WD drive though it whines loudly when I plug it in still works and it over 10 years old.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #112
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are the drives quiet? Ever had any overheating issues? I own a Passport drive and I love the little thing but it's only 500GB. I'm looking at a My Book but I want to keep my option open. I have had internal WD Fail me but never an external. My 80GB WD drive though it whines loudly when I plug it in still works and it over 10 years old.
I have several portable ones in various capacities from the Seagate Expansion line. No noise, and I've never had any other issues with them, so I keep buying them.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #113
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I have several portable ones in various capacities from the Seagate Expansion line. No noise, and I've never had any other issues with them, so I keep buying them.
Which line would compare to say a passport drive?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #114
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Smile

Thanks for starting this thread and keeping it updated, Tubemonkey! I don't plan to purchase electronics for myself anytime soon, but I'm mulling over whether to buy a Fire HD as a gift for my daughter.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #115
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Which line would compare to say a passport drive?
I'm not sure what the WD Passport drive does.

The Seagate Expansion line is basically just for added storage, not automatic backups or anything fancy. There are other Seagate drives that include software for backups, but I haven't used those. I use the Expansion drives mostly to hold video files.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #116
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
To get HD you must use a HDMI cable. We have this one and it works great and for the price you can't beat it. I hear though it wont work on Samsung TVs. Ours is a Sony Bravia.
Ummmm... I watch my Roku all the time on a Samsung TV

What you can't do with my model is stream Amazon videos direct (you can with all model years before and this year's, but not last years; both companies blame the other for the lack of "an app" that works).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #117
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Ummmm... I watch my Roku all the time on a Samsung TV

What you can't do with my model is stream Amazon videos direct (you can with all model years before and this year's, but not last years; both companies blame the other for the lack of "an app" that works).
No hon I mean the HDMI cable I linked to for $1.89 people say it wont work on some Samsung TVs. You will need a HDMI cable to use with the Roku. Ours only came with a audio/video cable but to get HD you will need a HDMI cable.

We own the Roku 2 XS. We bought it this year and it does get Amazon Instant Video and Prime.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #118
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Are the drives quiet?
Same brand, same model, one can be noisy, the next quiet. They vary, kidda like those Kindle Paperwhites

Quote:
My 80GB WD drive though it whines loudly when I plug it in still works and it over 10 years old.
I was glad to hear that because the 1 TB Hitachi primary drive, on my new computer, is on the noisy side, although it passes all tests.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 11-15-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Repeated a sentence!
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #119
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I'm not sure what the WD Passport drive does.

The Seagate Expansion line is basically just for added storage, not automatic backups or anything fancy. There are other Seagate drives that include software for backups, but I haven't used those. I use the Expansion drives mostly to hold video files.
Okay thanks I will look into them.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #120
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Same brand, same model, one can be noisy, the next not.

Same brand, same model, one can be noisy, the next quiet. They vary, kidda like those Kindle Paperwhites

I was glad to hear that because the 1 TB Hitachi I can using for the primary drive on my new computer is on the noisy side, although it passes all tests.
My WD Passport is so quiet you never hear it. It has a light so I know when it's on and when it's asleep. It sleeps after 10 minutes of inactivity. I love that feature!

You want to talk about noise. I own a 1TB WD Black that I put into a Rosewill enclosure now that drive is loud and it vibrates the shelf. I only use it for backups so it's only on for a few hours each week but yeah WD Black makes lousy externals. They are powerful drives! I didn't buy it for a external. I bought it for my PC but the motherboard can't handle the drive so I use it as a external for backups.

I need a always plugged in drive that's quiet and can sleep when not in use. I love my passport but it's full now.