Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-09-2005, 09:35 PM   #1
Sandra
Sandra began at the beginning.

Device: still choosing
need a reader,bells and whistles optional

I want to get a device that allows comfortable reading of my ebooks and is very portable. It needs to cost less than 200 euros (the lesser the better!)

I had been considering the Franklin eBookMan 911. It seemed to fit the bill as far as reading goes and it has other useful features such as an organiser.

However having spent hours browsing these forums I can't find mention of it. Any advice would be welcome.
Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
You might want to consider the Palm Z22. It's probaby the cheapest handheld with a display suitable for book reading. Only reservation is that it's significantly more expensive in euros than in dollars. € 130 vs $99. Maybe you can find it cheaper, though.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I have a Z22 myself, but I would not recommend it for book reading. The display is 160x160, and the screen door effect is quote pronounced.

It's still an option, but I wouldn't buy it unseen.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:56 PM   #4
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
An alternative would be to buy something from eBay... I assume for your location, eBay UK would be closest: eBay UK.

You probably want to go for a 320x320 display as it makes reading long text passages more pleasant.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:41 AM   #5
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

I find reading from a 320x320 screen not to be significantly better than from a 160x160 display. Sure, it looks better if you put them side-by-side, but for the purpose of actually reading texts, it makes no real difference to me. I can honestly say my reading experience has not improved since the days of the IIIc.

Actually, the Z22 can be had for approx. €110 if you look around on eBay, so my original statement about it being too expensive does not hold. That said, the T|E2 for €150 would be a better buy.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:06 PM   #6
Sandra

The T E2 sounds well worth considering. I'll check it out. I'm still a bit curious about the eBookMan - has anyone tried one? http://www.ectaco.co.uk/E-BookMan-911/
Old 11-12-2005, 04:00 AM   #7
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra
I'm still a bit curious about the eBookMan - has anyone tried one? http://www.ectaco.co.uk/E-BookMan-911/
I have the feeling there are very few MobileRead users who have a dedicated reader like the eBookMan. These devices just aren't as common as PDAs or smartphones.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:23 PM   #8
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
There's a Fictionwise group on Yahoo which has a _lot_ of members using dedicated bookreaders. You might want to consider taking a look there and asking a few questions as they have a much larger base of book reader users.

Having said that, we're always keen to learn more about and discuss them here at Mobileread too
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:17 AM   #9
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
I personally have a RocketBook 1100. A black & white screen but fairly large. I find it very pleasant to read with, mainly because of the size of the screen which, simply said, is good. I do read on my pocketpc but the rocketbook is very nice too.

That said, I would not recommend it simply because if you buy one, you do not know which version you get. Only the latest ones can run home-made content.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:21 AM   #10
Vaporware
Not here yet.
Vaporware began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2 Ebook Reader
I have an ETI-2 (previously known as gemstar 1200) ebook reader. It will take HTML, txt, rb, a couple image formats and a couple others, but no PDFs or DRM content. So, if you like reading text files or webpages from the internet or old public domain books, track one down. I enjoy mine very much. I've read more books because it's just so easy to pick it up.
Vaporware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:38 AM   #11
Sandra

Thanks for the suggestion, Craig - I'll check it out. Jaapan, screen size is an issue for me. I think I would find the small screen on some devices frustrating. Colour or black and white is irrelevant to me - comfort is the main thing.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:55 PM   #12
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you haven't had the chance to look at a VGA screen on a PPC (or the 480x320 screens on many Palm OS devices), you might want to try them out, as you'll be pleasently surprised at how clear and crisp the display really is.

I saw a workmate's ipaq 4700 displaying an ebook in the µbook reader, and new I could never put up with the 320x240 display of my h1930 again. The rest is history...
Old 11-16-2005, 07:39 AM   #13
Jaapjan
Avid reader

I have to disagree with Craig, despite him being a mobileread editor. No matter how crisp the screen is, the device -stays- small. As does the screen. It is a pity you cannot get a eBookwise 1150 from Fictionwise, Sandra. But being in Europe has that effect. They only deliver to US companies. I had mine from eBay and had it sent over from the US. Do not regret it either. Those books I have read on it were very pleasant. Still, you might be better to try that ETI-2 Vaporware was talking about. Though, how you'll find it is beyond me. I also have no idea about how enjoyable it is. The 1100 has excellent battery time (more then 8) and a good size for reading, about the size of a novel.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:22 PM   #14
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

Heh, you're allowed to disagree with me, you know

We're all entitled to our opinions, and to be honest I've never played with a dedicated book reader so I can't comment with surety on the quality of their displays. I _have_ had a lot of experience with Palm Hi res and PPC QVGA/VGA screens though, so I guess I'm inclined to lean towards them

Having said that, I'd still recommend going into a store or hassling friends/family/workmates with devices if you can and checking them out so you can make a decision based on which display suits you best, if your primary interest is ebook reading.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:49 AM   #15
Jaapjan
Avid reader

Having a nice and crisp screen is very important off course, Craig. I agree. But, physical screen size is very important for book reading as well. And no matter how fine or lovely the resolution and colors of a pocket PC or palm are, it doesn't make them bigger.

Still, I agree with Craig about somethings, Sandra. Try and see how several different devices are to your liking if you can. Check many reviews about the Fictionwise 1150 (because it is about the same as the ETI-2 and 1100) and other reviews about other devices.