Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #16
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
It's not a major issue, so whenever you get around to it. I'll be looking forward to trying it out.

What was the problem with he SD card? If it had something to do with losing the data on it, I'll have a new blank one prepared so I don't worry about my university notes.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #17
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Well, actually, the internal and external cards are inverted so if you try to flash something, it won't work and the IQ would format the SDcard, thinking it is a new internal one. But now, I got it covered.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #18
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Hi Icewyng,

just curiosity, but which of the various ROMs for the PDN did you port? I just had a look on Slatedroid and found they even have CM7 (2.3.5) and HC for this.
May I start hoping for a miracle or is it too different ?

Regads, Troll05
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:55 AM   #19
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
just curiosity, but which of the various ROMs for the PDN did you port? I just had a look on Slatedroid and found they even have CM7 (2.3.5) and HC for this.
May I start hoping for a miracle or is it too different ?
At first, I wanted to make sure that I could convert the PDN Rom and what I needed to modify so I have used Kewlguy's SH20 Rom as a testbed. So far, I was able to make it work with a few minor modifications.

As for GB and HC, I am moderately hopeful I will work on the IQ. I need to look into it a bit more and see what can be done. I have a few ideas on how I could do it.

I try to put as much time as I can into rom development for the IQ but you have to keep in mind I do this in my free time. With work and family, this can be limited at times.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:10 AM   #20
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
...I do this in my free time. With work and family, this can be limited at times.

Tell me

Great job so far, take all the time you need...
Old 11-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #21
Icewyng
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Tell me

Great job so far, take all the time you need...
The first step was to make sure it could work. Now, I will take a look at the Roms and see what I need to do to make them work. That might take a while since there is some things that might not be supported in the hardware.

I plan to let everyone know every step of the way
Old 12-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #22
Icewyng
Addict

Still working on this as well... I am doing both projects at the same time since they are complimentary.

There are quite a few changes from 2.06 to 2.12 in the framework so I want to check them out. There are 441 files that changed... might take a while
Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #23
bogdandb
bogdandb began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
Question

Hi, I am new to the forum. Please forgive me that this is off topic, but I don't know where to address my question. I bought an IQ 701 with installed official 2.1.2 firmware. My problem is that for some packets I receive error [Parse Error] "There is a problem parson the package". I look in the Internet and found that the android version required by the package is higher that android version installed on my device (as I understand it is 2.0, no matter that firmware is 2.1.2). This is the reason that I can not install those packages. For me is strange that some users report that they installed some of them on lower version of the firmware. If you could explain to me where is the problem and if it has a solution. Sorry once again for the off topic, but I decide that if the topic is repacking firmware you have enough knowledge to give me some reasonable explanation. 10x in advance.

P.S. I have HTC Desire but did not root it and install software only from the market.
bogdandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #24
troll05
Harmless idiot

Hello and welcome to MR

For the older Firmwares there was a bunch of tweaks and patches that allowed for installatiuon of apps that require Froyo or higher.

Unfortunately most of these don't work with the newer FW.
But you may try the port from PDN by Icewyng, that has got Market access and fakes 2.1 for the Market.

BUT: It's not an official release and you may lose your warranty if it goes bad

Another possibility is to downgrade to 2.0.6 and install all those patches, but those are also not official but at least accepted by various PB employees in Germany
Old 12-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #25
bogdandb
bogdandb began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
10x for the explanation - I have such suspicions , but I want to hear expert opinion. For now I will leave 2.1.2 - it works fine up to now. If I badly need some package then I will try 2.0.6 . After all - this is e-book reader, and I already installed enough apps to read books and watch mp4 . 10x again
bogdandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:34 AM   #26
frth
frth began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook IQ 701
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
7) Various tweaks to the build.prop

A JIT Rom will follow in the next few days with Flash Lite. This ROM does not have toms of apps but it is more a testbed at this point. As it gets ready, I will add more.
Hi Icewyng,

Can you please write here what tweaks you did in build.prop?
For example did you tried to add "dalvik.vm.startheapsize" and play with different values? Like I know it could be up to 64 and this setting could rise the perfomance of device.

Will you do JIT Rom?

And one more qustion:
At lest in Russian market now IQ sold with official 2.1.2 firmware - the most instresting update is in memory allocated for apps, now it 318mb + 240mb.
I wrote to russian support and they answered that 2.1.2 firmware will be avalible for downloading soon.
So Icewyng, would you be so nice to make such customization for that, then it will be avalible for downloading or for now you are interesting only in PDN S20 port?

Last edited by frth; 01-02-2012 at 04:30 AM.
frth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #27
Alex-C
Alex-C began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 701 IQ
First of all, Hi all!

I'm new to the forum and to the PB IQ, received two days ago
Took it only to read, with in mind only CHMs and PDFs. For CHMs easy peasy, I took the BestReader(support rom1.5) APK from my phone and moved to the IQ... But with ezPDF reader I found the surprise!

Unfortunately I thought I could easily root the IQ, but I found out only with the device in my hands this story about the 2.1.2 FW

TBH I can live without wifi, market, and everything else, but I really need the android 2.1 support for the ezPDF!

so, before I start to try, I need to ask a simple question: if I flash the ROM from this thread and something goes wrong, with the factory reset I go back to the original state??

p.s. pity the thread is no longer that alive
Alex-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #28
troll05
Harmless idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-C View Post
First of all, Hi all!

I'm new to the forum and to the PB IQ, received two days ago
Took it only to read, with in mind only CHMs and PDFs. For CHMs easy peasy, I took the BestReader(support rom1.5) APK from my phone and moved to the IQ... But with ezPDF reader I found the surprise!

Unfortunately I thought I could easily root the IQ, but I found out only with the device in my hands this story about the 2.1.2 FW

TBH I can live without wifi, market, and everything else, but I really need the android 2.1 support for the ezPDF!

so, before I start to try, I need to ask a simple question: if I flash the ROM from this thread and something goes wrong, with the factory reset I go back to the original state??

p.s. pity the thread is no longer that alive

Hi and welcome,

A factory reset won't help to go back to a previous ROM, but you can simply flash an original one from the PB support and everything is fine again.

Another possibility you might try first is to flash the file from this link (Like it was a new ROM), this will change the Android-version number from 2.0.x to 2.1 and then you can use apps like ezPDF or Aldiko2.0
Unfortunately I don't know if this will work with newer ROMs, but it was fine up to 2.0.6. Just try, it will not brick your device.

BTW: This repack is 2.0 Eclair as well
Old 04-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #29
Alex-C
Alex-C began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 701 IQ
wow, thank you for the fast replay

your suggestion is very interesting, looks what I actually had in mind
so no JIT Dalvik involved, but just a way to quick root and to fool the OS in thinking he is 2.1, right?

unfortunately I still feel too noob about android, to start right away in tweaks...

at the moment I workaround my misery with Aldiko 2 for Android pre 2.1
http://www.appazonia.com/wp-content/...aldiko-2.0.apk

and cropping files on the pc with PDFQuench
http://www.hecticgeek.com/2012/01/pd...-ubuntu-linux/

edit: http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/ is WAY faster

in the meanwhile I'll try to improve my android culture, the IQ is my first tablet, and for the future I'll use it as a guinea pig

Last edited by Alex-C; 04-14-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Alex-C is offline   Reply With Quote