Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-23-2008, 05:40 AM   #1
northbikerjr
northbikerjr began at the beginning.

Device: Undecided
Wink Ectaco Jetbook and trying to find the right ebook reader.

Read the forums here and some reviews on this ebook device, but didnt find much substance.
Was looking at this versus cybook. Also was pissed off with the EUR pricing here in Europe and having to pay a lot more for the cybook device.

Anyone have one of these now? If so, what are the pros and cons versus cybook.

I read somewhere that the jetbook might be better with pdf.
So here my requirements.
1. I want an open system file format to use.
2. Works good with pdf--Not interested in the paying > 400usd.
3. Want to read technical books--ala programming, system books. So pdf format and chtml, etc. Can occassionally read leisure books, but not required.
4. Needs to be simple.

Ps. I like Sony, but it is not very open based on what I have read and the pdf support is not the best, so I am unsure of it being in the mix?
northbikerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:01 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I have the Cybook and the OEM version of the jetbook. I had intended to compare the PDF abilities, but forgot. I'll get to it today.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did a side by side comparison. The Cybook is faster at rendering a page, but the M218A has a number of nice zoom features.

I reviewed the M218A over here.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:13 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's worth remembering that PDF support was a last minute addition to the current Gen3 firmware - it was initially due to ship without it. I think we can reasonably expect significant improvements in the area of zooming, etc, in future firmware upgrades.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:22 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Speaking of PDF, supposedly in the forthcoming 505 firmware, the PDF support is supposed to be enhanced. As for who and what, I do not know. But it's worth waiting to find out what happens if you really want PDF support in a 6" eink based reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Speaking of PDF, supposedly in the forthcoming 505 firmware, the PDF support is supposed to be enhanced. As for who and what, I do not know. But it's worth waiting to find out what happens if you really want PDF support in a 6" eink based reader.
Well, they showed reflow at the electronic show with a text only eBook so I would imagine that this was to demonstrate a feature of the upcoming release. Why else would they show it?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbikerjr View Post
Anyone have one of these now? If so, what are the pros and cons versus cybook.
I just received a JetBook device today to review.

Quote:
I read somewhere that the jetbook might be better with pdf.
So here my requirements.
1. I want an open system file format to use.
2. Works good with pdf--Not interested in the paying > 400usd.
3. Want to read technical books--ala programming, system books. So pdf format and chtml, etc. Can occassionally read leisure books, but not required.
4. Needs to be simple.
I will be sure to include these items in my review.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:32 AM   #8
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I just received a JetBook device today to review.

I will be sure to include these items in my review.

BOb
And some comments about the included English explanatory dictionary, please.

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:47 AM   #9
northbikerjr

Thanks guys for your responses.

Nate, I looked at your review on m218a and I liked the device. Actually liked the black color better than the jetbook red color, but I couldnt see where I could buy it, other than in China or something, so that is pretty much out unless you have a source to buy it.

Nate, you seem to know a lot about the Cybook and seemed to have every device out and you mostly recommend cybook, based on what I want to use it for do you think it will work? I am not sure how good I can convert from pdf to other formats as well.

Jon, you seem to know alot about the Sony. Same question as I have for Nate, do you think it will work for what I am looking for. Also, I read a lot of people complaining about conversion from other formats to it, is it that much of a pain.

Bob, if you dont mind post a link here when you have reviewed it. I would like to see some other pictures of it as well other than the one I see everywhere. But of course, I dont care so much as long as it works well.

Other note, I emailed Ectaco sales and asked if I could return it within 30 days and they told me I could return it within 7 days if it didnt do what I wanted, so that is ok, but I really need 30 days though.

Thanks again for all your help and information
Old 04-25-2008, 07:05 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Thanks guys for your responses.

Nate, I looked at your review on m218a and I liked the device. Actually liked the black color better than the jetbook red color, but I couldnt see where I could buy it, other than in China or something, so that is pretty much out unless you have a source to buy it.
I found mine on Ebay. It was sold by a China based electronics retailer.

Quote:
Nate, you seem to know a lot about the Cybook and seemed to have every device out and you mostly recommend cybook, based on what I want to use it for do you think it will work? I am not sure how good I can convert from pdf to other formats as well.
Actually, I prefer my Kindle to the Cybook. But the Kindle can't do PDFs without conversion, and Amazon's automated conversion is hit or miss. Among hand-held devices, the Cybook is the best at displaying PDFs (in its price range).If you spend more for an Iliad, laptop, UMPC, then you'll get a better viewer (with much less battery life).
Old 04-29-2008, 04:50 AM   #11
northbikerjr

Thanks Nate, I checked ebay for it, but didnt find any. Of course, it looks like I will not go for that one as there isnt much support for it.

Kindle? Well I am not in the US, so it doesnt appeal to me since I wouldnt use all its features.

Actually I like the Cybook the best, just the price is a pain, since they only charge EUR to European customers. With the dollar so weak now, there is a big price difference.

So, If I am to buy it, I have to get some of my family in the US to buy it for me and then send it to me. I think this is what I may do. We are talking over 100 dollars difference in price and it will not cost more than 40 to ship it to me, dumb that Cybook doesnt adjust the pricing.

I want to look a little more at the Sony first though, so waiting on the new software and see what others say about it and how well pdf works.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:20 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Actually I like the Cybook the best, just the price is a pain, since they only charge EUR to European customers. With the dollar so weak now, there is a big price difference.
Bear in mind that the European price INCLUDES the French VAT rate of 19.6%. The US price EXCLUDES any taxes. If you buy from the US, you'll have to pay your local rate of VAT and (perhaps) import tax when you receive it.

I think you'll find that, once you figure all that in, the prices in the US and EU are not dissimilar.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks Nate, I checked ebay for it, but didnt find any. Of course, it looks like I will not go for that one as there isnt much support for it.

Kindle? Well I am not in the US, so it doesnt appeal to me since I wouldnt use all its features.

So, If I am to buy it, I have to get some of my family in the US to buy it for me and then send it to me. I think this is what I may do. We are talking over 100 dollars difference in price and it will not cost more than 40 to ship it to me, dumb that Cybook doesnt adjust the pricing.

I want to look a little more at the Sony first though, so waiting on the new software and see what others say about it and how well pdf works.
You can get the Gen3 from NAEB aif the piece including VAT would be good enough to you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook device., jetbook