Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Sony to compete with iPad

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d18b6e90-1...44feab49a.html

With Sony's experience with ebook readers AND computers, I wonder if we can expect a better reading device?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
That could be very interesting given the move to epub at the Sony store and their general move towards more generic compatibility....

I would expect any such device to be more open.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
Lynn2010
Lynn2010 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Competition is a great thing. It will give us a larger selection of e-readers and better technology. We must always protect competition in the marketplace.
Lynn2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
With Sony's experience with ebook readers AND computers, I wonder if we can expect a better reading device?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Personally I think the Notion Ink Adam is far superior to the iPad, but Sony might do a better job. And unlike Apple's POS, I'll be able to buy ebooks from several different stores.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
Personally I think the Notion Ink Adam is far superior to the iPad, but Sony might do a better job. And unlike Apple's POS, I'll be able to buy ebooks from several different stores.

Etienne66
What makes you think that you won't be able to buy books from multiple sources for the Apple? For example, using the Kindle App, you'll be able to buy any Amazon eBook for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What makes you think that you won't be able to buy books from multiple sources for the Apple? For example, using the Kindle App, you'll be able to buy any Amazon eBook for it.
From what I understand Apple will be using their own proprietary DRM and will not support the Adobe DRM. Which means unless they support DRM free books or allow other ebook programs for the iPad, you will have to buy your ebooks from their store.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't think we will know for sure until people start buying the iPad. But in general I don't like Apple. Then again I don't like Microsoft either, but with my job I don't have much choice but to use their software.

Besides I like the battery life of the Notion Ink Adam much better. 16 hours of video or 160 hours of ebook reading, if I have my numbers correct.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
From what I understand Apple will be using their own proprietary DRM and will not support the Adobe DRM. Which means unless they support DRM free books or allow other ebook programs for the iPad, you will have to buy your ebooks from their store.
What you say about "iBook" is perfectly true, but Apple said in the iPad launch that all applications for the iPhone and iPod Touch will run on the iPad, so that means that Apps like the Kindle App should run fine, which will open up other sources of books.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Probably, but you can almost guarantee it'll be linked to some awful awful software that makes the damn thing all but unusable, or will be horribly marketed (see: Betamax, PS3, any of their MP3 devices, the Sony Store Software...)

I'm almost always impressed by Sony's products, but rarely purchase them due to some major inadequacy that I just can't compromise on.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
What you say about "iBook" is perfectly true, but Apple said in the iPad launch that all applications for the iPhone and iPod Touch will run on the iPad, so that means that Apps like the Kindle App should run fine, which will open up other sources of books.
well he said they would be able to run but he didn't say they would be allowed to run. Later on they were also careful to amend that to "almost all" so the jury is still out until devices are delivered to people who will try the other apps.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Sony's Vaio series laptops get mostly good reviews and have sexy design. They can be a worthy competitor. Competition is good.

Don't forget, this is not Apple's first drink from the poisoned well. Anyone remember the Newton? My boss had one. Cute but a horrible failure. While bashing Sony is easy (you didn't mention SACD disks, MD disks, Memory Stick, ...), don't forget Apple can't throw too many stones (Apple Lisa, anyone?).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
don't forget Apple can't throw too many stones (Apple Lisa, anyone?).
The Lisa may not have been a commercial success, but it was a revolutionary machine - eg the first commercially sold computer to use a mouse, if I recall correctly. Without the Lisa there would have perhaps have been no Mac and no Windows.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
No. That was without XEROX there would have been no Mac or Windows
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
On a serious note - I love competition. The more the merrier. Some will survive, some will die, but it will all drive innovation.

I just hope that open standards for media are embraced as they do so. Proprietary formats (e.g., sony's media disk, Beta, Apple's .dmg format IMHO) that are locked into one vendor or one platform are, ultimately doomed to failure or to being forced to open up down the road (MS's office document formats).

Unless a new media storage format significantly improves upon current open formats, STOP, consumers don't want it!

(This has been another opinionated post by guyanonymous)
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #15
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
I'm pretty sure they said most*** iPhone applications would run. There's still Apple's app approval process to get through, which already has a demonstrated policy against duplicating native functionality. Until the thing is on the market, we won't know whether or not Apple intends to reject e-book reading apps.

*** Actually, it was "almost all".

Last edited by jasonkchapman; 02-06-2010 at 12:11 PM.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote