Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-13-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
berniej
Enthusiast
berniej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
The Wikireader: Right Gadget, Wrong Implementation?

I saw this in Gizmodo today -- The Wikireader. It is a small dedicated reader for wikipedia made by the company Openmoko. The wikipedia articles are stored on a microSD and updates, if any, can be downloaded and copied over that same microSD. The device looks a bit small (see attached pic) but it does have a touchscreen and on-screen keyboard. The Wikireader costs $99.

I don't think people will line up to get one of these BUT if Openmoko made it to read standard eBook files (ebook, mobireader, even plain text) then it may well be the low-cost reader everyone is waiting for.
berniej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
tr_tr
tr_tr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Specs will be revealed in a few days. Being a device from the OpenMoko guys this will be easily hackable for sure (confirmed by the CEO of OM) . There are lots of devs wanting to get their hands on one.
If readability outside is good, I will buy one.
tr_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 02:26 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
From the pictures, I'd say it's a reflective LCD.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
tr_tr
tr_tr began at the beginning.

Device: none
http://www.youtube.com/user/YouBeTheExpert

Well... seems they are advertising this thing to be readable outdoors for young and old. So I guess they think the screen is one of the selling points. I will wait for specs and some user experiences.

[edit] there is another thread started in the news section https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59194

Last edited by tr_tr; 10-14-2009 at 02:23 PM.
tr_tr is offline   Reply With Quote