Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-18-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
What prompts the Kindle to rebuild the index?

It's been a tough week for my Kindle DX. A few days ago I plugged it into my PC to put some new books on it...as it came up, Vista indicated that the drive was corrupted, and did I want it repaired? I thought 'hmmmm' and said 'OK'.

After the repair my books, all 1100 of them, were gone. Disappeared, poof. I called Amazon and they said that since the DX operating system is Linux, repairing it with Windows can wipe the drive. He had me do a factory reset to ensure that the drive was clean. Seemed odd to me but I sighed and proceeded to reload my books.

24 hours later it appeared that the index had been completely built (no books waiting) but today it suddenly decided that 700-odd books needed indexing. I did read and delete a few books in the interim, but would that require a complete rebuild of that index??? What prompts the process to kick off?

Since all of this happened, the DX has been occasionally locking up so there may be something wrong with it. I'll be reading normally, hit the button to turn the page, and nothing happens. Locked up tight. Sometimes I need to reset it to get it going again.

Is that legit, what he told me about never letting Windows repair the drive?
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
It takes a while to index 700 books. The last time I loaded that many books it took 4 or 5 days to completely index them. Your DX is probably still in the process of indexing.

I've never had Windows report that the drive on any of my Kindles was corrupted but I wouldn't let Windows fix a drive on a non-Windows device.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 03:45 AM   #3
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
Since all of this happened, the DX has been occasionally locking up so there may be something wrong with it. I'll be reading normally, hit the button to turn the page, and nothing happens. Locked up tight. Sometimes I need to reset it to get it going again.
This has happened to me as well under what seems to be similar-ish circumstances. I had to wipe my KX and I then proceeded to upload my entire library (around 700 books). During the indexing - which took about 5 days and, yes, did seem to 'start over' on a couple of occasions - I had problems with the device locking up. It's been fine since the indexing completed. I hope yours will be too.

Last edited by Scott Nielsen; 07-30-2009 at 03:48 AM.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
YYZscientist
YYZscientist began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX (Global)
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but it's very closely related to what I was wondering and I notice that the original question wasn't really answered, i.e. what prompts a rebuild of the index. And how does one know when the device is indexing? Does it show up in the 411/611 info, or is there just a noticeable slowdown in performance?

In particular, I'm wondering if there's a way to force a rebuild. I ask because I just updated the author metadata of a few PDF files I had on my Kinde DX (Global) and they are still showing up with the old erroneous data. It would be nice to just force an index rebuild now.
YYZscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I hate to bring up dead thread again, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to index books on the KDXG. I have 70 books are not indexed yet and it's annoying when i need to do a search. I did look through other threads which said to do search, and select the last option "Items not Indexed", then reboot, however it hasn't solved the problem yet. I would be thankful for any hlp. Thanks
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 02:45 AM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Apart from deleting the said books and loading them back on again, I can't think of any other way of getting the Kindle to index the items. Hopefully there is a better method.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If you select one (or more) items in the 'Items Not Yet Indexed' result page, they should gray-out and start indexing. Unless your battery is nearly drained.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote