Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-29-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Ars technica article: Landmark study: DRM truly does make pirates out of us all

From arstechnica.com:
"Landmark study: DRM truly does make pirates out of us all

A UK researcher has spent years interviewing people about whether DRM has affected their ability to use content in ways ordinarily protected by the law. Surprise! It has, even leading one sight-impaired woman to piracy."

Read more:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-of-us-all.ars
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
whether DRM has affected their ability to use content in ways ordinarily protected by the law.
I thought that was the entire purpose of DRM. This is a surprise?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 03:02 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
From arstechnica.com:
"Landmark study: DRM truly does make pirates out of us all
I object to the title of this thread. What right does anyone have to call me a pirate for removing DRM from my own property, to be used only on my ereader, and not given to anyone else?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:00 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
DRM removal may (depending on where you live) be illegal, but it's certainly not "piracy".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I object to the title of this thread. What right does anyone have to call me a pirate for removing DRM from my own property, to be used only on my ereader, and not given to anyone else?

Regards, Alex
It's the title of the article.

The RIAA has claimed that making a digital copy of a CD you've legally bought, is unauthorized copyright infringement. They've also claimed that making a file available for download should be prosecuted as copyright infringement, even if there's no evidence that anyone downloaded it.

What certain rights-holders think is copyright infringement has very little connection to what most of us think is reasonable, ethical use of what we've bought. And what's "legal" is what stands up in court, not what fits a sensible person's reading of the law.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
That is not what the article says. It says that if bought material has DRM people will download the same material without DRM instead of buying it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:34 AM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
The RIAA has claimed that making a digital copy of a CD you've legally bought, is unauthorized copyright infringement. They've also claimed that making a file available for download should be prosecuted as copyright infringement, even if there's no evidence that anyone downloaded it.
They've lost both of those arguments in court.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:09 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
That is not what the article says. It says that if bought material has DRM people will download the same material without DRM instead of buying it.
I know that, Tompe, and agree with the conclusions drawn from the evidence presented. But I still object to being called a pirate for removing DRM on files I have purchased for my own use only on my own ereader.

Regards, Alex
Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #9
John Bailey
Connoisseur
John Bailey doesn't litterJohn Bailey doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:

Regards, Alex
Where do you get the idea it's your property? DRM means that you can use it as the owner says.

That isn't you. Ain't IP fun
John Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:20 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bailey View Post
Where do you get the idea it's your property? DRM means that you can use it as the owner says.

That isn't you. Ain't IP fun
Sez who?

Regards, Alex
Old 06-01-2009, 04:53 AM   #11
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
DRM removal may (depending on where you live) be illegal, but it's certainly not "piracy".

Really! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

look for my ebay auction for my Eyepatch and blunderbuss

ill sell my peg leg on craigslist.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:55 AM   #12
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
not what fits a sensible person's reading of the law.
its not like a judge is a sensible person. I mean come on... he decided to be a lawyer!
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bailey View Post
DRM means that you can use it as the owner says.
But that's not what copyright means. This is the point of the article. DRM is restricting things that would normally be allowed by copyright. Thus, people have to become "pirates" in order to do what is supposed to be legal.

The main point of DRM is to artificially restrict what would otherwise be consumer rights.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:16 AM   #14
John Bailey
Connoisseur
John Bailey doesn't litterJohn Bailey doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Sez who?

Regards, Alex
Those nice people who can take you to court for stealing something you bought.

Getting serious for a minute.

If someone can stop you using something you thought was yours, then it isn't yours.

Basically all DRM enabled content is rented, not bought. Conditions may change at any time, and at the discretion of the owner (not you).

If it's tied to the device or tied to an account, then you don't own it. The sooner enough people see this, the sooner it can be done away with.
John Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:51 AM   #15
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Hmmm...how about reading the actual manuscript? Here it is:

http://www.law.cam.ac.uk/faculty-res...ssessment/6286

Or you could read the abstract and recommendations here: http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/2009/...al-assessment/

I think the conclusions are worth reading. It much less sensationalises Ars Technica's own title and really gets to actual problems rather than using loosey-goosey phrase such as "makes pirates out of all of us". The conclusions are much more nuanced and meaningful than that.

A key conclusion is that DRM can prevent permissible acts from being executed in the U.K: "Although DRM has not impacted on many acts permitted by law, certain permitted acts are being adversely affected by the use of DRM [emphasis mine]."

Last edited by thibaulthalpern; 06-05-2009 at 02:04 AM. Reason: clarification
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote