Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20
WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleKB (fixed battery!) and a new Kobo Glo!
Have I made a mistake?

Morning all,

Mucking about with Sigil, which I don't know how to use, I appear to have removed all of the splits from my Orwell ePubs. Now, they still work just fine but both of my devices (Kobo Glo and Pyrus Mini) are really slow in opening them. Is this due to the books each being in one big file rather than in several bits, so are loaded at the time of opening rather than in bits as reading progresses?

Despite there being several online references on how to format ePubs, I cannot seem to make a.sensible job of it, ending up with weird breaks all over the place, fonts all messed up, etc. Can anyone explain to me, in non-html-competent speak?

I really should learn this newfangled html stuff I guess, although it is all a bit difficult.

Piggly
WigglePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
The slowdown is almost certainly due to the books now being a single large file. My PRS-300 is slow with big files so I split on chapters. (Calibre does this for me during conversion from a single large text file.)

You would probably be better posting in the Sigil forum since Sigil may also have the means of undoing what you've done. If that fails then you could resort to backups.

One last option may be to convert with calibre, but this seems a bit of a sledgehammer solution in this case.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
One big file will cause problems and even non opening in some older readers. Most people split at each chapter to avoid these problems and to make it easier to resolve problems while editing, so you only work on one chapter at a time in search and replace.

You may have other weird problems because when you press the space bar you insert a non breaking space, which means as far as the reader is concerned, the two words are one for the purpose of display. You can only get rid of this in book view searching for   and replacing it with a press of the spacebar in codeview.

You probably need to check out http://www.w3schools.com/ and look up anything there you don't understand in code view. Save your mess with another file name, then go in and remove any formatting that doesn't make sense to you. It can take some time if you converted a pdf file to get this.

Orwell is out of copyright probably only in Canada and Australia, so don't figure on distributing them elsewhere.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote