Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #691
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
okay. I found a weird bug...

When I click the thing 1st named thing in my kterm folder "KTERM RUNNER" it runs the wrong thing go.sh (the second action in the lists action) EDIT: (and now the third thing so I don't think its an index problem...)

and when I click the "WAKE UP" it runs nothing...

Investigating. All I can notice is they both have a priority of 1 (which is stupid I know)

will dig.

Code:
{
	"items": [
		{"name": "FOO RUNNER", "priority": 1, "action": "/mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/runit.sh"},
		{"name": "KTERM RUNNER", "priority": 1, "action": "/mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/runit.sh"},
		{"name": "WAKE UP", "priority": 2, "action": "/mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/go.sh"}
	]
}
try it for yourself stepk... could there be an index off by one somewhere?

But adding FOO RUNNER still did not fix it... so can't be an index? weird.

EDIT:

Actually hunting around I may be seeing this in other extensions too...

Trying to pin down what is happening.

Last edited by twobob; 04-09-2013 at 12:45 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #692
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have to give in. Too tired to think. Will resume testing in the AM
Advert
Old 04-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #693
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
got the latest pull down now.

Gonna reboot, but this looks much better
When you get a chance, can you please post a screenie from ínside a sub-menu on a K3 (and also K4, if it looks significantly different). Thanks
stepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #694
twobob

Okay mate.

I'll do that now.

You know what would be nice? I was thinking... In that Test menu thingy.. Attach it to a script that "Logs" (using the new log?) which selection NAME was selected and which selection ACTION was run.

Or something. Or have an option to log that. "Last Actions"

Hey 5 hours sleep. I'm not with it yet. Maybe we already do!

Gonna do both of those things, And I already did take a picture inside a submenu on the lower devices now I think of it. But it was back when the world was round :P

Spoiler:

But I'll do it again. With bells on. Since the latest build is much sexier

Gets more coffee, off to organise that other thing you asked for
Old 04-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #695
twobob

Okay. I found it.

Code:
{
		{
			"name": "Testy",
			"priority": 1,
		{"name": "FOO RUNNER", "priority": 1, "action": "bin/foo.sh"},
		{"name": "BAH RUNNER", "priority": 2, "action": "bin/bah.sh"},
		{"name": "FUBARRED", "priority": 3, "action": "bin/fubar.sh"}			
			]
		}
	]
}
WILL Work.

Code:
{
	]
}
Won't work.

It's related to the formatting of the menu.json...
Reproducible in all instances.

Last edited by twobob; 04-09-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: REMOVED TYPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111etc etc
Advert
Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #696
twobob

Let me run those tests now...

Hmm.. Looks like there may be an issue where non - absolute things don't run as expected also. Sent you the first test results to show this in action.

Looking for more examples.

EDIT: Okay. It seems like that one "gtk mines" thing is the only one that exhibits that behaviour so far... I'll just repack the damn thing - and it is unique (AFAIK) in the way it called from A) Not inside a folder B) as a non full path, haven't found anything else like that yet...

Last edited by twobob; 04-09-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #697
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Okay. I found it.

Code:
{
        {
            ]
        }
    ]
}
WILL Work.

Code:
{
} <<<---- unmatched brace            
    ]
}
Won't work.

As in un-balanced braces ?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #698
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
As in un-balanced braces ?
Oops Typo.

Thanks Mate.

No. I just "Made that one up" to show to two types and screwed up the edit. DOH.

Silly me.

But I will just double check now that that wasn't the issue

EDIT: ah no it wasn't as evidenced in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=691 (that's from the machine as opposed to me "mocking it up")

GOOD CATCH THOUGH!

evidently is was "Too early in the morning" to "proof-read" my own posts.

Smacks Hands!

Last edited by twobob; 04-09-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #699
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Okay. I found it.

Code:
{
		{
			]
		}
	]
}
WILL Work.

Code:
{
		{"name": "FUBARRED", "priority": 3, "action": "bin/fubar.sh"}}			
	]
}
Won't work.

The second JSON sample is invalid. This is what I get, you should see the same, don't you?
Code:
{
	]
}

.../menu.json: expected <, or ]> but got <}> at input token 46

KUAL( 1 ) ▶
  .Syntax .../menu.json      <<< [more info in KUAL log]
  Save and reset KUAL log
  Sort Menu 123
  × Quit
EDIT: I see now that you've already discovered the extra brace issue. Well, then my reply simply illustrates that the new parser catches and doesn't ignore invalid JSON - the former parser was more graceful and ignored bad syntax. I chose for the new parser not to be lenient.

Last edited by stepk; 04-09-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #700
twobob

The vast majority of the extensions appear to be in the LONGER NESTED format.

For the record.

Have to check the changelogs to see that the next version will support both formats.
I kind of recall that it didn't, Might be an awful lot of retro-fitting to be done if that is the case..
They are both supported : )

Also only the NESTED format style is the only type that creates the collapsible menus. The other type does not create the ▶

EDIT: which makes perfect sense all outline below... Duh

TBC

Last edited by twobob; 04-09-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #701
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepk View Post
The second JSON sample is invalid. This is what I get, you should see the same, don't you?
Code:
{
	]
}

.../menu.json: expected <, or ]> but got <}> at input token 46

KUAL( 1 ) ▶
  .Syntax .../menu.json      <<< [more info in KUAL log]
  Save and reset KUAL log
  Sort Menu 123
  × Quit

GAH!!! Like I said above that was a TYPO from this morning... ROFL!

I was just making an example of the long and short formats for visual comparison...

Right that's it I'm going back to edit it. EDIT: DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111 lol

The PROPER file is at the top of this page

Note To Self:

FIX TYPOS WHEN SOMEONE MENTIONS THEM!!!!!!!!!!111111111 etc
whether you are busy testing or not! lol

Last edited by twobob; 04-09-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #702
stepk
Groupie

Quote:
The vast majority of the extensions appear to be in the LONGER format.

For the record.

Have to check the changelogs to see that the next version will support both formats.
I kind of recall that it didn't, Might be an awful lot of retro-fitting to be done if that is the case..

Also only the longer format style is the only type that creates the collapsible menus. The other type does not create the ▶

TBC
I can reproduce this bug, I'm on it, thank you.

Calling them "long" vs. "short" formats is confusing. They really are different formats. The first format means to create a sub-menu. The second format means to add three top-level items. That's why it doesn't add the ▶

The spoiler includes my explanation of the "proper" menu structure, you might have read it before in README-dev.txt (I don't think I have pushed it to bitbucket yet, but it's reproduced in the KUAL test build thread on knetconnect).

Spoiler:

Code:
Json Menu Structure
-------------------

Going from KUAL 1 (flat menu) to KUAL 2 (nested menu) we face an issue
concerning how to properly describe a menu object with json.
Two slightly different menu templates are in common use.
The first template fully conforms to Yifan Lu's definition[8], e.g.:
{
     {"name": "Main menu, Item 1", "action": "act1.sh"},
     {
       "name": "Main menu, Submenu 1",
         {"name": "Submenu 1, Item 1", "action": "act11.sh"},
         {"name": "Submenu 1, Item 2", "action": "act12.sh"}
       ]
     }
  ]
}

Template 1 provides no explicit way of specifying a main menu label, which
suggests to me that Yifan Lu's intended the Kindle menu button as the main menu,
and when you press it Yifan Lu's launcher displays "Main menu, Item 1" as the
top level item.

Template 2 is a sort of application package menu:
{
  "name": "Application 1 menu"
     {"name": "Application 1 menu, Item 1", "action": "act1.sh"},
     {
       "name": "Application 1 menu, Submenu 1",
         {"name": "Application 1 menu, Submenu 1, Item 1", "action": "act11.sh"},
         {"name": "Application 1 menu, Submenu 1, Item 2", "action": "act12.sh"}
       ]
     }
  ]
}

The two templates look almost the same, but a small difference is of great import.
Template 2 (mis)uses the first "name" as a structural element to insert a
submenu - the Application menu - into the main menu.
Notice that with template 2 there is no syntactically valid way to add a single
item at the top level.

KUAL 1 (flat menu series) treats both templates indistinctly, because all menu
items are inserted at the top menu level anyway.

The upcoming KUAL 2 (nestable menu series) ignores all top-level keys but "items".
So it effectively interprets the second template as it interprets the first one.
In KUAL 2, "Application 1 menu, Item 1" displays as a single, top-level menu
entry, just like "Main menu, Item 1".

References
----------

[8] Yifan Lu's original graphical menu for the Kindle
    https://github.com/yifanlu/KindleLauncher/blob/master/src/com/yifanlu/Kindle/JSONMenu.java

EDIT: good catch BTW!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #703
twobob

Yay me!

Thanks man. Yeah, Perhaps "FLAT" and "NESTED" then for the naming would be more apt.

I will refrain from "making" "example" files in the future without ample coffee and lots of proofreading, hell I might even test them

Oh and thanks to KNC1 for catching my crappy example too
Old 04-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #704
twobob

Doing some due diligence on the 0.5 branch I figured I would post here as pictures may help.

Here are the screenies of the KUAL config string errors reports thing.

# Stop following links when looking for json files
KUAL_nofollow="true"
KUAL_nofollow="false"

^-- Wasn't 100% sure how to test this. I am assuming recursive folders could/not contain config files. Will revisit.

# Hide the status line and re-routes status messages to the trail line
#KUAL_no_show_status="true"

Really liked this option and it appears to operate as expected : )

KUAL_show_KUAL_buttons="1 2"
KUAL_show_KUAL_buttons="2 1"

^-- Working to hide kual buttons.
Nice. Order of incidence does not matter. Nor affects button order.
Hides Nicely (picture 1)

However, as shown in picture 1 any value whatsoever (other than commented out no-value default) causes the new logging button to not appear. Unsure if that is by design. "No value" shows all function options.
(picture 2)

Further testing revealed that the Sort Menu 123 was not actually causing the sorting to change. Rather than replacing the
#KUAL_options="-s=ABC"
with
#KUAL_options="-s=123"

the values were in fact concatenating at the end thusly
#KUAL_options="-s=ABC -s=123 -s=123 -s=123"

# Entries per page - default 10 (KT/PW), 5 (other kindles)
#KUAL_page_size="10"
KUAL_page_size="8"
KUAL_page_size="15"

This appeared to work nicely initially: The counts were indicated in the relevant readout area and buttons counts matched requests.

(pictures 3, 4, 5) 10, 15 and 8 button counts respectively.

However... And I am still not 100% on why.

The KUAL buttons "Replace Store Button" and "Sort Menu Button" now both error with the errors shown (pictures 6, 7, 8) as you can see I attempted to remove the custom button count and it no longer appears linked to the custom button value but this could be what caused it (I did this directly before noting the now borked buttons)

Note that I was testing SORT MENU above without the "string" error.
(The concat error was exhibiting at that time in it's stead)
I also tried several variation of:
#KUAL_options="-s=ABC"
KUAL_options="-s=ABC"
KUAL_options="-s=123"

which had no effect on the error.

I then totally deleted the KUAL.cfg file and tried the SORT 123 option again.

which worked properly and produced

Quote:
# KUAL.cfg - created on Sat Dec 1 04:22:49 UTC 2012
KUAL_options="-s=123"
finally showing me the Sort Menu ABC button as expected.
(picture 9)

Thus I conclude the error lies somewhere in the cfg parser itself.

This also fixed the STORE TOGGLE button.
the report was a little "Low" on the readout (picture 10)

Hope this helps.

I did have a dig around in..
https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/kindlela...e.sh?at=master

To see if I could spot anything obvious. After 3 hours of staring at it I realised I would need another 50 or so hours of staring at it and started this post

EDIT: I attached the "not worky show errors" KUAL.cfg but damned if I can see what is wrong with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_413.png
Views:	264
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	104131   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_414.png
Views:	284
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	104132   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_416.png
Views:	273
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	104133   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_417.png
Views:	448
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	104134   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_415.png
Views:	309
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	104135   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_406.png
Views:	400
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	104136   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_400.png
Views:	412
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	104137   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_403.png
Views:	273
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	104138   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_411.png
Views:	344
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	104139   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_412.png
Views:	311
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	104140  
Attached Files
File Type: zip KUAL-not-worky.cfg.zip (491 Bytes, 178 views)

Last edited by twobob; 04-10-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #705
twobob

Original versus dead.

[root@kindle extensions]# diff KUAL.cfg KUAL.cfg.dead
Quote:
--- KUAL.cfg
+++ KUAL.cfg.dead
@@ -1,7 +1,7 @@
# Sample KUAL.cfg - place this file in your extensions folder

# Entries per page - default 10 (KT/PW), 5 (other kindles)
-#KUAL_page_size="14"
+#KUAL_page_size="8"

# KUAL menu buttons. Set:
# KUAL_show_KUAL_buttons="0" to hide all menu buttons
@@ -11,7 +11,7 @@
# 1: replace/restore Store button with KUAL
# 2: change KUAL sort order (double button)
# 99: quit KUAL
-#KUAL_show_KUAL_buttons="1 2 99"
+#KUAL_show_KUAL_buttons="1 2"

# Stop following links when looking for json files
#KUAL_nofollow="true"
Seems like almost nothing?

EDIT: I mangled around for a while trying to break it by hand...
I am guessing something invisible must be being shoved in there...?

Unsure.

Last edited by twobob; 04-09-2013 at 11:40 PM.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified