Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #61
Krystl
Connoisseur
Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-t1
boy, I must have been a teacher's nightmare. That rule would have never worked for me and illicted a major tantrum. I was WAY above my reading level in Kindergarten and it just got worse. Yes, I was the child who honestly believed for a year that scissors was a synonym for [sizzers] and pronounced [skizers]. So what? It's cute, now, right?

Children's books were too boring as I wanted some plot to go with the words. I would have lost all faith in reading by following that rule and being "hemmed in" by artificial walls with "baby books". My very first book was.... Little House in the Big Woods (when I was "sent to my room" at a tender age for a minor infraction).

If I didn't know the word, I was the child who NEVER looked anything up and learned purely by context. You couldn't get me to use a dictionary (would disrupt the fun); I learned to look things up in dictionaries as a game separate of reading. I had read my way through all the children's books in three libraries by third grade and my poor mom was desperate for some help from teachers to direct my reading. I didn't get any--so I read War and Peace instead, just because I was told I couldn't. I did not understand a third of what I read (ummm advanced English, French, Russian), but I loved reading it for what it was.

Fast forward to teaching fellow students how to use a dictionary to look up words (I am good at it) but not using them myself despite trying (my New Year's resolution every school year--lasted about 1 paragraph and I was too tired to continue looking up every other word so I stopped and just read). I taught myself to read 5 languages without rules and dictionaries (they were on my desk to look intelligent). I was not the fastest learner, but man am I stubborn!

When forced to "learn to read right" (with dictionary in tow) in my masters classes, I lost all love of reading and spent quite a while afterwards not opening a single book. I was just "booked out". I was educated out of loving to read for not "following the rules". Sigh.

Rules were meant to be broken....

(And I am back to loving to read...)
Krystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:50 AM   #62
John Barlow
John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Anyone know what Pugnacious means?
Yes.

But it's an interesting point. A writer will probably going to have a wider vocabulary than the average, given that writing is about engaging with the language on quite an intimate and intense level (I reckon lawyers prob. also have wide vocabs in general). So, do you assume that the reader has a similarly wide range, or do you self-edit? Is it 'dumbing down' to reduce your own normal vocab when writing, say, a 'popular' genre?
John Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #63
dbh2ppa
dbh2ppa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
New rule.

Pick a book, and read the first two or three pages. Put one finger up for every word you can't pronounce or don't know the meaning of. If you haven't put up 5 or more fingers, the book is probably too easy, walk away.
dbh2ppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #64
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh2ppa View Post
New rule.

Pick a book, and read the first two or three pages. Put one finger up for every word you can't pronounce or don't know the meaning of. If you haven't put up 5 or more fingers, the book is probably too easy, walk away.

Or, cut your toenails and if you have enough pieces to count the number of words than you shall go further.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #65
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
What do you think about this?
Bah! I've never met a word I couldn't skip.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 05:05 AM   #66
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystl View Post
b Little House in the Big Woods ()
I loved these books, but I did miss one in the series - you've just prompted me to go looking for them!
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:09 AM   #67
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
I loved these books, but I did miss one in the series - you've just prompted me to go looking for them!
I think we have them here in the MobileRead Library.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #68
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Actually, if you've had five words you don't know or can't pronounce you're probably reading something written by a bogus "professional" using as much pointless jargon and they possibly can to convince you that they're superior and you're inferior. Consider anything written about education by an educator.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:10 AM   #69
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I think we have them here in the MobileRead Library.
Indeed you do!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #70
LuvReadin
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
they use this guideline(not rule) in my son's elementary school for kinder and 1st graders. it helps the children choose reading level appropriate books while in the library. its not a hard and fast rule and its not meant to be used/applied by anyone much older than that let alone adults
The problem is that as soon as someone introduces anything like this, especially if they seem to have any kind of authority, it immediately becomes gospel (mainly because 'rule' is much snappier than 'guideline'). It's already being peddled all over the internet by people supposedly involved in 'education'. IMHO, it's arrant nonsense - it's giving children the idea at a very young age that if it's too 'hard', it's not worth doing.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #71
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
It's the first I've heard of this, and it seems strange to me. Isn't the whole point of reading to open up new horizons as well as expand your vocabulary? Granted, it doesn't mean that children should be reading material far too advanced for them, but it should at least help nurture their thinking and vocabulary.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #72
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
[..]it's giving children the idea at a very young age that if it's too 'hard', it's not worth doing.
All it does is give smart kids the excuse not to read any text books in school, since they do tend to try to teach new things. If such a smart kid would point that out, and all of a sudden that rule does not apply to all books, then all it teaches the kid is that certain rules are so irrelevant that adults make 'em up and break them as they go ...
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #73
Mrraow
Bookworm
Mrraow doesn't litterMrraow doesn't litter

Device: Opus
Stupid rule.

Counterargument 1: If you find a word you can't pronounce, how do you know you can't pronounce it?

Counterargument 2: Jabberwocky (Lewis Carroll)

Counterargument 3: Finnegans Wake (James Joyce)
Mrraow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:19 AM   #74
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
I think we reached an agreement. This rule is stupid.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote