Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
March 2nd Update

Hey all, it's 10am here in the eastern time zone (Sudbury, Ontario, Canada). Just had an update pushed to my Vox. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by Kboland; 03-02-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Yup, I just turned on my Vox and got the little Android character up in the status bar saying "Update available" and I'm downloading it now. Good thing I'd plugged it in this morning to top up the battery. I wish someone from Kobo had posted here what changes we should expect.

Okay, it restarted a couple of times and the final time I get a screen telling me What's New. It's just a software update. I checked for a firmware update and there isn't one.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmmm. Gingerbreak seems to not be working. USB debugging on, but nothing happening.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
nothing showing up for me in the UK

Is this just for USA/Canada at the moment?
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
David_A
David_A began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Seems like it could be USA/Canada only, just tried mine and nothing shows up
David_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_A View Post
Seems like it could be USA/Canada only, just tried mine and nothing shows up
Cheers, That makes me
Old 03-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboland View Post
Hmmmm. Gingerbreak seems to not be working. USB debugging on, but nothing happening.
Did you try removing GB and reinstalling? I seem to recall this was an issue last update (I don't know...I did not apply that update and I will not apply this one either until there is some consensus on its pluses and minuses).
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
paulsalter
Fanatic

Any noticeable big changes to things in this

Hoping for improvements in Library app (searching, filtering?)
Old 03-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Removing GB and reinstalling didn't work for the beta, so probably not for the update.

First, if you have already installed Android Market, it still works properly after the update. If you want it and don't currently have it and don't really need root otherwise, root using GB and get Android Market using Danifunker's app before updating.

Second, if you still want root after the update, you can do it by getting adb working for the Vox, then use SuperOneClick. I don't yet have the new update (just the beta), but after I get it, I'll give a few more pointers.

Keith
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
Kboland
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Did you try removing GB and reinstalling? I seem to recall this was an issue last update.
Tried that, but it's still just hanging on the 'thinking circle' when I press Root Device.

Oh well. Guess someone had to be the first to try the update. I'd recommend against applying it if you are indeed rooted, at least until we find out if we can root if after this new update.

As far as what's included in this update, seems they have implemented some new bookshelf themes, but no new sorting settings as far as I can see. One real Pain in the but addition seems to be a new Recommended Reading tab in the Kobo app, which seems to be as badly implemented as the Kobo Touch one, as all but one of my recommendations are in German (all my books are in english). Really Kobo, this was a Priority?

Cheers

Last edited by Kboland; 03-02-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Yes, it's a CAN/US update I presume.

pegasus-eng 2.3.3 GRI40 eng.
CAN.20120391.145908.53945 test-keys

Maybe the appearance has changed a bit, but I wouldn't be able to tell unless I had the old and new side by side. Mostly it's promo stuff, like book recommendations (from mining your data?) and Facebooky stuff. It didn't say anything about system bug fixes. However, I did notice that when I now tap the book I was reading in "Recent reads" in Aldiko, it opens right away. Previously, I had to hammer on it repeatedly and sometimes go to the shelf view to open it.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
Kboland
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarscadden View Post
Removing GB and reinstalling didn't work for the beta, so probably not for the update.

First, if you have already installed Android Market, it still works properly after the update.
I can confirm that reinstalling Gingerbreak isn't working to re-root after the update. I also am having trouble with the market after the update. I had it before, but now can't add my Google account either in the market or in the Sync settings tab. So not sure that the Market does work after this update.

Cheers
Old 03-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
OK, update installed, re-rooted again, everything appears OK.

To re-root, you can do it this way (on Windows Vista) (I'm deliberately not doing this simple step-by-step, as this is probably just for geeks):

- Install adb. Need platform tools and extras USB driver package. Don't know the minimum required. I installed 2.3 as well.

- Plug in Vox and let Windows attempt to find USB driver. It won't find one. Then do the following to install the driver. This was definitely the messiest step. Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Device Manager, find Kobo, update driver software, browse my computer, let me pick, have disk, point to /Program Files/Android/android-sdk/extras/google, pick Android ADB Composite Interface. May need reboot at this point.

- edit adb_usb.ini in /Users/(you)/.android to add 0x2237 as first line. (This is the Kobo device code for adb)

- run adb start-server, adb devices to ensure you have the Kobo listed. If not, one of the above steps went wrong, try again.

- download SuperOneClick and run it on Windows. It may say your Vox appears to be rooted already. Just tell it to continue. This is simple and just takes a few seconds. Unplug your Vox and reboot.

That's it!

Keith

P.S. Thanks to Brad from Kobo, James/ne0rmatrix and the SuperOneClick guys

Last edited by kcarscadden; 03-02-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: minor edits, add PS
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
Kboland
Zealot

Wow, seems they updated the Kobo mosaic widget as well, which now includes a 'Recommended Just For You" bar displaying 4 book covers. This, while slightly unwanted I'm sure not just by me, is made more agrivation by the fact that all 4 of my recommended books are in German. I neither speak German, or have any German books or books about Germany in my Library. The Kobo team must be having a grand old time rolling around in all that ad-revenue money....

Last edited by Kboland; 03-02-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #15
paulsalter
Fanatic

is it possible to save the current mosaic widget and then re install this once updated (adding it back as a 3rd party widget)

my knowledge of Android OS is virtually nil so unsure how widgets work