Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
stargate
stargate began at the beginning.

Device: none
tags wrong in mobi file opened by calibre

Hello all, this is my first post here. I have a question about opening mobi files with calibre. In particular, I have created several mobi files with the mobipocket reader and added the correct Title and Author later. The mobi reader displays this information correctly. However when I add these files to Calibre, the titles and authors are not always correct. Is there something I can do to make Calibre see them correctly? I do not want to re-edit all the files that are problematic and I really would like to use Calibre because I like its organizational system much more and because I will need to convert all my files in epub format in case I decide to use the aldiko reader on a possible future android device purchase.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
stargate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
On import, do you read your metadata from file content or from file name? (The relevant options can be found in preferences->adding books.)
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
stargate

Thanks for the quick response. The settings indicate from file contents. The file names do not have any of this information
Old 02-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Okay, I think we need more details on "not always correct". Examples would be especially nice.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
stargate

For example I have a file with filename "$16,949.mobi". The tags shown in mobipocket are Title:"$16,949" and the Author:"Larry Niven".
When I add the file in Calibre the author becomes "harry" and the title stays correct. In another file I get the title to display the author and the author shows as unknown. In another file I get everything correct. I another I get the title correct and the author gets a name of another author from other books. If it helps, these are similar errors that I got when I was converting the books from text to mobi with the mobi reader. Sometimes after importing a book I would get for example the name harry as the author, but I have corrected all the books one by one in mobi reader. Now it seems as if Calibre displays the original tag data and not the corrected ones.
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
Manichean
Wizard

Are you sure the Mobipocket Reader wrote the new tags to the file? Can you verify that the tags are correct by using another ebook reader? Try opening them in the Calibre ebook viewer (you should be able to access it through Calibre's program group) and verify that the tags are, indeed, correct.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
stargate

I have tried the Calibre reader and it shows the same mistake. However I can not know if the data are written IN the file. The mobi reader shows it correctly. I have tried deleting the additional .mbp file the mobi reader creates but it still shows the correct data so I am assuming that the information is written in the file. I do not know it it is written in a strange way so that Calibre can not read it. It also seems strange that this does not happen to all the books but to most of them.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
Manichean
Wizard

If the Calibre reader reads the faulty metadata, my personal guess would be that the Mobipocket Reader hasn't updated the metadata, but instead has written the correct information into some database of its own (like Calibre would do, as well). In that case, there's no way for Calibre to know the correct metadata.
Or, to say it in a more direct way: Calibre seems to read what's inside the files. You need to find out how to change what's inside, though I'd suggest just doing it in Calibre.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
stargate

Thanks for your time. I will try to investigate the mobi reader program. If what you say is correct, and it seems very logical, I will try to see if the mobi reader can embed the information on the files, otherwise I'm doomed. I will be editing files till the summer