Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kobo
Is it necessary to authorize my Kobo

Okay, here is probably a foolish question...

I just got a new Kobo WiFi - a replacement for a previous one.
I also have an original Kobo and a Sony 650.

I mostly buy from Kobobooks, download the file from there and open with ADE.
Then I add the book through Calibre and send to device.
I don't use the Kobo desktop at all.

All my books are DRM-free and saved on my secondary hard drive.
My question is this: Do I still need to authorize my Kobo with ADE?
I guess I don't really understand ADE's role in all this.
If I don't have any DRM-ed books do I still need ADE's approval of my hardware?
Are there advantages to ADE that I'm not understanding?

And now I have a secondary question.
Is there any reason to launch the Kobo desktop when I first plug in the new Kobo?
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Well if you want to use the library you will have to authorize it. But if you have ADE and a Kobo why wouldn't you authorize? It won't do anything to your Kobo.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
And now I have a secondary question.
Is there any reason to launch the Kobo desktop when I first plug in the new Kobo?
the way you're doing things, Not really...
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #4
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Thanks Psyke.

Quote:
Well if you want to use the library you will have to authorize it. But if you have ADE and a Kobo why wouldn't you authorize? It won't do anything to your Kobo.
Ah yes, I had forgotten about Library books.
Thanks.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
The only negative of authorizing would be that it uses up one of your six ADE authorizations.

That said, there is no need to authorize the device for use with unencrypted books and pdfs.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Joyful
Connoisseur

Yes, been there done that.
I'm on my second set of authorizations now. It's easy to burn through them if doing factory resets in an attempt to correct a misbehaving device.

I had bad luck with 2 previous WiFi Kobos and bought myself a Sony. But as neat as some of the features are on the Sony, I absolutely love the Kobo! So I'm more than willing to hang in there with it.

Sameer, I just wanted to say how much I appreciate that Kobo staff check in here to answer questions.
It makes up for the less than stellar CS I've experienced online but I've read on mobileread that you're addressing those issues.

If you have time, could you answer a question for me that CS never did address?

My 2 previous WiFi Kobos and my original Kobo did multiple page turns. Before Christmas I exchanged my latest Kobo, which wasn't functioning, and got a white one. That one did not do multiple page turns, which I assumed was abnormal behaviour based on my 3 previous Kobos.

So I wrote to Kobo CS and asked why. I also asked why the button had such a loud click - much louder than any of my other ones. I never did get an answer in spite of re-phrasing the question and getting responses from 3 different CS reps. The level 2 tier staffer told me to update the software to fix the issues.
I have since exchanged that white one for a black one,( which Chapters promised me I could do because when I bought it they were out of stock in black and not expecting any in until late Jan.). This black one doesn't do multiple page turns either. But the D-button is much quieter so I'm happy about that.
So my question is - which is normal , one page turn or multiple?
I have software version 1.7.4.

Joyful
Old 02-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
I'm on my second set of authorizations now. It's easy to burn through them if doing factory resets in an attempt to correct a misbehaving device.

I had bad luck with 2 previous WiFi Kobos and bought myself a Sony. But as neat as some of the features are on the Sony, I absolutely love the Kobo! So I'm more than willing to hang in there with it.

Sameer, I just wanted to say how much I appreciate that Kobo staff check in here to answer questions.
It makes up for the less than stellar CS I've experienced online but I've read on mobileread that you're addressing those issues.

My 2 previous WiFi Kobos and my original Kobo did multiple page turns. Before Christmas I exchanged my latest Kobo, which wasn't functioning, and got a white one. That one did not do multiple page turns, which I assumed was abnormal behaviour based on my 3 previous Kobos.

So I wrote to Kobo CS and asked why. I also asked why the button had such a loud click - much louder than any of my other ones. I never did get an answer in spite of re-phrasing the question and getting responses from 3 different CS reps. The level 2 tier staffer told me to update the software to fix the issues.
I have since exchanged that white one for a black one,( which Chapters promised me I could do because when I bought it they were out of stock in black and not expecting any in until late Jan.). This black one doesn't do multiple page turns either. But the D-button is much quieter so I'm happy about that.

Joyful

This seems to have been because of a change they had made in the current firmware over the original release. I had liked the fact that I didn't have to wait for the page to refresh before I could hit next again (I believe there was a buffer so that you could hit next 8 times). I hope it does return with a future firware update.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Joyful
Hi Joyful. We purposefully removed buffering of keystrokes in many places in the firmware including page-turning. I believe this was an issue when multiple clicks/presses were unintentional leading to a frustrating experience.

Just curious, what were you using multiple page-turns for? I think this is something that may be alleviated by the upcoming Go-to page feature.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:12 AM   #9
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hi Joyful. We purposefully removed buffering of keystrokes in many places in the firmware including page-turning. I believe this was an issue when multiple clicks/presses were unintentional leading to a frustrating experience.

Just curious, what were you using multiple page-turns for? I think this is something that may be alleviated by the upcoming Go-to page feature.
Well I used to use multiple page turns when I wanted to quickly turn multiple pages!
Sorry I couldn't help that - rather childish of me but it is Friday afternoon and I'm in a cheeky mood...
Sometimes when rereading a book or going back to a previous chapter to check something you need to quickly turn several pages without actually reading any of the pages - especially if there are long chapters. The time it takes waiting for each individual page to refresh is wasted if you don't intend to read that page.
Of course a GO TO feature would be wonderful and would negate the need to do this. I'm thrilled to read it described as an upcoming feature. I hope you can deliver this one soon.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:54 AM   #10
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
the upcoming Go-to page feature.
YAY ...Can we consider this an "official" statement? Will the original Kobo be included in this upgrade?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Sameer, you're right with the multi-press frustration with the original Kobo, but I think the wifi is responsive enough that it would work fine. Where I'd like it is in a newspaper when you go "back to article list" from an individual article it always goes back to the first page of article list so if you're reading an article on the 3rd or 4th or 5th page of articles it would be nice to be able to multi-press to get back there.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
YAY ...Can we consider this an "official" statement? Will the original Kobo be included in this upgrade?
Can't say exactly when it'll be out I'm afraid.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Well I used to use multiple page turns when I wanted to quickly turn multiple pages!
Sorry I couldn't help that - rather childish of me but it is Friday afternoon and I'm in a cheeky mood...
Deserved that. Thanks.

Quote:
Sometimes when rereading a book or going back to a previous chapter to check something you need to quickly turn several pages without actually reading any of the pages - especially if there are long chapters. The time it takes waiting for each individual page to refresh is wasted if you don't intend to read that page.
Of course a GO TO feature would be wonderful and would negate the need to do this. I'm thrilled to read it described as an upcoming feature. I hope you can deliver this one soon.
Me too! I promise the dev team will only be taking breaks for the most important of interruptions, such as the prospect of donuts, coffee, or remote-control helicopters.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I am tempted to place an embargo on sales of batteries to the Kobo headquarters!

And Timmies .... Maybe we can save time and organize fans to deliver Timmies and Timbits to the office!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #15
Joyful
Connoisseur

Thanks, Sameer, for the response. It's nice to finally get a definitive answer,instead of being told by CS that the Kobo doesn't do multiple page turns, like I'm making it up or I'm mistaken.

Quote:
Well I used to use multiple page turns when I wanted to quickly turn multiple pages.
Well....yes.

I have many docs that don't have a TOC and I often need to go back and re-read something. I don't always remember what page it's on so Go To Page might or might not be helpful. I suppose that would depend, in part, on how many screens it would take to get to the GoTo feature. The greater the number of clicks, the less valuable it will be.

Even with a TOC it's faster to turn back or forward with multiple page turns than calling up the TOC, loading the chapter and then single page turning to where in the chapter you need to be.

For me multiple page turn capability has many more advantages than disadvantages (in fact it had no disadvantages for me!) and I'd love to see it make a re-appearance! Even more so than Go To.

Joyful