Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
Peter Swallow
Peter Swallow began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Combine Calibre libaries

I have three calibre libraries.

The first was just playing and looking at ebooks I had, and sorting and converting them to .mobi format.
The second was converting .text, html, pdf and .rtf files I have.
And the third is sorting out .lit files in to calibre (title + full name) format rather than surname, firstname and title of the .lit files. I also added covers and metadata, etc. ( Isn't Amazon wonderful)

Anyway my question is, can I combine them into one library, without losing the covers & metadata etc?
I would hate to have to do that work again.
I have looked around this Forum, and have some hints about merge/add files but being a nooby, I am not sure what all the options actually do.

Thanks for any help.

Oh! I am using the latest Calibre on an iMac, if that helps.
Peter Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Ooh, I just now completed a similar project with 3 Calibre libraries! I used the Copy to library function, which I did not even know existed till today. If you don't see the Copy to library button on your toolbar, you can add it by going to Preferences, Customize the Toolbar. It'll be on the left (Available Actions); just add it to Current Actions. Then, just choose the book(s) you want to copy, click the copy button and choose the library you want to copy the books to and, voila, it's done. I've been wanting to do this for ages but couldn't figure out how till today.

In case I'm not too articulate, I hope someone else will be able to help you

(Btw, I'm using a PC so I don't know how it'll work for you)
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
Peter Swallow
Peter Swallow began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I used the Copy to library function, which I did not even know existed till today. If you don't see the Copy to library button on your toolbar, you can add it by going to Preferences, Customize the Toolbar. It'll be on the left (Available Actions); just add it to Current Actions. Then, just choose the book(s) you want to copy, click the copy button and choose the library you want to copy the books to and, voila, it's done.
Thanks, I've just added that option to the toolbar and I'll give it a try.
Peter Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Swallow View Post
Thanks, I've just added that option to the toolbar and I'll give it a try.
It's great being able to customize the toolbar, but so others don't get the wrong idea the copy to library feature is already available via the right click menus. After selecting the books you want to copy from one library to another all you have to do is right click and navigate to copy to library menu option.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
It's great being able to customize the toolbar, but so others don't get the wrong idea the copy to library feature is already available via the right click menus. After selecting the books you want to copy from one library to another all you have to do is right click and navigate to copy to library menu option.
He may want to keep in mind that the automerge option applies to Copy to Library with respect to books with similar author/titles to books in the destination library. Turning it off ensures that all books are copied over - at the expense of creating duplicate records. Turning it on, ensures that duplicates are avoided, at the risk of leaving books in the originating library that are the same format/title and author as a book in the destination library.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert