Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
Purl5
Enthusiast
Purl5 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Connecting via USB

I wandered into BB this morning & wandered out with the 950. Love the look. Can't get it to connect for the life of me. I know my wireless security is part of the problem. That's a secondary question (i do want to figure it out but really) I just really want to have my computer SEE the reader when it's connected via USB. And it doesn't. I've connected to the Sony store -- it authorized my reader. I didn't have to do that -- it was already listed, so it must be connected somehow. but every time i put the cable into my reader i get this "charging" message & I can't seem to either "see" it from my PC computer directory or make the Sony screen come up. Very noobie question here -- but can someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? It's turned on. IT's just that as soon as I plug it in, the screen changes to "USB" with a charging battery & I can't seem to get past that.
Purl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
If you haven't already, download and install the Sony Reader Library software. The device should show up on the left side of the library screen. You might also reboot the PC and do a reset of the reader (see user's guide). Congrats and good luck. It is worth the effort getting it all figured out.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
Purl5
Enthusiast

I've downloaded & installed the Sony Reader Software to my PC. Somehow I've even managed to authorize my 950 on Sony.

I think I'm operating under some sort of basic misunderstanding. Since the 650 & 350 don't have wireless, I'm ASSUMING that the 950 can connect to my PC via USB. I just now read in the manual "the reader cannot be operated when connected to a computer via USB".

OH.

So, if I haven't yet figured out how to connect to my wireless, is there ANY other method to connect to my computer? How do I transfer files from my PC to my PRS 950 without wireless? Or is that the only way?

I know I'll get this, it's just that this initial connection part is always a pain.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Purl5
Enthusiast

ok, i rebooted & um, I think it works. I have NO idea what happened but I just downloaded Austen's Emma from Google Books. So very cool.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
You *should* be able to "see" your Sony in My Computer. You won't be able to use the device while it is connected to your computer via usb, though. You will need to use your PC to transfer books onto the device or onto an SD card plugged into the device (I store all my books on an SD card rather than the device's internal memory); rather than use the device to get books FROM the PC, you use the PC to put books ON the device... if that makes any sense at all. I hope I haven't just confused you further...
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
Purl5
Enthusiast

Hum. I have apparently accessed the Sony store -- but still can't access my computer. Is wireless the only answer? Or should there be another way to do that?
Old 11-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've never been able to get my 950 to connect with my Wondows 7 64-bit desktop. My 350 connects fine. The 950 will connect to my Windows XP netbook though. All I got from Sony CS was disrespect after they found out I bought it at Best Buy. Sony CS can bleep themselves as far as I'm concerned. They are the most worthless CS I've ever dealt with except for AT&T of course.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
Purl5
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=phenomshel;1237685]You *should* be able to "see" your Sony in My Computer.

This is via the USB cable, right? Strange. I plug it in and get that noise that sounds like my computer recognizes a new device. But when I go to My Computer, I only see my C: drive & my external drive, but no additional devices & certainly not my reader. Sigh. So near & yet so far. [insert dramatic emoticon here]
Old 11-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
Purl5
Enthusiast

I've never been able to get my 950 to connect with my Wondows 7 64-bit desktop. My 350 connects fine. The 950 will connect to my Windows XP netbook though. All I got from Sony CS was disrespect after they found out I bought it at Best Buy.

So you think it's a Windows 7 thing? I've got Vista on my laptop. If THAT is what it is, well -- I can try that. I'm not about to try contacting Sony after all I've heard.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purl5 View Post
I'm not about to try contacting Sony after all I've heard.
P, Don't listen to people on this!

Sony phone-in customer service can likely help you solve the problem just like they have always done with me for my 505s and 950.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
Purl5
Enthusiast

Well, I may try Sony at some point, but I will say that my PRS-950 does definitely have an affinity for Vista. Windows 7? Not so much. I'm on my way. Thanks for mentioning that, Jack.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I got Windows 7, enterprise on a desktop and home premium on my laptop. Both 32-bit. My 950 connects with no problems.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #13
Purl5
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I got Windows 7, enterprise on a desktop and home premium on my laptop. Both 32-bit. My 950 connects with no problems.
That certainly gives me hope that I'll figure it out eventually. Wonder if it has anything to do with the drivers? When I connected it to my desktop (Windows 7) -- it looked for drivers & gave up. Vista found drivers, installed them & voila!

So if anyone knows how to locate the right drivers, maybe that would do it. I love when my computer does it for me, but obviously it needs a helping hand now & again.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #14
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Meanwhile ... what do you think of the ability to read your books? Is it what you expected from all the comments here?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #15
Purl5
Enthusiast

The forum has been very helpful & accurate.

I love the Sony. I've still got to play with it a lot more, but the readability is excellent. I love that I can find free books on Google and the Overdrive library site I've access to. I've got one or two books I'm planning to buy, but having just had my Internet card closed out due to fraudulent activity, I'm waiting for a new on to do that.

Haven't accessed gmail as yet. I'll be playing with it a lot this weekend.

The Sony store is terrifically sluggish (as I've read) on the reader. Once I find a book I want, it downloads in a flash though and that is really nifty.