Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
domromer
Enthusiast
domromer began at the beginning.

Device: Something that works well with libraries.
Adobe PDF on kobo reader?

I downloaded some adobe PDF books from my local library. They seem kind of screwy.

1. They didn't go into my book section they went right into documents. I assume that's the way it's supposed to happen?

2. Is there a way to get these PDF books out of the adobe digita editions software and into calibre? Is it worth converting into a epub format?

3. My library has books in epub, adobe pdf book and mobi pocket book. I've tried epub and it works fine, pdf is a bit funy. Will the mobi packet format work along side the epub format on my kobo?

Thanks in advance for the help.
domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Hi Domromer,

Answers:
1 - correct, PDF's will always go into the documents
2 - If they have DRM, which library books usually have, the short answer is no.
3 - Mobi won't work on the Kobo.

cheers!
Steph S.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
domromer
Enthusiast
domromer began at the beginning.

Device: Something that works well with libraries.
Thanks for the quick answers. The PDF book format doesn't seem great on the kobo..it's was either postage stamp size at 100% or huge at anything past that and required tons of scrolling. Guess I'll stick with epub.
domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
ePub is probably your best choice, if you have one, as most e-readers screens are too small for native PDF's. That being said, what I've usually done with PDF's if I can't convert them to ePub is to turn it on it's side and enlarge just enough to fill the screen, that way I only have to scroll down. Not the best setup, but it works.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:00 AM   #5
SageTracey
Enthusiast
SageTracey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I read lots of PDFs on my Kobo by setting the document to landscape and zooming to fill the new page width. It takes several button pushes to advance a page but I have become used to it and now enjoy reading PDFs that way.

(except for this week while my Kobo is sick - but's that another thread.)
SageTracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert