Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you a member of LibraryThing?
Yes....I'm an author and its a way to get my books "out there" 3 2.24%
Yes, I like the reviews/recommendations 18 13.43%
Yes, I like the social networking aspect 9 6.72%
Yes, I like the way I can manage my books there 31 23.13%
Yes, I'm interested in what other people are reading 15 11.19%
Yes, I like to post reviews on what I've read there 8 5.97%
No, never heard of the place 69 51.49%
I prefer Goodreads because (please post reason) 25 18.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #16
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
I have a paid membership at LibraryThing. I like it a lot. The interface is ugly compared to similar sites and its social networking features are so-so, but its strength lies in its powerful book cataloguing features. Very flexible and customisable when it comes to dealing with metadata or filtering through one's books in their library.

I also like LibraryThing because:

1) the developers are active and fairly involved in the community;

2) it's well integrated with a book-swapping site I use, BookMooch.

Haven't dabbled much in GoodReads so far, but what I've seen I've liked. GoodReads seems to be more of a 'social networking for readers' website. I avoid Shelfari (yet another book cataloguing/social networking site) out of suspicion of past distasteful marketing practices.

Last edited by viviena; 09-28-2010 at 12:09 PM.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #17
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I didn't know that dial up modem was still in use in the U.S. Course I imagine it probably depends on where you are too. I'm in town whereas I imagine if I were out in the country it might still be dial up. I get what you're saying though jgaiser. Even on DSL the more graphics etc. are on a site the slower the page loads (at least sometimes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Interesting comments. Maybe because it was the first book cataloging site I found, but I've not found it hard to navigate and because most of my online time is on a dialup modem at about 22K baud, the fancier the website, the less I'm interested.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #18
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I started there, and am still active in a couple of forums, but by the time I started hitting their free book limit, I'd switched to Goodreads, which I find less ... clunky (for lack of a better term).
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #19
mandahill
Either reading or writing
mandahill began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650
I've been using LibraryThing for three years and am being quite diligent about adding my books there as I finish them. I've also recently joined Goodreads and automatically imported all my LibraryThing books there and am now updating both. Not sure how long I'll want to keep both going, though - and at the moment I feel more comfortable with LibraryThing, but that's probably because it's more familiar.

Amanda
mandahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Never heard of librarything. I'm currently using the Books feature of LivingSocial on Facebook. I wish there was an easy way to transfer my books from LivingSocial to Goodreads.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #21
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I don't remember why I originally picked Goodreads over LibraryThing, but I remember that I checked them both out (based on recommendations from here) and eventually signed up with Goodreads.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #22
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'm the same way about Shelfari. I picked it over GoodReads and LibraryThing and now I don't remember why. I did try them all out for awhile though.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #23
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Why I like goodreads better: I found it first. I'd never heard of LT until now, and I only have time to hang out on one book-lover's site.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #24
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I never thought to look for an Android app. Found MyBookDroid and currently syncing my Goodreads library to my Android phone.
Yes, it's a great app. I use it to organize my various bookshelves and add books to Goodreads using the barcode scanner.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #25
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I use GoodReads, the site design is just so much better than LibraryThing. I joined GoodReads and LibraryThing at the same time and I found GoodReads easier to understand. The UI was cleaner and easier to import books and had a great search engine. Also what I really liked about the site was I could create my own book, if it did not exist in the database.

And probably the feature I like the most is being able to organize your books. They both probably have this feature but it was easier to pick up on goodreads
GoodReads also continues to get better and better, while LibraryThing does not really improve much.
=X=

Last edited by =X=; 09-29-2010 at 09:20 AM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #26
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 2
Overall I just prefer the way goodreads works but I am a member of both sites. Each site has a different feel and emphasis and they catalog books in a different way. I think GR is much more author-friendly and it is easier for readers to connect with authors there as well (IMO). I think it is also much easier to use and navigate in general. It is also easier to see what my "friends" are reading and reviewing. I can also see blog entries for authors I'm following all in one place.

I do like the early reviewer/member giveaway program on LT better than GR's program. Indie authors should take more advantage of these programs to promote their work and get reviews!!

The one thing I do like about LT is no ads!!! Goodreads is littered with them and many of them autoexpand and autotalk. They are not allowed but they are always getting through the ad server. GR just says they can't do much about it except block them when reported. yeah, whatever...
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #27
Klim Chugunkin
Enthusiast
Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: V3+, PRS-350
Never heard of it. Now I did. What's the point?
Klim Chugunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #28
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klim Chugunkin View Post
Never heard of it. Now I did. What's the point?
Now there you go.. A worthwhile answer if there ever was one...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:18 AM   #29
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Oops. I just voted and then realized that I just joined LibraryThing about a week ago.

I joined because of their automatic book suggester.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:08 AM   #30
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I use LT to keep track of what I've read and when. I also use it to store books I want to read in the future. Haven't looked at Goodread, registered at LT after hearing about it here at MR.

Last edited by thinkpad; 09-29-2010 at 03:12 AM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote