Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I recommend Robin Hobbs. She writes very good character based fantasy. I've read Assassin's Apprentice and Ship of Magic and I am just starting Royal Assassin. The normal suggestest reading order is the published order because they all take place in the same world. Just not all linked together.

Farseer
1. Assassin's Apprentice (1995)
2. Royal Assassin (1996)
3. Assassin's Quest (1997)

Liveship Traders
1. Ship of Magic (1998)
2. The Mad Ship (1999)
3. Ship of Destiny (2000)

Tawny Man
1. Fool's Errand (2001)
2. The Golden Fool (2002)
3. Fool's Fate (2003)

Soldier Son
1. Shaman's Crossing (2005)
2. Forest Mage (2006)
3. Renegade's Magic (2007)

Rain Wild Chronicles
1. The Dragon Keeper (2009)
2. Dragon Haven (2010)

These are not for everyone, but I'll certainly second that. Robin Hobbs builds up her novels slowly and methodically, and with artistry. Her books are delicious reads.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #17
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik is a good character driven series.
Definitely fantasy and very entertaining!
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #18
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
I'd recommend John Varley. My personal favorites are his novels set on Gaea - Titan, Wizard and Demon. His characters are always very interesting.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #19
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
The Lost Fleet series - Jack Campbell
Vatta's War - Elizabeth Moon
Kris Longknife series - Mike Shepherd
Honor Harrington - David Weber

The above are all good reads with strong central characters, though more military SF.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #20
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Perhaps Anathem by Neal Stephenson?
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #21
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'll toss out an oldy-but-goody character driven SF novel. Check out Samuel R Delany's Nova. I thought it had very strong characterizations established with a minimum of prose and the plot was absolutely character-driven.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #22
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Steven Brust's writings are character-driven and have interesting things to say about the characters and humanity.

Susan Cooper's _The Dark is Rising_ pentalogy is quite good w/ interesting character developments and some surprising things dependent on human decisions.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblinWriter View Post
but Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan books (SF) are among my favorites,

Any reading suggestions?
Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's Liaden books.
http://www.webscription.net/c-65-lia...er-miller.aspx

They're all available from webscription.net. You could start with Crystal Soldier which is the first of two (very long ago) prequel books or perhaps the first published book, Agent of Change or the first of the main sequences, Local Custom or perhaps a nice stand-alone YA that happens between the prequel and the main sequences, Balance of Trade

All are good!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #24
bxrLvr
Connoisseur
bxrLvr doesn't litterbxrLvr doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
For character driven, I'd give The Dresden Files (Urban Fantasy) or EE Knight's Vampire Earth (SF) a shot.
just noticed that the first book in the EE Knight's Vampire Earth series is only $2 for the kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/Way-of-The-Wol...=AG56TWVU5XWC2
bxrLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #25
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's Liaden books.
http://www.webscription.net/c-65-lia...er-miller.aspx

They're all available from webscription.net. You could start with Crystal Soldier which is the first of two (very long ago) prequel books or perhaps the first published book, Agent of Change or the first of the main sequences, Local Custom or perhaps a nice stand-alone YA that happens between the prequel and the main sequences, Balance of Trade

All are good!
I do agree with that. They are good. I am going to buy the next book in the series from Baen this month.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #26
Mr.Hughes
Mr.Hughes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 & IPhone & Dell Mini 10v (running snow leopard))
id deffinatly try EE Knight's Vampire Earth, once i started the series i couldnt put it down.
Mr.Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #27
Heather Parker
Nameless Being

I love anything by John Wyndham, as you really care about the main characters in his books. They are easy to identify with, and you can 'see' their world though his writing.

(I don't include the recent televised adaptation of The Day of The Triffids, produced by the BBC in the UK. I don't know if anyone else saw this, but it failed to capture the magic of Wyndham for me. It also raises the age old question - do writers have the right to make drastic changes to a classic novel?)
Old 01-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #28
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Parker View Post
I love anything by John Wyndham, ...I don't include the recent televised adaptation of The Day of The Triffids, produced by the BBC in the UK. I don't know if anyone else saw this, but it failed to capture the magic of Wyndham for me.
Yep, I felt that too. But if it encourages viewers to go and find the book, imagine the treat that's in store for them.

'The Midwich Cuckoos' is another good one, (I've been wondering recently if the isolation of Midwich village might have partially inspired 'Under the Dome').
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
[QUOTE=sabredog;723515Honor Harrington - David Weber

The above are all good reads with strong central characters, though more military SF.[/QUOTE]
I started reading the Honor Harrington series and read On Basilisk Station before I stopped and decided to read the entire Honoreverse universe in time-line order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorve...nal_chronology
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
These are not for everyone, but I'll certainly second that. Robin Hobbs builds up her novels slowly and methodically, and with artistry. Her books are delicious reads.

Don
I'm almost done with Royal Assassin and I've been told that Assassin's Quest is the best of the Farseer Trilogy. So I am definately looking forward tot hat one after I read a few other books (mostly short stories).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote