Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-08-2013, 01:17 AM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Hi Dale;

You can achieve locking the aspect ratio and avoid white lines on the sides That is because in "preserveAspectRatio" I use the value "slice" and not "meet". As I said in a previous post, since the aspect ratio is preserved, then just only one part of the full image is showed, in this case, the "xMid-yMin" part of it (because is what I chosen); the larger the screen, the larger the portion of the image shown. I attach a book with a cover of 520 x 850 pixels; that cover is inside a SVG wrapper that in ADE works perfectly. While you resize the ADE GUI, automatically the cover is resized so the image fills the entire ADE window and no distortion. I want to reproduce this behavior in K4NT (and I can't )

Regards
Rubén
yes, I see but you call it cropping the image, not slicing it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
It seems that KindleGen doesn't support html title pages at all. Each time I convert an ePub that has one, KindleGen displays the the following message:

Info(prcgen):I1052: Kindle support cover images but does not support cover HTML. Hence using the cover image specified and suppressing cover HTML in content.

I usually ignore it, because I rmanually resize my covers to 600 x 800 before I add them to the epub.

Do you get the same message?
Doitsu:

It's trying to tell you to remove the cover.html file from the ePUB prior to putting it through KindleGen/Previewer to create the MOBI file. As the cover.html file is not supported, then, no, there isn't any way to use SVG for the cover. SVG is now supported for other images in the files, certainly for K8. That is why you are getting those error messages. Remove the cover.html file,leave the cover image file, set the metadata to reflect that the cover.jpg file (or cover.png, whatever) is the desired cover image, and your file should make properly.

This is primarily because the cover images submitted in Step 4 at the KDP supplant those in the files uploaded in Step 5. The old "product image" files (now requested at 1563x2500px) now get embedded into the mobi file created by KDP. This was implemented, along with other changes to the workflow, by Amazon, due to so many self-publishers uploading Word files that did not have cover files set correctly--so now Amazon takes it upon themselves to ensure that the cover gets created and embedded in the mobi file.

Does that help?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #18
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
It's trying to tell you to remove the cover.html file from the ePUB prior to putting it through KindleGen/Previewer to create the MOBI file. As the cover.html file is not supported, then, no, there isn't any way to use SVG for the cover.
That's exactly what I assumed. I could of course remove the cover.html file before compiling the epub with KindleGen, but since the message displayed by KindleGen is technically neither a warning nor an error message and it'll ignore the cover.html file anyway, I decided to keep in the epub as it is needed for the proper display in ADE.
(I did of course add the required cover image metadata information.)

Quote:
This is primarily because the cover images submitted in Step 4 at the KDP supplant those in the files uploaded in Step 5. The old "product image" files (now requested at 1563x2500px) now get embedded into the mobi file created by KDP. This was implemented, along with other changes to the workflow, by Amazon, due to so many self-publishers uploading Word files that did not have cover files set correctly--so now Amazon takes it upon themselves to ensure that the cover gets created and embedded in the mobi file.
Thanks! I wasn't aware of this. Does this mean that it's pointless to embed a properly referenced cover image in an epub intended for KDP because KDP'll always use the "product image" uploaded in Step 4?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #19
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That behavior sounds dreadful. The best thing to do is to make the image fit the screen with the correct aspect ratio and not some small piece of the image.
Maybe is dreadful But this time is what I need
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #20
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
yes, I see but you call it cropping the image, not slicing it.

Dale
Hi Dale;

Yes, is a kind of dynamic cropping. I used the word "slice" because that is the syntax for "preserveAspectRatio" (preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMin slice" or preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMin meet"; in this case I'm using the "slice" value). Watch this image:

Old 06-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #21
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Doitsu:

...As the cover.html file is not supported, then, no, there isn't any way to use SVG for the cover...

Hitch
So, that was the problem. Kindle doesn't support .html covers and then there is no way to use SVG (for the cover). Bad luck! Many thanks for clarifying this issue.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Doitsu:

It's trying to tell you to remove the cover.html file from the ePUB prior to putting it through KindleGen/Previewer to create the MOBI file. As the cover.html file is not supported, then, no, there isn't any way to use SVG for the cover. SVG is now supported for other images in the files, certainly for K8. That is why you are getting those error messages. Remove the cover.html file,leave the cover image file, set the metadata to reflect that the cover.jpg file (or cover.png, whatever) is the desired cover image, and your file should make properly.
In ePub 3 it is possible to use an SVG without a HTML file. Has anyone tried that for a cover or for any other image? KF8 is supposed to support ePub 3.

Dale
Old 06-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi Dale;

Yes, is a kind of dynamic cropping. I used the word "slice" because that is the syntax for "preserveAspectRatio" (preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMin slice" or preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMin meet"; in this case I'm using the "slice" value). Watch this image:

I can see where this could be useful. I think I will put this in our wiki on SVG.

Dale
Old 06-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #24
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
That's exactly what I assumed. I could of course remove the cover.html file before compiling the epub with KindleGen, but since the message displayed by KindleGen is technically neither a warning nor an error message and it'll ignore the cover.html file anyway, I decided to keep in the epub as it is needed for the proper display in ADE.
(I did of course add the required cover image metadata information.)
You can do this, but be warned, it has occasionally still resulted in the dreaded "double-cover" at Amazon.

Quote:
Thanks! I wasn't aware of this. Does this mean that it's pointless to embed a properly referenced cover image in an epub intended for KDP because KDP'll always use the "product image" uploaded in Step 4?
YES, that is exactly what happens.

Quote:
So, that was the problem. Kindle doesn't support .html covers and then there is no way to use SVG (for the cover). Bad luck! Many thanks for clarifying this issue.
You are most welcome.

Quote:
In ePub 3 it is possible to use an SVG without a HTML file. Has anyone tried that for a cover or for any other image? KF8 is supposed to support ePub 3.

Dale
Dale:

No. I have not tried that yet. It's an idea, but, as I mentioned above, what happens when Amazon supplants the existing cover image in the mobi with the cover uploaded in Step 4, at the KDP?

Hitch
Old 06-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #25
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
You can achieve locking the aspect ratio and avoid white lines on the sides That is because in "preserveAspectRatio" I use the value "slice" and not "meet". As I said in a previous post, since the aspect ratio is preserved, then just only one part of the full image is showed, in this case, the "xMid-yMin" part of it (because is what I chosen); the larger the screen, the larger the portion of the image shown. I attach a book with a cover of 520 x 850 pixels; that cover is inside a SVG wrapper that in ADE works perfectly. While you resize the ADE GUI, automatically the cover is resized so the image fills the entire ADE window and no distortion. I want to reproduce this behavior in K4NT (and I can't )
I'm not sure that "preserving aspect ratio" has much meaning when you do it by slicing off portions of the image to fit the screen!
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
I'm not sure that "preserving aspect ratio" has much meaning when you do it by slicing off portions of the image to fit the screen!
Keeping the aspect ratio of any images in the picture is important I believe and many times there is a background on the image that it doesn't hurt to crop a bit. I can see this a good solution in some cases. It all depends on the cover itself. Some covers are all text and not preserving the aspect ratio might the right thing to do for those covers. It is nice to have a choice. After all TV shows and movies chop the image all the time but changing the aspect ratio makes things fat or way to skinny.

Dale
Old 06-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I can see where this could be useful. I think I will put this in our wiki on SVG.

Dale
I can't see this as being useful. If the image is to be cropped, do it beforehand.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I can't see this as being useful. If the image is to be cropped, do it beforehand.
Yes, if all the devices you are targeting have the same aspect ratio which is unlikely to be the case. It is worth seeing if this can deal with several devices with different aspect ratios.

Dale
Old 06-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #29
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Keeping the aspect ratio of any images in the picture is important I believe and many times there is a background on the image that it doesn't hurt to crop a bit. I can see this a good solution in some cases. It all depends on the cover itself. Some covers are all text and not preserving the aspect ratio might the right thing to do for those covers. It is nice to have a choice.
And:

Quote:
Yes, if all the devices you are targeting have the same aspect ratio which is unlikely to be the case. It is worth seeing if this can deal with several devices with different aspect ratios.
Exactly Those are the reasons because I want to use an image inside a SVG wrapper for a cover.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #30
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

Exactly Those are the reasons because I want to use an image inside a SVG wrapper for a cover.
Has anyone figured out what is going to happen when the book is actually uploaded at KDP and the Cover is overwritten?

Hitch