Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Run2Eat
Run2Eat began at the beginning.

Device: none
running headers

hello, all. i have a general, cross-platform issue, and i am not sure where to post. i work at a publishing house and the execs want our ebooks to have running heads to remind readers what they are reading and who wrote it. it's my understanding that running heads are a factor of the device, and that the publisher has little control; however, it's that little bit of control i'd like to know more about. for the devices which support running heads, what metadata do they access and how is it used? i'd like the answer in a nice grid, please, showing which ereaders do what... haha, just kidding. i know it's not that nice-and-neat. whatever you can do to help (including helping me move this to the correct thread) would be terrific.
Run2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Moderator Notice
Read the forum descriptions. I don't think it's hard to find out that "Feedback" is not the right place, and "Workshop" is. Moved there.

And write a meaningful title for your question. Changed it.

As far as I know, readers that support headers simply generate them themselves, and it's the same header for the whole book. All you can do is provide the right author and title in the metadata.

The ePub format supports some kind of header, but I don't know of any reader that uses it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
Run2Eat
Run2Eat began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks, Jellby. i thought that was the state of the art, just trying to be sure.

and, sorry about the misposting, really. i hang out a lot at runningahead.com and would react the same to someone misposting there. but this world is new to me and even reading the forum descriptions, i felt lost. there are quite a few forums... i didn't realize what workshop meant, although now it's pretty obvious.... i did do a search through the forum for running heads and didn't find anything. maybe i did the search incorrectly? at any rate, mea culpa -- truly -- and at least i admitted with my previous subject that i was "not sure where to post".
Run2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run2Eat View Post
thanks, Jellby. i thought that was the state of the art, just trying to be sure.
It is a reversion of the art. Open eBook the predecessor to ePub 2 did support this function in actual readers but ADE didn't so it died even though the format statement of it is still present. It is a shame that one implementation can drive a format even more than the standard itself.

My old EBookwise had support for this as does Microsoft LIT format. Both are based on Open eBook. I would hope ePub 3 reoffers this.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote