Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 11-26-2022, 04:31 PM   #496
zmix
Connoisseur
zmix began at the beginning.

Device: none
There are certain fonts that add a 'space" (or two) after an apostrophe, for example "Adobe Ming std" has this issue (in English) so that a sentence will look like this:

"I' ve noticed that when using certain fonts, It' s really difficult to read if the author' s style has a lot of contractions or possessives"

Is this addressable in the current KOReader settings?
zmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:03 PM   #497
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Are you sure it's the font and not the book? Most such characters are also available in a "full width" version for Chinese for example, as well as a right single quotation mark for Korean. They'll be wide in any font.
Frenzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2022, 08:10 AM   #498
zmix
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
Are you sure it's the font and not the book? Most such characters are also available in a "full width" version for Chinese for example, as well as a right single quotation mark for Korean. They'll be wide in any font.
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I am certain that it is not any particular book. The problem is reproducible across my entire library, which (so far) are all native English language books and it's only a few select fonts that have this additional space after an apostrophe.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:39 AM   #499
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If it's the font that for some reason decides there should be a big space there nothing can be done about it without editing the font. But since you said Adobe Ming (which is for Chinese) I do still strongly suspect a Chinese full-width character instead of a normal apostrophe.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:14 PM   #500
zmix
Connoisseur

I'm sure you're correct. Any idea where I might find an English version of that font?
It's really unique and I like the look of it - nothing like it in the selection I have in there at the moment.
Advert
Old 12-02-2022, 06:15 PM   #501
Frenzie
Wizard

I think @NiLuJe would suggest to try FontForge.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:53 AM   #502
zmix
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
I think @NiLuJe would suggest to try FontForge.
Thanks for the tip, it looks interesting, I was just looking for a repository of fonts but FontForge is a font editor, which addresses my issue - I think I should be able to edit that font to remove the space after the apostrophe, will check it out.

https://fontforge.org/en-US/
Old 12-04-2022, 06:18 AM   #503
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Such a question:
What is connection between notification popups at the top of screen and "Auto Standby" plugin?
If this plugin is off in "Plugin management", then notifications do not disappear from the screen after a couple of seconds, but hang until the next touch of the screen. Checked by changing the brightness at the left edge of screen...

Version: koreader-pocketbook-v2022.11
Attached Files
File Type: zip crash_with_auto_standby_plugin.zip (10.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: zip crash_without_auto_standby_plugin.zip (10.4 KB, 66 views)
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:52 AM   #504
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznelson View Post
Such a question:
What is connection between notification popups at the top of screen and "Auto Standby" plugin?
If this plugin is off in "Plugin management", then notifications do not disappear from the screen after a couple of seconds, but hang until the next touch of the screen. Checked by changing the brightness at the left edge of screen...

Version: koreader-pocketbook-v2022.11
If the plugin is disabled the cpu goes to sleep after 2 seconds of idle time and wakes up again when you touch the screen.

If the plugin is enabled the cpu goes to sleep after a few seconds based on a computation of the timestamp of previous touch inputs and a window frame.

When the plugin is enabled you can tweak the parameters used in the computation going to settings->device->autostandby (or similar, from memory)
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:26 AM   #505
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
pazos
And when the plugin is disabled in Settings->Device->AutoStandby, what idle options are used?
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 04:57 AM   #506
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznelson View Post
pazos
And when the plugin is disabled in Settings->Device->AutoStandby, what idle options are used?
No idle unless you press the power button. Battery drains much more.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:10 AM   #507
rjd22
rjd22 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Taking a quick look through the koreader source code, I see that the pb_event_handler() function in "base/input.c" handles a few EVT_* events. You could add some code to handle the EVT_ORIENTATION events there, getting the new orientation from the "par1" variable. These are not strictly input events, so logically they don't fit with the rest of the code in that file, but you can only have one event handler function registered with InkView, so the orientation events have to be handled there along with the other events.
Hello @rkomar, thank you again for your research. Input events for PocketBooks are now handled in the `ffi/input_pocketbook.lua`. AFAIK the code you're linking is a part that is not used for Pocketbook's in their normal state anymore (might still be used if rooted?) but someone more knowledgeable may correct me of course:

https://github.com/koreader/koreader...pocketbook.lua

I've been trying to catch the EVT_ORIENTATION events there but no joy sadly. I also tried the `IsGSensorEnabled` and `GetGSensorOrientation` methods and there seem to work nicely. Sadly I will have to poll these every few seconds to make it workable.

I would prefer to use the EVT_ORIENTATION but I need some confirmation on where you saw them published on a unrooted device. It might be that you're using a rooted device and thus have more access to the event's that are published.

In any case. If there is no unrooted access to the gsensor events I will research on how to implement the gsensor with polling in koreader without draining the battery (this is the biggest hurdle).
rjd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 05:15 PM   #508
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
You do not need root privileges to get notification of events. Do you see any events at all? There should be plenty of other events coming through. If you see other events but not EVT_ORIENTATION events, then you probably have the g-sensor disabled in the system configuration. If you don't see any events of any kind, then you have other problems. Maybe you didn't enable the code in your build, or you are in the wrong process (it looks like the events are handled in the forked child), or inkview events are not enabled from LUA,... Add some debug code to make sure that InkViewMain(pb_event_handler) is being called in your version.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 02:35 AM   #509
rjd22
rjd22 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
You do not need root privileges to get notification of events. Do you see any events at all? There should be plenty of other events coming through. If you see other events but not EVT_ORIENTATION events, then you probably have the g-sensor disabled in the system configuration. If you don't see any events of any kind, then you have other problems. Maybe you didn't enable the code in your build, or you are in the wrong process (it looks like the events are handled in the forked child), or inkview events are not enabled from LUA,... Add some debug code to make sure that InkViewMain(pb_event_handler) is being called in your version.
You can follow my work on the gsensor here: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/9873

For now it's poll based but I hope to make it event based.

I've been quite stumped on the event implementation. The gsensor is enabled and I see the system responding to the gsensor (I can see the device waking up). I do receive all button and touch events in my debug code but for some reason no orientation events. But I might be doing something wrong. I have a PocketBook InkPad Color where I'm testing on.

Would you be willing to check on your device if you can see the events in the debug logs of KoReader? To rule out device error.
rjd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:21 AM   #510
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I tried enabling the g-sensor on my 6" Color device, but I don't see any response from the device to that (apart from the power LED coming on briefly if the orientation changes). The home screen never changes orientation, nor does my pbimageviewer app receive any EVT_ORIENTATION events. So, it appears that my Color device has broken firmware with respect to the g-sensor. I never noticed before because I usually keep that feature disabled. I don't think I can test your app and get any meaningful results for you. Maybe this is a clue that your Inkpad Color is also broken in a similar way. Everything works as expected when I enable the g-sensor on my ancient PB902 device.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub, koreader, pb742, pdf, pocketbook