Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
luthar28
Enthusiast
luthar28 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Epub style question - TOC

Okay, this is a stylistic question. Epub has that TOC built in (well, you know what I mean). Generally, do you also put a non-linked TOC at the beginning of a book? Or just take that out completely and let Epub handle it?

So what I mean is the reader would scroll through this:

Cover
ISBN and Printing Info
TOC
Chapter 1
Chapter 2

Or just remove the TOC (it's 86 chapters long! Kind of a pain to scroll through) and let the internal TOC handle it?
luthar28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
A ToC that contains useful info with descriptive chapter names can sometimes be worthwhile to give the reader a general overview of the text (and it should contain links). If it's just chapter numbers then leave it out of the text and let the ncx handle it.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
luthar28
Enthusiast

Okay, now I feel really silly. I assumed that this TOC actually worked. It doesn't. I do it like this: <a href="major karnage.html#1_1">Chapter 1</a> with the other tag: <a name="#1_1">

What am I doing wrong?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Use <a href="major karnage.html#chap1_1">Chapter 1</a> ... <a id="chap1_1"/>
'name' is deprecated.
'#' is only used when referring to the fragment id.
Ids must start with a letter.
Probably best to use underscores in your filenames as well, some readers are picky and get confused by spaces (like iBooks).
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
luthar28
Enthusiast

Thanks. Works great!
Advert