Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-15-2020, 10:19 PM   #1
helpplease
helpplease began at the beginning.

Device: Mac, VM solutions
epubcheck ERROR: Links points to a location not present in target file

Hi: I am very new to epub creation. New to Sigil. New to forum posting.

Please let me know, if I have not posted in correct place.

I ran the epubchecker on my new epub and receive many many errors. Very disheartening given I thought it was wonderful before running this epub checker.

The problem is now, I dont understand how to fix. Lets take the most common one "Links points to a location not present in the target file" Given I created this epub by taking the html from web page, I did expect errors, but not many many.

By word Link, I am assuming epubchecker mean a HTML is not correct sytax (?ill formed) rather than an actual URL link (hyperlink) not working.

for example
Code:
<div class="div1   "><a name="subj-ISBN-chapter-6-div1-1"></a>

<h2 class="titleHeading2"><p class="  " id="subj-isbn-chapter-6-p-892">Introduction</p></h2>
What of the above is the "link"?
How do I manually test a "link"? I am much better seeing things real live to understand mechanics.

If you think you can help me become less muddled -- I would value it very much. Thankyou.
helpplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Typically a "link" is referencing the '<a href=""></a>' tag.

The error code is telling you that the href="" is not pointing to, or can't be found in, the correct location. Here is a reference to look up the particulars.

In general you want it to look like:
<a href="#mylink">Go to my linked location.</a>

<p id="mylink">This is my linked location.</p>

- or, if it is on a different document:
<a href="htmlpage.html#mylink">Go to my linked location on a different document.</a>

It is important to note that the href and id must have the identical name...and it is case sensitive. So ISBN and isbn are NOT the same.

Last edited by Turtle91; 09-16-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
In general you want it to look like:
<a href="mylink">Go to my linked location.</a>
This should be <a href="#mylink">
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
do you really name the <a>? It is an ePub and there are better ways to get to the TOc.

Code:
<div class="div1   "><a name="subj-ISBN-chapter-6-div1-1"></a>

<h2 class="titleHeading2"><p class="  " id="subj-isbn-chapter-6-p-892">Introduction</p></h2>
Also, there are errors in that code.

Code:
<div class="div1"><a name="subj-ISBN-chapter-6-div1-1"></a>

<h2 class="titleHeading2"><p id="subj-isbn-chapter-6-p-892">Introduction</p></h2>
I would dump the "<a name". You don't need it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
This should be <a href="#mylink">
Yup, you're right...missed that
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 01:56 PM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpplease View Post
Lets take the most common one "Links points to a location not present in the target file"
Since this an error message generated by the built-in Calibre Editor checker, you might want to click Try to fix all correctable errors automatically.

BTW, both Calibre Editor and Sigil have built-in tools that you can use to check for broken links (Tools > Reports > Links).

Also, you might want to consider using dedicated browser extensions such as DownThemAll! to download the initial HTML file.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote