Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-30-2020, 05:42 AM   #1
javaguru
javaguru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Question KOA3 jailbreak with direct NAND flashing - Possible?

I have a Kindle Oasis 3 that I would love to jailbreak. To that end, I am considering getting myself a ZIF socket and desoldering the NAND to flash a jailbroken image onto it. Supposing I did that, how hard would it be to make an image for that purpose or modify mine with the necessary changes? I'm willing to go through some decent expense and trouble to make it work. Is this impossible, or merely crazy?
javaguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Given that the JB is essentially a single public key, if you can mount (and/or dump->patch->restore) the rootfs, you're golden.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #3
javaguru
javaguru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Given that the JB is essentially a single public key, if you can mount (and/or dump->patch->restore) the rootfs, you're golden.
That is encouraging. Will it work regardless of firmware version? Mine is updated from the factory version to 5.12.3.
javaguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:28 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Pretty much, as long as stuff is known to behave on said FW version (which it currently still is). But that's more a question of "will this actually serve any purpose".

As far as "is it doable", the answer is pretty much always going to be yes, irrelevant of FW version.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote