Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
carolehughes
carolehughes began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Im so tired of software problems with kobo

I have 2 kobos a touch and an original, I spend too much time babying them trying to unplug them correctly but I still get the errors, after the last software update it, the touch now says set up half the time when I turn it on.

I would honestly change the people that write the software for kobo, its not new now, I would think they had the bugs straightened out, but no, so now my touch wants to set up continually and my original kobo decided tonite that it wants a big white blank screen

Does the kindle software have this many problems, I think Ive had enough and will toss the pair of them and go get a Kindle
carolehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
Aemma
Aemma began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolehughes View Post
I have 2 kobos a touch and an original, I spend too much time babying them trying to unplug them correctly but I still get the errors, after the last software update it, the touch now says set up half the time when I turn it on.

I would honestly change the people that write the software for kobo, its not new now, I would think they had the bugs straightened out, but no, so now my touch wants to set up continually and my original kobo decided tonite that it wants a big white blank screen

Does the kindle software have this many problems, I think Ive had enough and will toss the pair of them and go get a Kindle
I very much empathize. Sadly, I think that I'm not far behind you in chucking the works and getting something else. Question is after only having it for 5 months (my kobo touch), will Chapters/Indigo reimburse me for it? It isn't working! and there doesn't seem to be a person in sight able to answer my questions adequately or even remotely try to help me. It's quite frustrating.
Aemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
KoboNo
Connoisseur
KoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo
Unfortunately Kobo has chosen a path where they design and develop a device and software for that device, hope for the best, forget about it, and move on to the next device. Original Kobo users have been left behind a long time ago (six months after its release) because Kobo switched focus on the Kobo Wi Fi, followed by Kobo Touch, and now Kobo Vox.

The switch in focus came as a hit to the original users in two ways: very poorly designed and tested software and poor customer service to fix those issues. This is the very reason that many of the Kobo users that frequented these forums have stopped coming. They've found other devices by companies that do a better job keeping their customers happy.

It takes time, but eventually, if this trend continues people will start noticing. When the Vox has numerous buggy software updates and gets dropped in six months for another "new" device, people may notice the lack of respect from Kobo to their customers.

Enjoy your device if it works now, until a software update is released that causes the desktop application to crash or not recognize your device; forgets your current "bookmarks"; deletes your books; or loops certain parts of a book while reading by repeating them over and over again. These are all past errors that original users, have unfortunately, gone through.

I, as a single user of one of these original devices, will never again buy from Kobo. There is a limit to the number of poor decisions one company can make until customers start looking at other solutions. I am still using my Kobo (removed the desktop app and am manually adding books), but am considering, as my next device, either a plain reader from Sony or a more useful device in a tablet.

Thank you Kobo, but you failed; you failed keeping the original customers that have supported you from the start. Good luck.
KoboNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I wondered when you would stop by NoNoNo. What are you reading on now?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Stone tablets maybe? I think that technology is stable..
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I also wanted to add some perspective. When the first Kobo was released, Nook, Sony, and Amazon were also selling devices that have now been superseded twice by newer models. This has been an amazing time for eBook readers. The market, and people's expectations, have changed rapidly. The choice has always been to move to better hardware, more capacity for additional features, or remain stuck with old hardware with limitations that are no longer acceptable.

The Kobo WiFi has not been updated in a very long time. It is, however, still an active part of the Kobo lineup, and we were recently told that it will be updated. In fact, not too long ago, one of the senior developers asked for people who would be interested in beta testing the WiFi changes to contact him. Mike Serbinins, the Kobo CEO said that the WiFi would get Pulse, btw.

The Touch and the Vox are very different devices. Kobo has been very clear about their dedication to improving and continuing their eINK devices, even as they make another option available to people who want a "reader with benefits" like the Vox. This means that there are three devices, with important distinctions, all of which are seen as being current and are being worked on.

As I make my decisions about new devices to consider for purchase, one of things that stands out for me is that Kobo actually makes changes and improvements after release. I do not have (and am not stuck with) the feature set that was sold to me six months ago; I have a device with additional capabilities, some of which I didn't know I wanted until they appeared.

This is not without its risks and problems. I believe that most of the problems have to do with the issues caused by enormous growth over a very short period of time and a lack of the deep pocket funding to scale up in the way that is called for. This includes problems that have to do with a lack of communication and customer support that seems to get overwhelmed when there is a new device or a big problem. This sort of thing may change if the folks that bought Kobo make the investment in it that everyone is hoping for.

The Kobo is not for everyone. There is a certain amount of tumult along the way as changes are made to existing devices. A "what you see is what you get" device, that remains almost entirely the same until replaced by a newer device might be a better choice for some people. Other folks are still perfectly happy reading on a several generations old device that I may find unacceptable slow and problematic in other ways. Heck, a friend of mine who bought his Kobo-1 the same week I did has still never purchased a book--he is reading his way through the 100 free classics that came with it.

When you are out to buy your first reader, none of the reviews may deal with the aspects of the device that (later) become the most important to you. Kobo was a huge unknown when I bought my first device from them. I have owned all four of their devices, and I will probably buy whatever comes down the pipe next. It's a good match for my needs. It's OK if it isn't a good match for everyone--it doesn't have to be--there are so many good choices out there for people to enjoy.

Last edited by taming; 11-16-2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: clarity and oopsies in spelling
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
KoboNo
Connoisseur
KoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I wondered when you would stop by NoNoNo. What are you reading on now?
I am still using the original Kobo reader and I like the device. The hardware is fine for the price, however the software releases and customer support is horrible. This has always been their problem. To those that are blind to this, I ask you this: How many buggy software releases did they give to us? How many bug-free software releases did they give to us? The ratio should clear the fog for those that wish to ignore Kobo's faults.

And for those that will reply: All companies release, to some degree, buggy software. Yes this is true, however, if Microsoft released an update to Internet Explorer that lost all your bookmarks, what would your response be? If they released an update that removed your files (ebooks) from your storage device (Kobo), what would your response be? If they released an update that no longer recognized the devices that you plugged into your PC, what would your response be? And on top of that, when you contacted them to get help on the issue, what would your response be if it took them a month to solve the issue for you or, worse yet, they never replied to your issue?

You can enjoy your Kobo device. I try to. But their mistakes are evident. As a result of these mistakeS - not a single mistake - some people, such as myself, made a decision to not invest in their hardware and software in the future.

Last edited by KoboNo; 11-16-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I haven't had an issue with any of the firmware updates, and I, too, own all the Kobos (x2 since my husband does as well.) I, too, preordered my first KO and had it on the day of release. My husband and I gave our KOs to our daughters when we upgraded, and they used them until recently without any issue (we just got around to loading their books onto our older K WiFi for them). One of my sisters also used her KO without issue until she upgraded to the Touch model.

Now, ADE activation codes are a whole 'nother matter altogether!
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
If I owned a device that I didn't like, I would sell it or discard it and move on. I certainly wouldn't hang around in forums and complain about it to people who aren't having issues. Since I bought mine many months ago, I bought a second for my wife, and my sister-in-law also bought one on my recommendation. We're all satisfied with no problems. I've been in IT for more than 30 years, and I know two things: 1) the grass is always greener on the other side, and 2) everything has bugs.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboNo View Post
And for those that will reply: All companies release, to some degree, buggy software. Yes this is true, however, if Microsoft released an update to Internet Explorer that lost all your bookmarks, what would your response be? If they released an update that removed your files (ebooks) from your storage device (Kobo), what would your response be? If they released an update that no longer recognized the devices that you plugged into your PC, what would your response be? And on top of that, when you contacted them to get help on the issue, what would your response be if it took them a month to solve the issue for you or, worse yet, they never replied to your issue?
Clearly you show a certain, how should I say, lack of experienced perspective with regards to Microsoft Updates. That being said, I'm sorry your Kobo experience hasn't been as stable as your PC. I think the KT is a reasonably good device at a good price, though there is better for those who want something a little pricier.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I moved on to a Nook touch a month ago, from a Kobo wifi and then a Kobo touch. I would recommend it highly, it works exactly like I had hoped the Kobo would, and you can easily drag and drop Kobo books onto the Nook. I believe the Kindle is more proprietary, and you may have problems getting it to cooperate with your kepubs.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
mayamo
mayamo began at the beginning.

i like my kobo touch very much but i have to admit. THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE.
1. they never pick up the phone when i call the help centre. I was literally listening to the please hold music for an hour
2. they never reply to my emails to helpdesk. I've sent 3 emails regarding 3 different problems, and in all cases they told me that it will take 24-48hrs to reply. BUT NO. IT'S BEEN A WEEK and STILL NO ANSWER!
I just had to google and read through this forum to get all the help I needed.

so yeah, kobo touch is awesome, but their helpdesk SUXKS!!
mayamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
Now, ADE activation codes are a whole 'nother matter altogether!
Agree, they have a way of really winding me up.

We have 4 kobos in this house (one original and 3 KT's). Yes we've had a few problems but overall we all love the device, it gets the kids reading and it's saving us in bookshelf space. At the moment the KT has been the most stable it has been since release and although I'm looking forward to the new firmware, I'd be quite happy without it.

It's geographic restrictions and obscene ebook pricing in New Zealand that make my blood boil.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #14
KoboNo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latch View Post
If I owned a device that I didn't like, I would sell it or discard it and move on. I certainly wouldn't hang around in forums and complain about it to people who aren't having issues. Since I bought mine many months ago, I bought a second for my wife, and my sister-in-law also bought one on my recommendation. We're all satisfied with no problems. I've been in IT for more than 30 years, and I know two things: 1) the grass is always greener on the other side, and 2) everything has bugs.
I disagree. I think it is very important to let people know, if something is wrong with a device's software, or a company that makes the device and/or software. I would want, for instance, to know any disadvantages with a Sony reader, a RIM tablet device, or anything else I may be considering to buy. You may prefer all-compliments-to-Kobo on this section of the forums, but it is very useful to inform potential future owners of the device about its faults. The hardware is great: it does what it is designed to do; however, the software is poorly written and will cause frustration for most users.

In regards to your point #2, yes everything has bugs, but not to the extent that Kobo has had. A few to remember from the past updates to the original device are:

- lost bookmarks (place where you left off in your readings)
- lost books (the ones that come free with the device)
- duplicate pages (e.g., pages 5-7 would be shown twice)
- desktop app not recognizing device

You can put as much sugar on these as you like, and claim that you were not directly affected; but these are known bugs that have been discussed here many times. Once again, what would your reaction be if next week's Windows Update 1. lost your favourites from Internet Explorer, 2. lost some of your files you recently saved, and 3. did not recognize some of your devices that you plug into your PC?

You would certainly be vocal if these occurred on Windows. Why should our opinion of Kobo be any different if these bugs appear over and over again in update after update. Because it is a Canadian company?

You may like your device. I do; I enjoy it as much as I can. But for some previous replies: do not try to discourage people from writing about their bad experiences. If you don't want to be educated about its past faults then don't read; but others would like to know, especially if they're looking to spend one or two hundred dollars on a device.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #15
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
however, the software is poorly written and will cause frustration for most users.
I've never had any of these issues you listed, although I am aware that some people have, but how do you go from that to "most users"? The last poll here I saw showed an overwhelming number of people being pleased with their KT. You no longer use your KT, but you're in here complaining about them still. It just seems like sour grapes to me.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote