Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 AM   #16
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I too had no problem updating my Whitcoulls bought Kobo via downloading the update. I don't use the Whitcoulls software, btw.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:14 AM   #17
Marcels
Marcels began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Glad to hear some Kiwis are having luck with the 1.4 upgrade.

I'm having are really hassle. I installed the upgrade using my Windows 7 laptop. the process when fine but when it completed the Kobo sat with are 'upgrading you Kobo now' and 'one moment' screen. I left this for around 2 hours with no change.

In the end I reset the Kobo with a paper clip, now I get a loading screen with the progress squares in the bottom right corner, once 7 squares appear the Kobo freezes. Treid reseting a few times. The Kobo helpdesk to me to return it.

Does any one have any ideas on how to fix this? I'm trying to install the firmware again on a Vista PC to see if that works.
Marcels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 02:43 AM   #18
GraemeWi
GraemeWi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikobo View Post
Whitcoulls in NZ don't seem to like the Kobo at all. The general attitude is that the Kobo is only in store as a backup in case their bricks and mortar model disappears, and it's a kind of quid-both-ways bet on behalf of their parent company. I can see how the employees could feel like that! So if you show interest in the Kobo they think you're threatening their jobs...
They did sell the Franklin BookMan thing during the early 2000's in the 'flagship' stores. I didn't feel too much pressure from it at the time, I wanted one but couldn't justify spending the $

Cheers,

G
GraemeWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:35 AM   #19
Darth Kram
Darth Kram began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kobo
The employees I dealt with in Whitcoulls couldn't have been more friendly.

I have a Windows 7 laptop, the upgrade went without a hitch using one of the links posted.
Darth Kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:03 AM   #20
Marcels
Marcels began at the beginning.

I finally got the firmware update to work, if your interested have a look at this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90527

During this process I got to talk to the manager of my local Whitcoulls about the Kobo. I have to say there support was great but their knowleadge and interest in the Kobo is low. I can understand this as they're a bookshop and electronic books aren't what they're there to sell, in fact I got a sense of fear about the book, maybe due to it being a tech issue or maybe a fear in loss of sales.

I would have liked it if there was someone in NZ with the knowleadge to support issues on the Kobo. Whitcoulls staff could benefit from some training and internal support for this product.

Last edited by Marcels; 07-14-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Marcels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 02:10 AM   #21
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... Wondering if there is an eta (firmware update) for us New Zealand Kobo users ...

Although the participants here are more "sophisticated" than "John Q. Public" in the eReader marketplace, I had no true qualms with v1.0 of my U.S. Kobo. I mean, it allowed me to ---

- view the freebie, pre-loaded books just fine

- view .pdf files I loaded onto a 4GB SD card just fime

- view purchases made online at Borders.com just fine.

There were no deadly problems with my unit right out of the box with its firmware v1.0.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:51 AM   #22
talios
talios began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader
I was just looking at the Whitcoulls troubleshooting site:

http://www.whitcoulls.co.nz/ebooks-troubleshooting

and it mentions the 1.4 firmware upgrade!

http://download.kobobooks.com/deskto.../KoboSetup.exe
http://download.kobobooks.com/deskto.../KoboSetup.dmg

I already updated my Kobo to 1.4 the other week using the US software, but just discovered I could no longer sync using the Whitcoulls app as the desktop software was out of date.

Thankfully - this new software fixes that. I'd love to know why no one from Whitcoulls emailed owners about the updates, or even why the EAP process never mentioned it!
talios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:35 AM   #23
GraemeWi
GraemeWi is on a distinguished road

Looks like the troubleshooting page was updated 16 July, it could have been done in Australia, after the close of play in NZ on Friday night.

Cheers,

G
GraemeWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #24
51Bush
51Bush began at the beginning.

Thanks Talios!
Upgraded our Kobo via the Canadian software a week ago in desperation at hearing zip from Whitcoulls. It all worked beautifully. Now even the Whitcoulls software is fixed thanks to you.
Agree the battery indicator is very non-linear for the first 200-300 pages but then settles down. Since the 1.4 upgrade, the Kobo is being beaten to death by the wife (and Steig Larsen) and is definitely lasting much longer - darn it - I'll never get my hands on it!!!
51Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #25
pjmnz
pjmnz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Just finished the firmware upgrade, all went well, and now just like the update notes said, i can resize my epubs. More news riping fun with calibre.

Last edited by pjmnz; 07-18-2010 at 11:24 PM.
pjmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:23 PM   #26
lebleaux
lebleaux began at the beginning.

Device: none
Whitcoulls poor response

I have asked a few questions through their support line without response. I would really like to know why we are being charged NZ$50 approx more for a Kobo here in NZ than the equivalent price in Au. I like to support local businesses but it looks as though I will be buying in Au - plenty of people going back and forward.
lebleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:46 PM   #27
pjmnz
pjmnz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
@lebleaux, it's worse $59.72. At that amount i should of looked at importing, my kobo was shipped from Oz. I'm also guessing it gets send back to Oz for it warranty.
pjmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #28
stephenb
stephenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo, Amazon Kindle 3
Back on topic, I updated mine last night and it went very well. The "wait a moment" screen after the reset is horribly disconcerting, though. If I could change one thing about the process it would be to change that screen to give a more realistic indication of the minute or two that it takes to do this.
stephenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:50 AM   #29
Minestrone
Minestrone began at the beginning.

LOL, "wait" screen very scary ... I left the room and mowed the lawns ... couldn't handle it :-)

Still haven't tried update and Whitcoulls site together
Minestrone is offline   Reply With Quote