Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
Apis
Apis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3
best reader that can be rooted

My Sony prs-t3 broke (while charging) after 4 months and Sony refuse to replace it so I'm looking for a new e-reader from another brand.

I would like to be able to install custom programs (i.e. rooted/open).

I'm looking for a reader with the following features:
  1. cheap
  2. rootable
  3. touchscreen
  4. wifi, not an absolute must but it's a big bonus
  5. built in light would be a bonus but isn't necessary
Resolution doesn't matter that much; I was hoping to be able to read pdfs on the T3, but almost all pdf files are formatted for us-letter or A4 size paper and they weren't really practical to read on such a small screen anyway.

Would be grateful for advice, especially on how hard they are to root and make/install custom programs for!
Apis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The old Nook ST is good rooted. Much better than rooted Sony T1. You'll often need to find old versions of apps to run on it as the version of Android is 2.1. Great little e-ink tablet though. Stable as hell, super-hard to brick and dirt-cheap if you can find one.

Otherwise, you'll probably have to get a Kobo.
Personally, I'd get the Aura HD. It's 6.8", has the best screen available and a good light. You have to overwrite the existing OS with the Tolino OS, but it's a well-trod path so you should be okay.
Also the the Glo and the mini can be rooted in the same way. The light on the Glo doesn't go as low as one would like, but these lights can't be used in pitch-darkness anyway, so no big deal. I don't think the new Aura (6" non-HD) can be rooted as it lacks the internal / external (?) Sd-card slot.
Not sure of the Android version. Probably 2.3. So again you need to find old versions of apps and install them manually (i.e. not via Market).

alternatively you could get the new Onyx a lot of people are raving about. It's expensive and has to be imported from Europe, but runs a later version of Android. It's 6.8" and has the same excellent Aura HD screen. I believe the light doesn't go down as low as the Aura HD's. I think apps can d/led direct from Market, so easiest to use in that sense.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, the Onyx T68 is standard Android 4.0 with the Google Play store, so you can simply download and install any app, just as you would on an LCD tablet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #4
Apis
Apis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3
Thanks, that was very helpful. The Onyx is tempting but I think I will try the Nook ST since I can get it for only a fraction of the cost and it seems to match my wishlist nicely!
Apis is offline   Reply With Quote