Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
feedbakbwr
Redwood Original
feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
SD card at boot up

Firmware 2.6.1

I have all of my books on my SD card. I just updated my kobo today and notice that at boot it will not load the SD contents. I need to eject and re-insert it to show the books.

Anyone notice this or is it known or known fixes?
I searched and could not find anything mentioned on it.
feedbakbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedbakbwr View Post
Firmware 2.6.1

I have all of my books on my SD card. I just updated my kobo today and notice that at boot it will not load the SD contents. I need to eject and re-insert it to show the books.

I have a similar problem, which might be the same.

When I power off, it treats the SD card as newly inserted each time. Therefore all the items (except strangely the first tile) that were on SD card are gone and when I power up, I always get a tile saying I've added new books (242 or however many are on the SD card) when I definitely haven't done anything other than power off.

I don't power off, all that much and it doesn't happen when going in and out of sleep mode, but still annoying when I was testing fonts and had to keep powering off for them to take effect.

But maybe yours is really different and it's not that we are just expressing ourselves differently.

If nothing shows up at all from the SD card, it might be a different case.

I just tried powering off and then removing and adding the SD card to see if it will behave better than just messing about trying to add tiles after powering up, and that seems worse for me. It freezes without showing what its up to (processing the books) and then still leaves me with the tiles being only non-SD card related.

Btw I just realised you don't have glo or aura, so you don't have the tiles I'm referring to...so it may be a similar problem that would manifest itself differently on different device and UI.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@feedbakbwr: I have seen that to. But, only on my Touch and not on my Glo. Other than this, the SD card is working fine with 2.6.1.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
I have a similar problem, which might be the same.

When I power off, it treats the SD card as newly inserted each time. Therefore all the items (except strangely the first tile) that were on SD card are gone and when I power up, I always get a tile saying I've added new books (242 or however many are on the SD card) when I definitely haven't done anything other than power off.
I think this is a separate issue. The tile is shown whenever the SD card is rediscovered. So, after a power on, disconnect from USB or inserting the card. But, the books aren't being readded. If the card had been seen before, then it is checked for changes. Any books where processed and do not appear to have changed are not touched in the internal database, so they keep their reading status and shelves. If you dismiss that tile, eject the card and resinsert it, the tile displays with the count of books on the card that have not been finished.

It has a sort of logic to it, but I don't think it is the correct behaviour. Maybe that is just because I don't like it.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #5
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I get something similar.
Every time I turn on my Glo, the SD card books are not displayed on the front screen..
If I then display my library and go back to the home screen, it'll show the last book I read only on the home screen.

Before 2.6.1 it filled up the home screen with all the books I had recently read it can fit on the screen.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
feedbakbwr
Redwood Original
feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Thanks all. I get nothing showing even if I go to library. I just have to eject and insert the sd card again to get it to read it (hot swap) after every power on. Not a huge deal but annoying.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedbakbwr View Post
Firmware 2.6.1

Its a slow process. You have to wait for the device to fully boot. Its way slower then it should be. I mean extremely slow. So turn it on wait for it to boot. Go have a coffee... read the paper and then come back to your device in 5 to 10 mins.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think this is a separate issue. The tile is shown whenever the SD card is rediscovered. So, after a power on, disconnect from USB or inserting the card. But, the books aren't being readded. If the card had been seen before, then it is checked for changes. Any books where processed and do not appear to have changed are not touched in the internal database, so they keep their reading status and shelves. If you dismiss that tile, eject the card and resinsert it, the tile displays with the count of books on the card that have not been finished.

It has a sort of logic to it, but I don't think it is the correct behaviour. Maybe that is just because I don't like it.
ok.

but why does it kick everything off my my tiles on my homepage? and make it hard to add them back (even if I open the books again, they don't appear till I've opened something that was already on the homepage and close it again...then they all show up at once...like the homescreen can't be refreshed by solely opening a book off an SD card....books in the main memory don't have a problem)?

taming had suggested that this behaviour is limited to my device and she hadn't heard of others with it, so I should try rebuilding the db with a sign out and in. but i thought i'd wait and see if anyone else had the same issues before doing that.

Are you saying this is all normal and anyone who uses an SD card and 2.6.1 will/should be seeing this?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The library tile, on my Aura, seems to show all 120 or so books on my SD card after a sync, but the "new" tiles only show up when I add a new book to the SD card. I think there is some general wonkiness with SD cards, in general. I hope that is addressed sooner, rather than later.

If everytime you sync you are getting multiple "new" tiles reflecting books that are on your SD card, I am not seeing that. It's annoying enough to have "new" tiles when I load new books, so I feel your pain.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
ok.

but why does it kick everything off my my tiles on my homepage? and make it hard to add them back (even if I open the books again, they don't appear till I've opened something that was already on the homepage and close it again...then they all show up at once...like the homescreen can't be refreshed by solely opening a book off an SD card....books in the main memory don't have a problem)?

taming had suggested that this behaviour is limited to my device and she hadn't heard of others with it, so I should try rebuilding the db with a sign out and in. but i thought i'd wait and see if anyone else had the same issues before doing that.

Are you saying this is all normal and anyone who uses an SD card and 2.6.1 will/should be seeing this?
I just reread your original post, and there is something more going on.

Firstly, when I first insert the SD card with some books on it, after the processing has finished, the library tile shows the count of new books added and tiles for three (I think) of the new books. After dismissing these tiles, removing the card and inserting it again, only the library tile is redisplayed. It shows however many books were on the SD card as new. The same thing happens after a power off or connecting and disconnecting from the PC.

What you describe makes me thing there is a database problem. If the processing screen is displayed each time, then it definitely is corrupt. But, it could be a smaller problem in the database affecting just the table used for the tiles.

You can do a check of the database from a PC. If you use calibre, my Kobo Utilities plugin has an option to check the database. Though there is a fair chance that calibre will report an error when it sees the device and tries to read the database. Otherwise, you need an SQLite browser and execute "PRAGMA integrity_check". If it returns "OK", the the database is fine and the problem is elsewhere. Anything else and the database is corrupt.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Quote:

Firstly, when I first insert the SD card with some books on it, after the processing has finished, the library tile shows the count of new books added and tiles for three (I think) of the new books. After dismissing these tiles, removing the card and inserting it again, only the library tile is redisplayed. It shows however many books were on the SD card as new. The same thing happens after a power off or connecting and disconnecting from the PC.

What you describe makes me thing there is a database problem. If the processing screen is displayed each time, then it definitely is corrupt. But, it could be a smaller problem in the database affecting just the table used for the tiles.

You can do a check of the database from a PC. If you use calibre, my Kobo Utilities plugin has an option to check the database. Though there is a fair chance that calibre will report an error when it sees the device and tries to read the database. Otherwise, you need an SQLite browser and execute "PRAGMA integrity_check". If it returns "OK", the the database is fine and the problem is elsewhere. Anything else and the database is corrupt.
Yeah, it doesn't show the "new" tiles (I'm not sure why I had forgotten that if it was seeing them as new, it would do this), but it does cause issues with all the tiles of SD card books being kicked off the home screen. Except the top of the last read, if it happens to be on the SD card WON'T be kicked off the homescreen. All the books I've read recently still show up when I go to the books list in the library....so my glo still seems to "remember" which books SHOULD be on the homescreen.

While trying to figure out what was going on, I've probably powered off my glo more than I have since owning it. So normally this wouldn't be a huge issue for me, but I'm a bit surprised if others are seeing this and not complaining. I don't mind the added tile, but I hate that the books I was reading aren't on the homepage anymore.

I have tried both your plugin and the sqlite method of checking the database. Both come back as OK. That's another reason I've just left this issue and hoped for a fix. Or that someone would confirm it's not just me.

So if you fill your whole homescreen (on your glo) with only books from your SD card, then power off, power on, what books do you have on your homescreen?

btw sorry feedbakbwr for derailing your thread...I just thought there was a possibility we had the same issue.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
feedbakbwr
Redwood Original

Quote:
btw sorry feedbakbwr for derailing your thread...I just thought there was a possibility we had the same issue.
No worries I think there is just many issues surrounding the SD cards at the moment.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

I don't get the processing screen when I boot with the uSD card installed. There is a couple of minutes delay when the dancing squares freeze before the boot process continues which is much better than the delays with 2.5.x but 2.4.1 had no delay at that point in the boot cycle.

After a power cycle, the only tile for a book on the uSd card is when the currently being read book is on the uSD card. The library tiles shows shows all the books in the library as being added, Any tiles for books on the internal storage are still present as well as Reading Stats, Sync and Recommended (if they were visible before the power cycle).

The database checks out okay after the boot so I don't think it is a database issue. Not a big issue to me at this time since I don't power cycle my Aura very often but still something that I'm hoping is addressed in the next firmware revision.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I don't get the processing screen when I boot with the uSD card installed. There is a couple of minutes delay when the dancing squares freeze before the boot process continues which is much better than the delays with 2.5.x but 2.4.1 had no delay at that point in the boot cycle.

After a power cycle, the only tile for a book on the uSd card is when the currently being read book is on the uSD card. The library tiles shows shows all the books in the library as being added, Any tiles for books on the internal storage are still present as well as Reading Stats, Sync and Recommended (if they were visible before the power cycle).

The database checks out okay after the boot so I don't think it is a database issue. Not a big issue to me at this time since I don't power cycle my Aura very often but still something that I'm hoping is addressed in the next firmware revision.

Regards,
David
Ok, that sounds like the behaviour I'm seeing.

I only have kepubs on my internal memory, and I've been mostly reading epubs, so I get really old "recent reads"/shelves on my homescreen when this happens.

But I'm like you, I don't power off that much normally. So I'm going to stop experimenting, cause that's when the behaviour does drive me batty.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:54 AM   #15
aerosol_grey
aerosol_grey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
I have the same problem with my touch as the original poster. When the touch is powered on the books on the SD card just do not show up. If I eject the card and reinsert the books appear quickly. If the card is not present when the touch is booted then it turns on much quicker so it must be doing something with the card but it then just ignores the content.

This problem has only appeared with 2.6.1. I did a factory reset and reinstall but the problem has persisted so it is not a glitched install.
aerosol_grey is offline   Reply With Quote