Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
geep
geep began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is the 505 still a valid choice?

Given the new entries from Sony complete with the newer technologies/features is purchasing a 505 still a good idea?

Will there be a substantial discount of remaining 505s or are they already getting scarce?

I like the build factor of the 505 and the screen size so the 300 seems like too much of a down grade but not sure if I need the touch screen features of the 600

All comments appreciated
geep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Oh yes! It's still a great device, and I've been seeing posts here that they are on sale around $200 or so.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The 505 is still an excellent device.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Look at the 300 and then look at the 505. The 300 is very similar to the 505. The main difference is that the 300 has a 5" screen and the 505 has a 6" screen. In my opinion, I prefer the 6" screen. And given that the specification of the 300 is similar, I'd say the 505 is quite viable. The 300 does have more internal memory, but the 505 does have memory card slots.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
505 is still a great device!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I concur with some of the above. The 505 is still Sony's best offering for some things. Since I generally make my own PDFs, I've experimented a bit with formatting for 5" screens and unless I'm typsetting at 6-7pt, I am not satisfied with making book blocks in that size. Despite the marginal linear resolution upgrade in the 300, I don't think it's going to display that size particularly well. If that Epson-Seiko LCD had ever come to fruition with 1600x1200 resolution, perhaps screens would be more tolerable with fonts smaller than 10pt (which is needed really to get good justification without excessive hyphenation on small screens like the 505 and 300).

I've been setting more books in 8.5pt Karmina and 8pt ITC Mendoza Roman for my 505, with decent results. I used to try 10-11pt fonts and didn't mind them much, but after a while, the extra gaps in the justification in paragraphs started to bother me. On the 300 I'd have to drop them down even more, and most people don't really enjoy reading that size, especially with the limited resolution and contrast of the display.

Of course, most people here seem satisfied at reading >12pt on their readers and don't mind poor, gappy justification (or left-justified with ragged right). For a good clean full-justification with normal-sized typefaces, you either need a bigger screen (perhaps 8 inches diagonal or more), or you need to use a lot of hyphens, which can get a bit annoying.

The 505 is still about as good as it gets in terms of e-ink right now, and gives that very useful SD card slot that the 300 doesn't. Now's not a bad time to buy since they're cheaper, and not hard to find yet. Looking around, you can get them under $200 pretty easily.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Look at the 300 and then look at the 505. The 300 is very similar to the 505. The main difference is that the 300 has a 5" screen and the 505 has a 6" screen. In my opinion, I prefer the 6" screen.
Have you read a book on a 5inch device Jon? I'm just curious if it is experience you base your opinion on, or feeling?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:06 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
After looking at the features of the new and upcoming models I bought my 505 yesterday.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:42 AM   #9
tovanhung
tovanhung began at the beginning.

Device: HP4700, Sony PRS-505
I bought PRS-600. One day later, I returned and chave chosen PRS-505. Personally, Sony PRS-505 is still great device!
tovanhung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Have you read a book on a 5inch device Jon? I'm just curious if it is experience you base your opinion on, or feeling?

BOb
I have taken a look at the 300. I just didn't care for the screen size.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #11
graydw57
graydw57 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Interesting.

I have also picked up a 505. What I've noticed that within this week, they've gone out-of-stock in the Sony direct store, and Dell's store. Target dropped them a while ago, but my local store still has 2 or 3 in stock. Ebay prices seem pretty firmly in the $250 range, with at least one vendor holding at $280 (but I don't know how many he's selling.) Got sniped myself trying to get a red one at $250 (sold at $251), but found a cheaper deal elsewhere, so it's OK, I guess.

Get 'em now, when people start seriously comparing I expect to see a bump in price for the last new-in-box ones, then a steady trade in used devices.
graydw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
I bought a 505 for my wife from play.com (only delivers to the UK) for £149 about a month before the 300/600 were announced.

I still think I got a bargain. I still use my 500 everyday (C'mon Sony let us 500 users know what's happening re the 'upgrade path').
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #13
kaan
Connoisseur
kaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony prs-505
I would still choose the 505 if I had to buy today.
The features of the 300 and 600 leaves me with no desire to upgrade. The 505 is all I need, and if you are to believe the various members here on the forum, it still has the best screen.

When someone makes a full A4 reader with perfect PDF support, I might buy one for my tech books.

That being said, I think that most of the current readers on the market would satisfy my everyday needs.
kaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaan View Post
I would still choose the 505 if I had to buy today.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #15
Mindflayer
Mindflayer began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Buy at Borders. They ring up US$299 with a US$100 discount.
Mindflayer is offline   Reply With Quote