Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2024, 10:42 AM   #1
nameless
nameless began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 11th and Hisense Touch
Post The Kindle Vocabulary Builder option doesn't appear on my Kindle

A few months ago, I formatted my Kindle because I had plans to jailbreak it. Currently, I am on firmware version 5.16.4. I formatted my Kindle to avoid another upgrade, but I use vocabulary lookups for learning English. Today, I was about to import my lookups, and unexpectedly, they weren't even able to be set in the settings. My main question is: is there a chance to activate the vocabulary builder without signing up for my account and connecting to my network? (To prevent unexpected upgrades)
Every time I enter the library on my Kindle, a pop-up message appears: 'You must register your Kindle to view and download items from Cloud.'

Last edited by nameless; 01-08-2024 at 10:47 AM.
nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:53 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I do not know for sure, but I think it is very likely you need to register the Kindle to have Vocabulary Builder feature. The vocabulary database gets synced to cloud.

For example, you cannot create collections without signing in.

Also, if it is not registered to your account, you cannot use its serial number to DeDRM any books you purchase from Amazon (if that matters to you).

If you want to run KOReader, a Kobo or Pocketbook would be a less troublesome device to set up.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-08-2024 at 11:46 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2024, 12:38 PM   #3
nameless

As you mentioned, registering the Kindle is necessary to access the Vocabulary Builder feature. Here are the steps I followed (in case this could be useful for someone in the future):

1. I connected my Kindle to the PC.
2. Then, I created an "update.bin.tmp.partial" folder.
3. After creating the folder, I unplugged the Kindle.
4. Signed into my network.
5. Subsequently, signed into my Amazon account.
6. Once the Kindle was registered, I checked for new features. Afterward, I disconnected from my network, put the device in Airplane mode, and plugged it back into the PC to search for possible bin files for an upgrade. I then deleted them.

Furthermore, I restarted the device to see if it worked, and indeed, any updates were hopefully installed.
Old 01-08-2024, 12:48 PM   #4
nameless

Yes, my primary interest is running KOReader on my Kindle. I currently use a Hisense Touch, and I've been loving the experience with KOReader on that device. Since my main e-reader is the Kindle, I want to jailbreak the device to expand the reading experience. Additionally, I've been contemplating upgrading to a new device.