Notices

Old 12-21-2023, 01:07 PM   #1
Woodssi
Enthusiast
Woodssi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2)
Does Kindle automatically Justify text?

Hello peeps,

Have received gift of a new Kindle Paperwhite, and a flash drive with a load of EPUBs on.
Have been reading posts (not on here) from people saying that the displayed text will be Justify by default, with no option on the Kindle itself to change this.

I'd prefer to read in left-aligned format.

As such, is there a straightforward .css template that I could link to the EPUB files, or is there an easier way of doing it?

Thanks in advance.
Woodssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 06:41 PM   #2
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
As long as the epub file's css doesn't specifically tag the text as "justified" you can turn on left align in the font settings ('Aa', then under 'Layout,' you'll see 'Alignment').
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2023, 07:30 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
As long as the epub file's css doesn't specifically tag the text as "justified" you can turn on left align in the font settings ('Aa', then under 'Layout,' you'll see 'Alignment').
Isn't that only possible with the KFX format?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 08:05 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Isn't that only possible with the KFX format?
I think that's right.

What I'm not sure of is if PaperWhite 2 supports KFX. I think it does, in which case Send to Kindle will generate KFX (as will KFX Output plugin).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 09:30 PM   #5
dedeca
Enthusiast
dedeca is on a distinguished road

Device: PW3 and PW5
I like hyphenated text, but I'd also like the hyphenation to be disabled when I choose the option to align the text to the left... Come on, Amazon, it's not that difficult!
dedeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2023, 03:05 AM   #6
Woodssi
Enthusiast
Woodssi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I think that's right.

What I'm not sure of is if PaperWhite 2 supports KFX. I think it does, in which case Send to Kindle will generate KFX (as will KFX Output plugin).
If I'm reading this right, do you mean that I should use a program (say Calibre) rather than just copy and paste the file directly into the Kindle memory?

Is that where the alignment options can be chosen?
Woodssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 03:33 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodssi View Post
If I'm reading this right, do you mean that I should use a program (say Calibre) rather than just copy and paste the file directly into the Kindle memory?

Is that where the alignment options can be chosen?
You can't copy and paste epubs to your Kindle in any case. Kindles can't read epubs, they must be converted to a Kindle-compatible format first.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote