Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-09-2024, 07:33 AM   #1
herpez
herpez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7th Gen
Kindle PW 7th gen scratched screen repair

Hello!
I have a Kindle PW 7th gen and the screen got scratched on the surface.
I saw on ifixit that I can replace the surface layer instead of the entire screen, however it is for the PW2 and I have the 7th gen.
Does anyone knows if I can do the same repair stated on ifixit with my PW?
Ifixit url - https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Kindle+...cement)/156097
herpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 08:07 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I doubt the surface can be swapped. Try toothpaste (not gel kind) or headlamp scratch removal kit.
Test whatever on a CD case first.

Depends how deep the scratch is. A lot of polishing without pressure to avoid cracking substrate!

Also eink panels vary and have a calibration factor put in factory part of firmware that's not updated which users can't easily access. Just swapping the panel is a significant cost and often poor contrast. At least it's not cracked.

Edit:
That looks like a risky repair even if it does apply to a PW3 (gen 7) Kindle. I'd wonder if there is any front light after.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-09-2024 at 08:10 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 08:13 AM   #3
herpez
herpez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7th Gen
Thank you for your advice. I will keep as it is since it's not a big scratch and I can live with it.
herpez is offline   Reply With Quote