Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-02-2024, 11:07 AM   #1
perisiana
Connoisseur
perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Exclamation Translation error

I have a Kindle Oasis 10th gen with the latest firmware and use the translation features a lot since I'm reading in English lately which isn't my first language.
In the last two/three days I keep getting an error when I try to translate whole sentences.
It says "there have been an error, try again", only the first time I try to translate, after that the same sentence will work normally.
It doesn't recognize the language the first time, then I choose the right language and get the same error again, and finally the third time no matter what language I choose I get the sentence translated.
All my books are sideloaded and carefully refined with calibre so they all have the right language and ASIN in metadata, the error happened out of a sudden with the same book I was reading without error the days before, also the error happens with all my books now so I don't think there's an issue with them.
I tried to change wi-fi to see if the issue was in there but I still got the error.
Tried to restart the device multiple times but again no luck.

Some ideas about why it happens, a way to fix it etc? Is a bit annoying
perisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 06:48 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle uses Bing Translate service for phrase/sentence translation. It is working fine for me (checked on 2 Kindles).

There might be some sort of 'bad internet weather' where you are located, but short of traveling to some other location to try again, one may hope it clears up without you having to do anything (because it's not clear what you can do).

The Kindle apps also have Translate feature. You could at least see if those are working for a point of comparison. If it does, then at least you have a workaround until it's working again on your Oasis.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 09:54 PM   #3
perisiana
Connoisseur
perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Kindle uses Bing Translate service for phrase/sentence translation. It is working fine for me (checked on 2 Kindles).

There might be some sort of 'bad internet weather' where you are located, but short of traveling to some other location to try again, one may hope it clears up without you having to do anything (because it's not clear what you can do).

The Kindle apps also have Translate feature. You could at least see if those are working for a point of comparison. If it does, then at least you have a workaround until it's working again on your Oasis.

Thanks a lot for checking.
I tried with my kindle app and it works normally.
I reset the oasis, tried with sideloaded and amazon books and I still get the error, is really weird, Bing can't stand my kindle apparently lol
perisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:47 AM   #4
mediacloner
mediacloner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have the same problem with a specific book in a last generation of Kindle Paperwhite. This book was in mobi format. I changed to azw3 and the translation works properly. I hope I've solved your problem.
mediacloner is offline   Reply With Quote